Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, 92,

It's funny, when I stand from behind, I hardly recognize my truck. I used to stand back there and could barely see the "4WD" on the Mudflaps, ....plus I could just open the bed and sit down, ....literally, GOING DOWN to sit, hahaha. Now they're clearly visible and it sits 3" higher in the rear, so that's all different. Most importantly, when hitting bumps in the road or in the parking lot, it was SO MUCH EASIER on the back, etc, lol. I was SERIOUSLY bottoming out, and I'll get pics of the bumpstop to show the 3mm of rubber that'd rubbed off from the rubber stops, hahahaha. Not gonna happen anymore, thank goodness!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey Chef....i see a rear bumper project in your future
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM

HAHAHAH, so funny you said that....I'm actually looking, right now, trying to decide which one to CLICK ON, as we speak! lol. I can't handle it. The truck is pretty clean, and that's such an eye soar! I tried to find a used one for sale for a long time, ...but they're always bent or rusted or black....and I either want chrome or stainless, ya know?

Any ideas on that? Also, any ideas on where I can get those cool tail lights? I can't seem to find em! grrr, lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM

I like the WabFab bumper the best, ....but it's really the only one I've seen other than the stock one for 140$, postage included(chrome, same as mine). So my experience on rear bumpers is pretty slim. I'd like to get a push bar for the front, because I wanna mount these 6" RC's I have just waiting to be installed! lol. They came off a Dodge Ram I bought and turned around quick for some extra cash. I just can't justify, at the moment, spending 700$ for an ARB, ....as much as I LOVE THEM! lol. I'd rather get Tires and MAYBE a Bj-Spacers set for the front...(1.5" should do, eh?..., if I do it)
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM

XXXTREME and I absolutely loved our guide's bumper.....just the simple clean equivalent to a 2x4 (but steel of course) with 2 shackle mounts welded in...that's it.

i know your's needs to be different because or the wrap around.

what tail lights are you talking about? i got mine off ebay...???$60
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Ummmm, the taillights were on a truck, ...I think BigBlueToy or something like that...He's been taking and posting lots of pics of his Pick-up, Royal Metallic blue, your same body...and he has these tricked out taillights that look like they have lens brighteners, like domes inside. Hard to explain....More like the new Infinity type lights, more high tech looking? I don't really care too much about that, really.....

Was just looking at WabFab, Addicted and Trail Gear, ....they all look exactly the same. Are they? hahah. I notice even in Addicted Offroad site, the display truck is the same as the one on the trailgear site. So, ....are they all by TG? ...Or does Wabbit make his own? I'll ask him, just curious. They all say 1035 Alloy or something.

I like that guides bumper, too. But I think I need the wrap around type, because yes, our 4Runners our different. I just wonder if I need all that rock-guard type stuff that comes out on the side, etc. THEY LOOK GREAT, and I'm sure they're really strong, too.... so Maybe with that and the Front one, same style, I'd be good to go with lights, etc.

Again, I just really need to focus on what I NEED, first....the thing is, I've PUT THIS BUMPER OFF since I bought the thing with 100,000 miles on it....160,000 MILES AGO! hahaha. I think it's time, at least for the rear, and maybe just a brush guard for the front so I can get lights on it, yeah?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:13 PM

These are the taillights, 92....but looking again, this isn't what I was looking for. The ones I like are JUST like mine, 84-89 style, ....but with a nicer coloring and they're supposedly brighter, even with stock bulbs, let alone some of those tricked out ones, haha. ....here's Big Toys, ....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51491136
Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM

member SCUBA just fabbed up a rear bumper on a TACO that wraps around.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Yeah, I remember that.... Hmmmmm, lol. My neighbor could probably hook me up in 20 minutes with everything I'd need. He's a general contractor(the guy who did my Zuks with me)....who does mostly high end plumbing. Only thing is, he is SO busy, i hate to ask him for his time, ya know? I will ask though, ...why not. So, what about this one, in the quote on this post???.........3rd pic down from the top.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51493630
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM

not lit up....but they are nice.

reverse is real nice....of course that depends alot on the bulb too

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM

that bumper is nice and simple.....but you can see the missing side coverage....that would bother you....and me.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Yeah, ...it would bother me, hahaha. Actually, he has a bar it looks like, running along the side....but yeah, it's dinky. In front he has the ARB JUMBO-MONSTER THINGY, hahaha. but in back, that. Interesting, most definitely.

Ok, YES, I like your taillights, ....that's more like it, not so 'I AM ROBOT', hahaha. But, yours are different, ...do they sell mine where you got those? Where'd ya get em, hand it over! hahaha.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good Chef, I am thinking on the TG bumpers and sliders when the funds allow. or there is Maltese runner he built some nice bumpers, when I get the money i may have him build me some if hes up too it. The ZUK mod looks good. keep up the awsome work and lots of Pics
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yeah, ...it would bother me, hahaha. Actually, he has a bar it looks like, running along the side....but yeah, it's dinky. In front he has the ARB JUMBO-MONSTER THINGY, hahaha. but in back, that. Interesting, most definitely.

Ok, YES, I like your taillights, ....that's more like it, not so 'I AM ROBOT', hahaha. But, yours are different, ...do they sell mine where you got those? Where'd ya get em, hand it over! hahaha.

some knee-jerk ebay purchase....i think like $60 or less...like over a year ago too.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 PM

THANKS, COUGAR! I love your project, and well, mine has been QUITE eventful over the past few months, hahaha, so I guess I'd better keep at it or I'll lose any help I might get, lol.

I just went out at 10 to put the top on(Boss informed me of a run I have to do to Compton........yeah, nuff said, hahaha), ....I'm back and done. I got that down! lol... It's just me, one man, w/sliders, slide it up on pillows over the edge, then over the roll bar on guides, remove guides, ...KERPLOP! lol. Mount it, bolt it in.....27 Minutes! Not bad, lol.

I'll be looking out for those, Jerry, ...I really like the look on my model as well. I've seen them before. Some guys use the smokier look, ...those are REALLY nice ....if it's a darker color, like Gunmetal Gray or Black,...but red? nah, lol.

Hope you guys are all having a FANTASTIC weekend!

Mark
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM

much better now that i got Joe's 4runner running.....same to you too
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Chef........just checkin' in.

Interesting developments on my end.....namely on the Bostched O2S debate. I'll tell you more about that later, but I'm going to be rebuilding my wife's injectors......myself!!!...haha!

And, dang........there was something else I was going to tell you, but now that I'm posting I forget........pfffth!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Oh....right. PIM. I mentioned that earlier as being pertinent to some model vehicles that utilize fuel pressure up systems under heavy load. PIM stands for intake manifold pressure. So, it only applies to vehicles equipped with MAP sensors......Manifold Absolute Pressure.....which our vehicles do not have.

In which case, our vehicles only use the FPR VSV for hot cranking. You know, after the motor's been shut down while hot.....heat soak.....and then trying to start it again. So, if your VSV's not working, you wanna save some coin, and you don't have any issues starting the vehicle while hot, you really don't need it.

Last edited by thook; 07-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks Thook!

Yeah, I've left it removed, since. I will replace it one day when I find a working one for 20$ or something, ....but they RARELY seem to work.

It's been running fairly well, but still with the 'pup-pup'(which is a LIL milder) and the 02 code. It's beginning to appear as if the truck runs better(stronger, more responsive) when the ambient temperature is higher. As far as I can remember, ....It seems to run chunkier when cold, not idling high enough on cold start(around 6-700 fairly quickly, even with the IACV being new.... Does the IACV open according to the ambient reading of the AFM, as well as the Coolant Temp Sensor????) It also seems to want to hesitate a bit when taking off in 1st or 2nd, ....which is REALLY freaking me out, considering ALL THE NIGHTMARES I was experiencing INCLUDED those symptoms(hesitation, bogging off the line in 1st and 2nd).

I was in the Dealership the other day, Thook, ....trying to find a replacement O-ring for the idle-air screw("Sorry Mark, ...I can't get the screw OR the o-ring any longer. 'NA' on my computer") , lol. While there, the Mechanic that had to send it home before I got the AFM and ECU said, "Hey, bring it on by earlier in the week, maybe Tuesday, ...I'll try to fish down what's going on, ....Fuel, Air, Spark, Vacuum, ...we'll see, if you'd like. It bothered me that it stumped me, .... but I just can't keep it for a week trying to diagnose it for you. Now that you're starting fresh with mostly new/newer stuff, I'd like to try and help you figure it out".

Whatcha think? hahaha. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to figure this out, but either way, it's going to take lot's of help, whether here or WHEREVER I milk info from, haha.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks Thook!

Yeah, I've left it removed, since. I will replace it one day when I find a working one for 20$ or something, ....but they RARELY seem to work.

It's been running fairly well, but still with the 'pup-pup'(which is a LIL milder) and the 02 code. It's beginning to appear as if the truck runs better(stronger, more responsive) when the ambient temperature is higher. As far as I can remember, ....It seems to run chunkier when cold, not idling high enough on cold start(around 6-700 fairly quickly, even with the IACV being new.... Does the IACV open according to the ambient reading of the AFM, as well as the Coolant Temp Sensor????) It also seems to want to hesitate a bit when taking off in 1st or 2nd, ....which is REALLY freaking me out, considering ALL THE NIGHTMARES I was experiencing INCLUDED those symptoms(hesitation, bogging off the line in 1st and 2nd).

I was in the Dealership the other day, Thook, ....trying to find a replacement O-ring for the idle-air screw("Sorry Mark, ...I can't get the screw OR the o-ring any longer. 'NA' on my computer") , lol. While there, the Mechanic that had to send it home before I got the AFM and ECU said, "Hey, bring it on by earlier in the week, maybe Tuesday, ...I'll try to fish down what's going on, ....Fuel, Air, Spark, Vacuum, ...we'll see, if you'd like. It bothered me that it stumped me, .... but I just can't keep it for a week trying to diagnose it for you. Now that you're starting fresh with mostly new/newer stuff, I'd like to try and help you figure it out".

Whatcha think? hahaha. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to figure this out, but either way, it's going to take lot's of help, whether here or WHEREVER I milk info from, haha.
The idle air control valve doesn't operate off of intake air temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor. They're in no way connected. The IACV is self contained except for the fact it's voltage (for the heater element) is supplied by the COR.

Did you try using the thread tape, yet?

If that fella's willing to help FOR FREE, I'd take him up on it. Very nice.

Quick Reply: 87 4Runner 22RE troubleshooting help needed