Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 turbo starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know all about the injector plugs breaking with about 3 22re engine installs and other repairs. I checked that.

I wasn't able to get the fuel pressure tested today.

I don't have a injector pulse light either. I guess it's time to go get one.

I tested the cold start injector and it works properly.

Did I mention that when it idles for 5 to 8 seconds if I hit the gas it dies right away?

Thanks for the help guys, I've been watching and reading this forum for a while getting good info on 4x4 stuff. I just don't usually run into problems I can't figure out on my own. You guys are helpfull...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so you go to crank the engine:
turn the key-
-- key turns on the COR (circuit opening relay) and the COR turns the fuel pump on.
-- key make the starter crank the engine over
-- distributor sends ignition signal to igniter which sparks off the spark plugs and sends a signal to the ECU
-- engine starts running and air flows though the AFM (on top of the air filter) and the air flow makes the AFM keep the COR on so the fuel pump keeps running

and when the engine is cold ( < 60-65F):
the cold start time swith turns the cold start injector on so the engine is easier to start when cold, but the cold start injection system should not operate at all when you're not trying to start the engine
Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
so you go to crank the engine:
turn the key-
-- key turns on the COR (circuit opening relay) and the COR turns the fuel pump on.
-- key make the starter crank the engine over
-- distributor sends ignition signal to igniter which sparks off the spark plugs and sends a signal to the ECU
-- engine starts running and air flows though the AFM (on top of the air filter) and the air flow makes the AFM keep the COR on so the fuel pump keeps running

and when the engine is cold ( < 60-65F):
the cold start time swith turns the cold start injector on so the engine is easier to start when cold, but the cold start injection system should not operate at all when you're not trying to start the engine

Pump does turn on.

Key makes engine turn over

I'm assuming the distributor is sending signal since the engine fires and runs for 5 to 8 seconds approximately

As far as I know---"engine starts running and air flows though the AFM (on top of the air filter) and the air flow makes the AFM keep the COR on so the fuel pump keeps running"

I'm going to try to focus on the AFM.

Engine never gets warm because it wont run long enough.

I did the chiltons manual procedure for the the cold start injector a couple weeks ago and checked out fine. cant remember the exact procedure right now because after my last post I went out wheelin and delt with this.

not me in photo
Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with my '88 22re when I first bought it. Turned out to be a dirty AFM plug.
Heres 4crawler's AFM testing procedure:http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml
Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
I had the same problem with my '88 22re when I first bought it. Turned out to be a dirty AFM plug.
Heres 4crawler's AFM testing procedure:http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml
Thank you for the good info. I will look into that more in the morning.