Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 head gasket reseal #2 attempt

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 head gasket reseal #2 attempt

every wknd. 100 miles roundtrip . Always stopped a mile from destination at a store. When I started truck again a giant white cloud kicked out but after a minute all clear. Every trip. First of all was surprised these are rated 1/2 ton !! But I overloaded it so many times and followed traffic 80 mph back. Now I went to deliver some wood in town and forgot my gallon antifreeze about 4 weeks ago and delivered wood 7 miles across town. On way back it's getting over heated. Idiot I am drove on and it red lined for a minute . When home I let it cool and checked radiator adding coolant. Head gasket was blown as I see major bubbles in radiator. No water in oil though. Bought new radiator and used Blue devil head gasket sealant. Followed directions. Took out thermostat but since core is clogged I got two flush kits and bypassed heater core . It Worked!!! A few days later it was too cold so I rehooked core up? (Tried flushing core both ways by itself but no luck) Now the curvy hoses caused an idiot moment and I crossed hoses and hooked them up. Started truck and went in house couple mins. When I came out it was steaming . I opened hood and there was leaks all over. I killed engine. Haven't started it since. Now there's water in my oil. Here( finally ) is my question....If I change oil and filter and use Blue devil head gasket sealant and followed directions again ..... Is there a chance it will seal up again. ??? ( Of course will change oil and filter again)

Last edited by Yo mama; 02-16-2022 at 08:53 AM. Reason: I'm bad texter
Old 02-16-2022, 09:23 AM

Received 353 Likes on 219 Posts
I think you know the answer to this already. Is there a chance? Yes, although slim. Would any reputable mechanic recommend it or offer any sort of guarantee on that solution? No. It's a band-aid at best, and a sure-fire way to make the proper fix harder. I doubt anyone would argue against the idea that the head gasket is the hardest working most important gasket in the engine. It separates four different environments (oil, coolant, combustion chamber, and outside environment) against each other over widely varying temperatures and immense pressure differentials. Once it's damaged, it needs to be replaced. Neglecting to give it the proper fix only increases risk to other engine components, most likely the cylinder head, and increases the cost of a proper repair. An OEM Toyota head gasket, a few miscellaneous gaskets, head bolts, and fluids could be bought for $250 and you'd be done. Your band-aid fixes are probably already approaching half of that.
The following 4 users liked this post by arlindsay1992:
2ToyGuy (02-16-2022), 5 Fists (02-16-2022), millball (02-16-2022), old87yota (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 02:40 PM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
when my original headgasket finally leaked just over a year ago (with about 200K on the engine - 1987 22re), i never remotely considered adding any "sealant" to the cooling system. the original lasted 30+ years, so i replaced the headgasket with an oem unit, purchased online from mcgeorge toyota. did it right in the driveway, and it took about 4 hours from start to finish (but i've had a bit of experience working on 22re engines over the last 9 years). i also replaced the timing chain/guides/etc with an OSK set. about a week later, i broke the chain. my fault, as i had neglected to tighten the chain guide bolts, and one backed out and lodged between the chain and the crank sprocket, snapping the chain. i got lucky because the engine speed was at idle, so no bent valves/smashed piston tops. i redid the timing set with another OSK kit, and also put in a new oem headgasket from mcgeorge (again). a year later, and the engine still runs well, doesn't leak coolant, and i know i used excellent parts for the jobs. motor has not been rebuilt, and fuel mileage seems pretty consistently 17 to 19 mpg.

my long-winded point: do the job correctly, and you should get another decade or more of service. use snake-oil in a bottle, and ruin your engine in a week.
The following 4 users liked this post by wallytoo:
Jimkola (02-17-2022), millball (02-16-2022), old87yota (02-16-2022), ZARTT (02-18-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:53 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
The only purpose those various sealants offer( Blue devil, Bars leak, Aluma Seal, etc) is to get you out of the back country and get you home so you can do a proper repair.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-17-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
I think you know the answer to this already. Is there a chance? Yes, although slim. Would any reputable mechanic recommend it or offer any sort of guarantee on that solution? No. It's a band-aid at best, and a sure-fire way to make the proper fix harder. I doubt anyone would argue against the idea that the head gasket is the hardest working most important gasket in the engine. It separates four different environments (oil, coolant, combustion chamber, and outside environment) against each other over widely varying temperatures and immense pressure differentials. Once it's damaged, it needs to be replaced. Neglecting to give it the proper fix only increases risk to other engine components, most likely the cylinder head, and increases the cost of a proper repair. An OEM Toyota head gasket, a few miscellaneous gaskets, head bolts, and fluids could be bought for $250 and you'd be done. Your band-aid fixes are probably already approaching half of that.
Yes $$ is adding. But reason I ask is ...since I've already added sealant why not attempt 2nd( worked good first time) since it's now worse since waters in oil this time can it do any more harm?? Seems sealants already in ( half bottle)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:48 AM

Received 353 Likes on 219 Posts
Did it really work good the first time though?
The following 2 users liked this post by arlindsay1992:
Jimkola (02-26-2022), millball (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would I use Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealant? Never, I am way to cheap to waste money on that junk and it just seems to me a booster to have it over heat again and maybe warp the head.
Head gaskets are simple to do on these if you have never done one before I'm sure you can find out how on a few YouTube videos and a service manual, just do the research first.
Would it hurt you to try to do it again? Nope, just a waste of money for a band-aid that may or may not work temporarily.
The following users liked this post:
millball (02-22-2022)