Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'86 4rnr: removing rear gate window seals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
'86 4rnr: removing rear gate window seals?

hey guys...

is there a "best" way to do this without breaking the plastic tabs? i got the regulator/motor ass'y out, but can't get the glass out with the rail slider intact unless i remove the weather stripping. i had to do this years ago on my '92, but i don't remember how i did it
thanks!!
Old 01-14-2020, 02:23 PM

as it turns out (and, i kinda remember this being the case), the rubber strips themselves just pull up and out of the tabs. just wedge a flat head behind the rubber (metal/gate side) adjacent to the tabs and pry up...gently

so, i got that far and got the glass out. broke three tabs in the process. pffth! perhaps it's one of those hope for the best cases getting the remaining tabs out, but still interested knowing a best way to do it. anyone?
Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM

okay...figured that out. got the rest of clips out and only broke one more. apparently, if/when you look at'em, there's two prongs at either end and one fat one in the middle....the two and the one on opposing sides..the fat on the backside. anyway, pry the two out and push the fat away from the two while simultaneously pushing up on the clip and it'll come on out of the hole. unless you've done this/seen the clips, this may not make sense. but, have a look at yours if/when you ever have to do this and you'll see. it's actually pretty basic. good luck...to whomever
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (01-18-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Might not be the best way but it will slide out of the clips if you remove the caps on the end. Then you have to get the clips out without breaking them and get them back onto the weatherstripping.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 PM

appreciate the input, but that won't work. the fat tab on the backside of the clip hooks down into the hole in the gate about in the same way hooks work on peg board. and, in the same way the clip is obstructed from moving laterally. make sense?

i think the easiest way to do this is what i've done. if installing, though, put the clips in the gate first 'cause it'll make it hard or impossible to manipulate the clips to get them into the holes if the weather strip is attached already. then, the weather strip just pushes down onto the clip the way a paper clip works on paper
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
appreciate the input, but that won't work. the fat tab on the backside of the clip hooks down into the hole in the gate about in the same way hooks work on peg board. and, in the same way the clip is obstructed from moving laterally. make sense?

i think the easiest way to do this is what i've done. if installing, though, put the clips in the gate first 'cause it'll make it hard or impossible to manipulate the clips to get them into the holes if the weather strip is attached already. then, the weather strip just pushes down onto the clip the way a paper clip works on paper
That's not how any of this works!

But seriously. I assure you it works exactly as I described. You pull the weather strip out of the clips from the side then remove the clips from the sheet metal. This stresses the clips in a lateral way where they are less prone to breaking.

You'll reattach the clips to the rubber in a similar manner to the way you describe, then can replace it by pushing it down I to the gap and seating the clips..

Fwiw.
​​​​​​​The OEM piece of weather strip is still available from Toyota and comes with the clips in place. (Well it was two years ago, but should still be since its the same part used on other vehicles)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 PM

yeah, sorry...was in a hurry and realized after i posted you were talking about removing the seals themselves.(to the side) been a long cold, wet day, man. nevertheless, i do see what you're illustrating....thanks

Last edited by thook; 01-14-2020 at 08:09 PM.