Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 22RE Build up/ What could that sound be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
86 22RE Build up/ What could that sound be?

Some pictures of my build for you, and then a crap ton of questions.
The coolant system was so nasty.... Got everything cleaned up and flushed the heater core and the radiator. Super gross. So much FIPG on the oil pan it took forever to get it off. Lots of yikes.
Headgasket just started leaking we had billowy white smoke, tore it apart and found this. Head had 1/4 in gouges in it and the piston was mashed up, the picture doesn't do it justice. Decided to do a full rebuild. I think a bunch of metal fell off of a cheap head that someone had used prior. Where the carb goes on a 22r we found loose metal the last time the valve cover gasket was done, pulled it out of course but it probably got in there long ago.

Haven't gotten a good picture installed yet, I'll post one later. Been really trying to figure out the squealing/loud ticking.

Just finished rebuilding the engine. She started up great. Some louder ticking but I figured it was the valve adjustment. Broke in the cam shaft, and took her for a spin.
readjusted valves, tried both .07 and .11 cold and .08 and .12 hot. The ticking sound doesn't seem to change. Had a crappy muffler and replaced it with the new one, the other one was making it sound like a bass drum under my butt. Replaced the cat too cause it was rattling like wild.

Still has loud ticking, shaking on idle, not very much but it might be getting worse. Power seems fine but sounds like there's an intermittent miss. Also a chirping cricket noise but only on acceleration.
No check engine light, but when I hook it up to do the timing it does blink 7 times, then long pause, then repeats.

Things I've checked,
TPS, all tests passed, checked multiple times.
Blocked off EGR, no change
Pulled plug wires, checked out fine
Vaccum is at 22 but with a very small flutter (probably a small hose end crack? but it shouldn't be making that big of a difference yeah?)
pinched the vacuum advance port on the throttle body, RPM did not change
I replaced all gaskets, everything but the block and rocker arm assembly is brand new. Mostly OEM, mostly from 22reperformance, all good stuff.

Could be :
Exhaust manifold leak? I can't feel air but the manifold was pretty crappy. I put new gaskets and everything but worried I missed a crack or it was warped or something. Figured the vacuum test would show that, though...
Crankshaft Pulley? Someone before me had tried to whack it apart and literal chunks were bent on it on all sides. You can see it in the first photo. Some slivers came off. Would this make the engine shake and tick and chirp? Sounds like a jetsons car sound or something.

I wanted to replace it but I have A/C. I have a doner 94 22re, Can I replace my 3 belt balancer with a regular 2 belt one from the 94? Could get one from the internet but the post is so slow right now and was hoping to get a move on sooner rather than later. I'm stuck away from home and really needing to head back in that direction.

I put a stethoscope around but I've never used it before so not sure what is normal at idle! The top of engine seemed louder than the bottom so I'm hoping its not a knock.
Really just need to get on the road. As long as its not gonna hurt my new engine I can fix things at home but I've got about 2000 miles to go.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh and I also sprayed carb cleaner around all the hoses/intake, no change as far as I can tell.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
The 22r isn't a real quiet engine as a normal condition. You say you've got a mechanics stethoscope. Pull the plastic thing off the end and just use the hose. Point it around and it'll pick up the direction of the noise so you can home in on it from there. The crank pulley is split into 2 pieces. the outer pulley is for power steering (Which is bolted to the balancer) and the middle for A/C (Which is not removable from the balancer along with the alternator/water pump pulley closest to the engine.) So I'd think you could just unbolt the power steering pulley and bolt it to the replacement from your other engine. The other thing to check is the EGR plate on the back of the head for leaks as well as the EGR valve. On mine one of the bolts for the valve was just a tiny bit loose and it had a weird noise. (Exhaust leak in effect)