Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

50N Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50N Alignment question

I just got mine back from the dealer. They didn't do an alignment -- how far out does it have to be before they'll consider performing an alignment?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What dealer did it. I had mine done at Charlesglen. The should be putting it on the rack & checking the toe. If it is out of the spec range then they will adjust it. I received a printout from the dealer showing before & after & the specs. You should have at least gotten that.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM

It was at Sean Sargent Toyota, in Grande Prairie. I just got off the phone with them, and believe it or not, they didn't check because they don't have an alignment machine (so who knows what it's sitting at). But since it's a Friday at closing time, nobody's at the office anymore -- so it'll wait until Monday I suppose.

What a headache, I brought it in two months ago and they forgot to order the part -- so I came home empty handed that time. The good news is that they didn't try to sell me any parts I didn't need.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should reimburse you the cost of having an alignment done at another shop. I'm surprised they don't have a deal worked out with somebody - can't believe a dealer doesn't have an alignment machine.

Check out the stickied threa at the top - several people have been through a similar situation with the alignment.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:37 PM

In there defense, they said that they are building an expansion that will have an alignment machine (but yeah, currently they have nothing). My experience with them in the past is that they are a very good dealer.

That said, they should have told me that they can't do alignment -- rather than just hoping that I didn't know that it was part of the recall. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:24 AM

Same thing happened when I went to my dealer. They told me it does not need to be aligned. The recall spec sheet clearly shows it does. When I showed it to them, that is when they told me they do not have an alignment machine. They said if I notice a difference in my alignment after the recall was done, I could have it done at another shop on and Toyota would pay for it. I have not had mine done yet because they want me to pull off my extra steering stabilizer first. I have a gut feeling that after I have it done, I am going to feel a difference in my alignment. Not to knock Toyota, but the dealer should have told me in the first place instead of hoping I would not notice too.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:32 PM

Well, they just returned my call... and according to them the recall does not include an alignment. I said it is a part of the campaign. They said it's not, so they're not paying for it to be done elsewhere. So as far as they're concerned, this case is closed.

I guess the next step is to bring this up with Toyota Canada, and go from there.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:58 PM

http://www.mudrunner.ca/other/toyotaSSC.pdf
Print this out. It is a PDF of the recall. Pages 2 and 18 clearly say the alignment is part of the recall. Bring it to them. If they still have a problem, call Toyota directly. Not your local dealer. Toyota likes to make their loyal customers happy.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Call Toyota if they dont' go for it. Dealers dont' like getting calls from the big bosses. My issue was resolved within 48 hours after I got a case number started.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

They payed for mine and after taking to another dealership. Granted I am in the USA but it shouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't think that the recall procedures would be different from the USA to Canada.

Do we have any TOYOTA tech's here from Canada that could be of any help ?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:16 PM

Yeah, I was told to phone the local dealer and speak directly to the service manager.

The stupid thing is that the alignment was pretty much the only reason I took it in for the recall.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be sure to read through the entire stickied "recall" thread - the whole complaint procedure is gone through there.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM

OMFG! I just got off the phone with Toyota Canada and...

THEY SAID THE ALIGNMENT IS NOT PART OF THE RECALL.

That's right, there is no alignment according to 1-888-TOYOTA-8. So suck it up Caffeine, because you don't even get to put your truck on an alignment machine, much less get it aligned.

Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian SSC document (#514)?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Angry

DO WE HAVE ANY TOYOTA TECH'S HERE FROM CANADA THAT COULD BE OF ANY HELP ! ! ! !

Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Caffeine
OMFG! I just got off the phone with Toyota Canada and...

THEY SAID THE ALIGNMENT IS NOT PART OF THE RECALL.

That's right, there is no alignment according to 1-888-TOYOTA-8. So suck it up Caffeine, because you don't even get to put your truck on an alignment machine, much less get it aligned.

Does anyone have a copy of the Canadian SSC document (#514)?

WRONG!!!!! Tell them to read it again. A full alignment is not included but the toe adjustment is. Some dealers say that it isn't but if they read the document it is. I had one dealer that originally said that the toe wasn't included until I told him to go get the document. He read it and said yah it is included. Then I asked how much for the other adjustments. He quoted me a full alignment. I asked - so does that mean you are double billing for the work - he declined to answer.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:03 PM

I would call back and ask again if a toe adjustment is needed. there is a difference in the terminology for toyota
Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 PM

Yeah, well that doesn't help me right now. Both the dealer and Toyota Canada have just told me to go fly a kite -- so unless I can get my hands on the Canadian SSC I'm pretty much SOL.

I've phone both the dealer and toyota a couple times a piece, and I'm just hitting a brick wall.

Last edited by Caffeine; 02-28-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Call back and you will more than likely get a different person and their interpretation of the 50N could be different also. It happened to me and others.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I 'know' the dealer did at least a toe alignment on mine after the rod replacement. I could see where the adjuster sleeves had been turned.

Mike in AR
Old 02-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Well a full alignment is not part of the ssc. There are labor times for1. replacing the steering rod at checking toe( which is done with just a tape measure by the book), 2. Replace rod, check and adjust toe, and 3. replace rod and full alignment. We all way align them because it pays an extra 1.5hrs, but it is not required. The only time will don't align them is when there is parts with alot of play( TRE's, idler arm, ect) and the customer wont replace them.

Quick Reply: 50N Alignment question