Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

5 Minute Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrid
Hey n4ynu1010, i'm still using Adobe photodeluxe business edition.
Cool , Thnks , I just use Microsoft paint for now but want to possibly upgrade to something newer or better (more features) .
I use Adobe occasionally so I will look into that and see what a upgrade will cost me .
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM

Valve Cover Oil Leak

Originally Posted by corvey
OK, this is a follow up on this post that I actually took care of last week. It was in fact the brand new valve cover gasket that was leaking.

My solution to fix this was to use a nice bead of high temp RTV gasket maker around the whole valve cover, then place the new valve cover gasket on top of that, then place valve cover on head, very lightly tighten the bolts down just enough squeeze the RTV down a little bit for a nice fit and seal. let set for 10-15 minutes, tighten some more but UNDER torque specs. Then wait an hour, and tighten to torque spec.

It pissed me off that they say the seals are suppose to work by themselves with no sealer, well that costed me a half a day in labor to redo it and fix it right... Sometime you just gotta just say F the book! I hope this info helps somebody else cure their leak the first time around!

NO DRIPS NO DROPS NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
That a good fix there , have had to do that many times with Neoprene Gaskets on VC's , most of the time it is not the gasket so much that is not working right but that the valve cover either due to casting or age (twisting and or warpage between hold down points) is not true anymore so sometimes you have to improvise just a tad to get it to mate with the lip on the head correctly .
I too have used that approach but now what I try to do more often than not is to clean VC Gasket recess well and then place a small bead on the bottom of the recess and wipe it carefully controlling the hieght of the wiped bead to about a 1/8" , then I let it fully cure , that way it is permanent and when you replace the seal it will remain and no more messy RTV after that .
Most of the times the ends of the VC and or the middles between the holddown points will kinda raise up a tad and create this problem , thats why it is very important not to over-torque VC nuts/bolts but even if you torque correctly this will eventually happen to all of them to some degree.
I used to think that cast meant it is true forever but then I picked up Todo and started clicking my heals together saying :
I want to go home.....I want to go home
I have had to have many intakes machined to true them up to aleviated intake gasket leaks on bone stock motors and the intakes are cast with much more metal than a valve cover .

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-23-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:01 AM

I have also heard that the valve cover head bolts stretch over time. NWO carries a replacement set for $50. Maybe a goo investment while you are replacing gaskets.