Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

4Runner values

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Like the 1st gens, the saggy rear is definitely common. After researching the web for best solutions (and cheapest), I got some Moog springs for ours. Didn't need the lift at all. Sits up nice and perky in the rear....more so even than it did when got it. As well, unless it's a particularly heavy load (read: more than I really should be hauling...hehe), the vehicle still sits level. And, of course, it depends on your trailer and how you load it. Lastly, the vehicle still rides very nicely as opposed to throwing some heavy duty thing on there so it rides like a brick horse until it's loaded.
Good to know Hook. That is what I would be looking for.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
thook...rhymes with spook. and, you're welcome. guaranteed you'll be pleased.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I can't say this is why he posted that but my guess would be something that I've been thinking about - computerized vehicles.
I'm a dinosaur compared to some guys here. I obviously have computers (several actually) and I repaired them for a while (in the 90s) so I'm not unfamiliar with them. But a when vehicle's computer takes a dump you're literally stuck. With a computer you have backup (you ALL do right? and you fix it without being stranded.

If or when I get a 4Runner it will likely be the newest vehicle I've owned, and the only one very dependent on the ECU.
It will be an additional vehicle to my "fleet" so I won't be stuck if it breaks - as long as I'm not on a road trip if it does.
One reason I like Toyota is the one's I've had, have been very dependable - knock on wood (my head)
I wouldn't concern yourself with the reliability of EFI driven Yotas over purely mechanical ones. I had that concern when I first got my '86. Well, even with our '92 ...it being a bit more complex with the electronically controlled A/T. But, once the "used vehicle kinks" are worked out, the EFI systems and components are quite robust. ECU's and even some of the sensors can last as long if not longer than the motor itself.

Being computer savvy, it shouldn't be hard stuff for you to understand once you start studying how the EFI system works. Basically, it's just voltage feedback and, in some cases, loops from the sensors and relays. And, there really aren't that many, comparatively speaking. All the electronics have voltage requirements to function (like a computer needs 120v to work at all) and then understanding how things like sensors function (rather simplistically, actually) ...well, it's all very logical. Check out autoshop101.com; one of my favorite references and where I've learned a lot from. Of course, many of the fellas around here have really helped all that info gel in a practical way. (YT!!...oh yeah) And, of course, once you start tinkering around with the vehicle you'll see..."oh, this ain't that bad!".

Toyotas and Subarus (I think of them as 1st cousins to Yotas) are my vehicles of choice. We have a Buick wagon which is fine....works great, comfy car, a gift to my wife from her father before he passed...but, it's just not the same. Interestingly, once I learned about Toyotas I've been able to transfer the knowledge over to other cars, though. Some differences, certainly, but not a lot. And, I find I'm able to help diagnose stranded motorists to a large degree that aren't even driving Toyotas...hehe
Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by thook
I wouldn't concern yourself with the reliability of EFI driven Yotas over purely mechanical ones. I had that concern when I first got my '86. Well, even with our '92 ...it being a bit more complex with the electronically controlled A/T. But, once the "used vehicle kinks" are worked out, the EFI systems and components are quite robust. ECU's and even some of the sensors can last as long if not longer than the motor itself.

Being computer savvy, it shouldn't be hard stuff for you to understand once you start studying how the EFI system works. Basically, it's just voltage feedback and, in some cases, loops from the sensors and relays. And, there really aren't that many, comparatively speaking. All the electronics have voltage requirements to function (like a computer needs 120v to work at all) and then understanding how things like sensors function (rather simplistically, actually) ...well, it's all very logical. Check out autoshop101.com; one of my favorite references and where I've learned a lot from. Of course, many of the fellas around here have really helped all that info gel in a practical way. (YT!!...oh yeah) And, of course, once you start tinkering around with the vehicle you'll see..."oh, this ain't that bad!".

Toyotas and Subarus (I think of them as 1st cousins to Yotas) are my vehicles of choice. We have a Buick wagon which is fine....works great, comfy car, a gift to my wife from her father before he passed...but, it's just not the same. Interestingly, once I learned about Toyotas I've been able to transfer the knowledge over to other cars, though. Some differences, certainly, but not a lot. And, I find I'm able to help diagnose stranded motorists to a large degree that aren't even driving Toyotas...hehe
I'm sure I could figure out the computer stuff - I just hope it wouldn't be while I'm on the road.

I have a Subaru and my current gf is on her 3rd (she upgrades after about 4 years or so). Another ex gf had an Outback which I liked a lot - maybe more than her .
They are very dependable and I would imagine share some electrical suppliers.

Thanks T
Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm sure I could figure out the computer stuff - I just hope it wouldn't be while I'm on the road.

I have a Subaru and my current gf is on her 3rd (she upgrades after about 4 years or so). Another ex gf had an Outback which I liked a lot - maybe more than her .

Thanks T
I've got a Subaru as well ('08 forester x) and during the '85 4Runner's engine rebuild, noticed that they share an oil pressure sender for the "idiot light". Different make and 23 years newer, same exact sensor. I don't think they have any other common parts but I'm sure that closer years would.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
I've got a Subaru as well ('08 forester x) and during the '85 4Runner's engine rebuild, noticed that they share an oil pressure sender for the "idiot light". Different make and 23 years newer, same exact sensor. I don't think they have any other common parts but I'm sure that closer years would.
The interchange thing got me curious and I found that . . . in 2005 Toyota bought a little over 40% of GM's former Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) stock (8.7% of FHI). FHI is Subaru’s parent company. In 2008 Toyota increased their share of FHI to 16.5%. FHI under the name Nakajima Aircraft Company made aircraft during WWII. Like Mitsubishi made the “Zero”.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The interchange thing got me curious and I found that . . . in 2005 Toyota bought a little over 40% of GM's former Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) stock (8.7% of FHI). FHI is Subaru’s parent company. In 2008 Toyota increased their share of FHI to 16.5%. FHI under the name Nakajima Aircraft Company made aircraft during WWII. Like Mitsubishi made the “Zero”.
Well look at that. I had all the reason to research this strange sharing of a somewhat unique part and I just let it stay a mystery when the answer's so economical and logical. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
Well look at that. I had all the reason to research this strange sharing of a somewhat unique part and I just let it stay a mystery when the answer's so economical and logical. Thanks for clearing that up!
No problem )
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
posted the video for pulling 2nd gen 4runner codes because i thought there was some discussion earlier on pulling codes...could be wrong..
Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM
RJR

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks T
There's not much to figure out, at least on the road. The computer either works, or it doesn't. It's not like you can edit the registry or stop it from loading some drivers if it gets in a snit. All the firmware is hard-coded. That being said, these early ECU's are extremely reliable. The ECU on the 1st and 2nd gens is just an industrial/military version of an Intel 8051 (1980's vintage 8-bit processor) running assembly code, so no OS to go off into the weeds or anything like that.

The biggest area of computer related failure on these old trucks is sensors, but most of them just throw a code and may result in poor running, but won't keep you from getting home. The second biggest area is interconnects, which can affect any vehicle. That's more likely if the previous owner has messed with the wiring. The Toyota factory harnesses are quite good. I would inspect the wiring of any prospective vehicle carefully, and if it looks like some creativity has been applied, move on. Another area to check is around the passenger area kick panel. That's where the ECU lives, and if that shows signs of moisture damage, that could spell ECU connector or PC board trouble.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Thanks T
Portland doesn't generally get a lot of snow. We have an '06 forester. It might be that my 94 4runner weighs more but I have been happier with the 4runner's handling in the snow vs. The Subaru..I have had Subaru's 25 years and Toyotas for 30..
Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Portland doesn't generally get a lot of snow. We have an '06 forester. It might be that my 94 4runner weighs more but I have been happier with the 4runner's handling in the snow vs. The Subaru..I have had Subaru's 25 years and Toyotas for 30..
You have some pretty big meats on the avatar pic so that helps some I would imagine.

The current gf has a 2015 Forester. It feels weird to drive - not a lot of feel to the wheel or seat of the pants. Not sure how I would like it in snow, in rain it is ok. But I don't exercise her car like I do mine. It is well built. My 81 Corolla Wagon handles pretty good for a butt-heavy car but it isn't stock or on skinny 13" tires.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

You have some pretty big meats on the avatar pic so that helps some I would imagine.

The current gf has a 2015 Forester. It feels weird to drive - not a lot of feel to the wheel or seat of the pants. Not sure how I would like it in snow, in rain it is ok. But I don't exercise her car like I do mine. It is well built. My 81 Corolla Wagon handles pretty good for a butt-heavy car but it isn't stock or on skinny 13" tires.
actually those tires are in the shed ready to gone on the 94 when i finally get the SAS done. The avatar is my old 81 that is in the middle of coming apart, 10 years of being abused. the 4runner has been doing great on the cheapest 225/75/15's discount tire had, $300 out the door, needed something to get me by.
Our forester is well built but i think the tires are just crap. It is an '06 we bought with 39,000 on it fairly cheap after my wife totaled her 2013 impreza a year ago.

Have you narrowed down you search for a 4runner?
Old 01-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
actually those tires are in the shed ready to gone on the 94 when i finally get the SAS done. The avatar is my old 81 that is in the middle of coming apart, 10 years of being abused. the 4runner has been doing great on the cheapest 225/75/15's discount tire had, $300 out the door, needed something to get me by.
Our forester is well built but i think the tires are just crap. It is an '06 we bought with 39,000 on it fairly cheap after my wife totaled her 2013 impreza a year ago.

Have you narrowed down you search for a 4runner?
Good tires do make a big difference. Hope the wife wasn't hurt.

2nd or 3rd Gen with a manual trans is as close as I am. The info here has been a big help. Realistically I'll need to sell the pickup first which is why I've stepped up getting it in better shape. I am looking though. I'll post up the results of an auction I was watching.