Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

40" tires on 2nd gen!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITS GREAT TO SEE SOMEONE THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.

AWESOOOMME - <CARTMAN>

OH AND BY THE WAY YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TOLD US WHERE YOU LIVE BC IM COMIN OVER TO STEAL YOUR $ TREE
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Nice rig man!

keep us posted on your trail rides.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Silver_Truck]Lookin at around 3k...the guy with that 4runner claims he put almost 20k into it.
QUOTE]
The axles were about 6K a piece. Started at 3600$ for factory remanufactured 404s with disc brake and pinion conversions. I had them narrowed 7.5 inches to center the rear pinion (offset 7.5 inches to the right in a Mog) and the front to put the pinion where I wanted so it can flex between the oil pan and frame rail on the driver's side. Then the custom CTIS unions and bolts had to be machined and installed-- this added about 2 grand to the total-- then shipping from BC Canada to St. Louis.

The wheels are awesome but were stupid expensive and the only thing I would probably do differently but they are very cool. 2 pcs. with rubber internal double beadlocks so I can mount my own tires with nothing but a torque wrench, an extension and a socket. After years of tire shops screwing up my wheels I can finally say no more of that crap.
And the wheels are designed to be used for CTIS so all of the Hummer bits and the Mercedes parts blend together beautifully.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ravencr
Can you explain this further? Will it automatically adjust to keep the body level when off-roading? I mean, will it automatically detect the body beginning to lean and automatically pump up the down side to compensate

Chris
In short, yes. And in very short order, less than 1 second.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
In short, yes. And in very short order, less than 1 second.

The system has four ride height sensors mounted on the upper links that constantly detect any change and instantly correct
Old 11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

But the driver can manually override the system too but once you hit 20 mph (or other preset speed) the system automatically returns to street mode and rises or lowers to designed ride height.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

More on the suspension system here:

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/...irock2-2.shtml
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM

So, if you are riding along and all of a sudden the left side drops off into a ditch causing the body to roll to the left, the bags on the left side will automatically pump up really quick to level the body back out, automatically? If that's true, that's a badass system definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Do they make a partial system, maybe possibly only for the rear of a vehicle, for example?

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

So, if you are riding along and all of a sudden the left side drops off into a ditch causing the body to roll to the left, the bags on the left side will automatically pump up really quick to level the body back out, automatically? If that's true, that's a badass system definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Do they make a partial system, maybe possibly only for the rear of a vehicle, for example?

Chris
Yes it should work just as you suggested in your example. The airbags move from 7" compressed to 21" extended-- this takes a while in demo modes (3 or 4 seconds) since the compressor is maxed out but on the trail with the air tank at 125 psi and ready to go it should happen very quickly.

Also manually over ride. Say I get hi centered on the cross member skidplate, just go all up which also decreases my wheelbase and would lift me right off. Or need better approach or departure angle--just tilt the front up/down or back up or down, whatever.

I do not think it would be adaptable for the rear only for computer control, but manual control would be easy to set up.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Yes it should work just as you suggested in your example. The airbags move from 7" compressed to 21" extended-- this takes a while in demo modes (3 or 4 seconds) since the compressor is maxed out but on the trail with the air tank at 125 psi and ready to go it should happen very quickly.

Also manually over ride. Say I get hi centered on the cross member skidplate, just go all up which also decreases my wheelbase and would lift me right off. Or need better approach or departure angle--just tilt the front up/down or back up or down, whatever.

I do not think it would be adaptable for the rear only for computer control, but manual control would be easy to set up.
Are you planning to wheel it when you come and pick it up, because I live in Severance, CO and would love to see this system in action?

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

Are you planning to wheel it when you come and pick it up, because I live in Severance, CO and would love to see this system in action?

Chris
Yes I do plan to. Would be happy to give you a call.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

Actually, I will be in Windsor as well, that close enough for ya!?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

4Mogger, I've been reading about your build-up for quite some time now on PBB.

Good work so far.......
Old 11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to be in Detriot Jan to Mar and would love a wheelin partner... that rig is an inspiration, excellent job!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceTS

Good work so far.......
Thanks. I got bored over there and dropped by here to see what you all were up to and then find pics of my rig that I didn't take so that got my attention.

Thanks for the interest. shouldn't be long now.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by colsoncj
I'm going to be in Detriot Jan to Mar and would love a wheelin partner... that rig is an inspiration, excellent job!
I have a new Tundra and trailer so I will be ready! Anything under a couple hundred miles I will drive it.
Attached Thumbnails 40&quot; tires on 2nd gen!-newtrucktrailer.jpg  

Last edited by 4Mogger; 11-14-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:59 AM

That is an awesome looking rig. Props for doing something totally unique and custom.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceTS

Good work so far.......
x2

Good to see someone taking a full bodied rig to it's limit. I think the "expedition type" vehicle really appeals to much of the membership here.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 AM

So where are the Hella's now

I will never belong at Pirate for that reason.... you do something no one has ever done and engineer the whole thing clean and they don't like the Hellas.

Killed me.

As an engineer, I can say that is a truly awesome project...and if you are anything like me, the engineering challenge gives as much satisfaction as the end result, if not more.

More power to ya.... I say again, inspirational !!!

David
Old 11-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a new Tundra and trailer so I will be ready! Anything under a couple hundred miles I will drive it.
We've got a few places to wheel around the Flint area, bout an hour north of detroit.. but im always looking for new places if you know of any

Quick Reply: 40" tires on 2nd gen!