Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

40" tires on 2nd gen!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

If you don't get Mogs you won't get the truck.
If you mean UniMogs then I DO get it... I'd be willing to bet I'm one a VERY few people here who have gotten to really hammer one of thse things. I'll post some pics if I can ever find them, but I spent last summer as an engine Boss for a Wildland FIrefighting company that uses strictly Unimogs for it's brush trucks... Now I love my Runner, but I tell you, I've never driven anything like these rigs, they really are amazing... one of the only trucks ever to make it up the Waterfall on HElldorado un-winched(upper/lower can't remember where it is) was a unimog...
Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
looks like a neat build-up, but it's a little pointless, the rear wheels cat't really articulate up much cause they're about a foot back in the well... like I said, neat build up, bgut not really a good trail rig... it'd be sweet in the mud tho I'd assume, can you say float?
thats the same thing I was thinking, looks like you could stuff a tire up about an inch, before it was ripping the back bumper off. Cool rig I guess if you got the money.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dwh91102
thats the same thing I was thinking, looks like you could stuff a tire up about an inch, before it was ripping the back bumper off. Cool rig I guess if you got the money.
Like Adrian said. The pics show it sitting on the bump stops. The air bags are completely deflated. When inflated it sits a lot higher and has room for articulation.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mogs, like the axle.

It only goes up. No worries about compression because it doesn't.

Those have uber clearance, that is the attraction.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 AM

Not just celarance, but they also have gear reduction hubs (Which is what creates the clearance).

If I ever SAS'd mine, I would deifnitely consider going with mog axles. I know tehy are pricey, but how bad are we talkin?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Lookin at around 3k...the guy with that 4runner claims he put almost 20k into it.
Mog 404s: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393332
Mog 406s: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=portal
Volvo Portals: (slightly weaker) http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=portal
That is a sweet rig is been following the build up on pbb for a while now.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:40 PM

3000 for a pair of volvos. that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I'm sure parts to rebuild them are more expensive due to scarcity, but to me the originality and ground clearance and strength are well worth the cost.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dwh91102
looks like you could stuff a tire up about an inch, before it was ripping the back bumper off.
When i was looking at it, i noticed the same thing but when i saw how the suspension works (4 link?) i could tell the rear wheels would articulate up at an angle towards the center like so \
Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
When i was looking at it, i noticed the same thing but when i saw how the suspension works (4 link?) i could tell the rear wheels would articulate up at an angle towards the center like so \
If it works well, I'm definitely jealous. I'm not a fan of the airbags, but they do have some serious advantages for off-camber.

Doc, do you think I'd put it to good use if I owned it?

Chris
Old 09-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned

Oh, it works all right. I have been watching this bad boy for a long time. As far as I know he hasnt wheeled it yet, I remember him saying it was going to colorado to get something done to it but I can not remember what.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Banned

OH yeah, it was for an exhaust system or something like that.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
he had to send it to another state to get an exhaust system done??? or is the guy IN Col.? Cause that'a bloody bigger waste of money than the project in general if he sent it out of state...

Props to the guy for the dream and the ingenuity, but I really don't get it...

It should be noted that I drive MOGS in the summer for a Wildland (Fire) rig... they're really fun just the way they are...

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 09-25-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
The guy at OFS said the owner towed from St. Louis, MO
to have them finish up installing an ARB compressor and a bunch of other wiring.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
If it works well, I'm definitely jealous. I'm not a fan of the airbags, but they do have some serious advantages for off-camber.

Doc, do you think I'd put it to good use if I owned it?

Chris
Chris,

I KNOW that it would not be clean and certainly would have scratches and scrapes ! But - ain't that the point ?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doc279
Chris,

I KNOW that it would not be clean and certainly would have scratches and scrapes ! But - ain't that the point ?
Totally!

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

guess I am a little late to the party!
Wierd to see pics of MY rig on another site that I didn't take and post myself. Kudos to the photographer, you did the rig justice!
Yes I did tow it 700 some odd miles to get the exhaust and some wiring and fuel line work done. They are building custom exhaust from the header all the way back-- all stainless.
It has 175K miles on it and believe it or not, a lot of wheeling miles around Colorado. I am from Montrose and live and work in St. Louis. My family has a ranch in Montrose so I am out there several times a year to help out and vacation too. I bought the rig new and have taken very good care of it. It had 32" BFG's and a 2 in lift for the first decade and then I pulled the trigger on this undertaking! Actually I collected parts for about 2 years and it took almost a year to have my custom 404's built in Canada--most of which was spent waiting for CTIS unions. A lot of custom work was done to make the rotation unions fit the 404 hub bolts-- the bolts had to be completely custom machined but they are awesome. Exaxt did all of the work on the axles.

Yes it has been expensive but the end result will be greater than the sum of the parts in my opinion.

Goal # 1 was to fit Unimog portal axles under my rig--instant 6" lift!
#2 fit it in my 7" garage so I can daily drive it

and goal #2 is why I chose airbags and insisted on CTIS.

But it will get wheeled, friends, and plenty, for many years to come!

Lastly-- it isn't a ARB compressor folks, it is an Oasis 1000 on 24 volts that puts out 16 cubic feet per minute of air at 100 psi!
For comparison, Toyota Owner Magazine did a test of all popular compressors including the Oasis. And that was on 12 volts where it only put out 8 CFM.

Why?
This AiRock system FLAT EATS UP CFM as it cycles and is only as fast as the compressor and tank--but it will blow through the tank in just seconds so I really needed a lot of air, and for extended periods, all done as reliably as possible. For example-- on DEMO mode-- yes it has a demo mode where it does FBSS like a carnival ride until you shut it off-- it blows through a 15 pound tank of CO2 in about 3-5 minutes! So I have the compressor and a 5 gal tank and two 15# PowerTanks as backup.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

Also, the airbag system is computer controlled and is fast enough to compensate for body roll on the street and the advantages off road are endless--body stays level in off camber situations and weight is transferred uphill while climbing and onto the back wheels while decending a hill.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spectre
Besides the 3.0 and the body...whats still a toyota?
everything but the axles. entire drivetrain is Toyota. Original motor has had the HG recall but is otherwise stock. Modified Toyota transmission, V6 adapter to a 4.7 crawler box to a Tacoma adapter to a '99 V6 4Runner transfercase to give me a driver's side drop. Toyota drive shafts and u joints and Toyota adapted pinions on the 404's. So it is still as much Toyota as any trail rig out there running D44's or D60's.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
he had to send it to another state to get an exhaust system done??? or is the guy IN Col.? Cause that'a bloody bigger waste of money than the project in general if he sent it out of state...

Props to the guy for the dream and the ingenuity, but I really don't get it...

It should be noted that I drive MOGS in the summer for a Wildland (Fire) rig... they're really fun just the way they are...
I wanted ORS to do the work. I combined the trip out with a visit to family and I will combine the trip to pick it up with a wheeling trip and a visit to the ranch in Montrose and my brother in Ft. Collins. I get out there about every other month so road trips are a way of life for me. ORS has a good rep and that earned them my money. It remains to be seen how good they really are.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
Also, the airbag system is computer controlled and is fast enough to compensate for body roll on the street and the advantages off road are endless--body stays level in off camber situations and weight is transferred uphill while climbing and onto the back wheels while decending a hill.
Can you explain this further? Will it automatically adjust to keep the body level when off-roading? I mean, will it automatically detect the body beginning to leanand automatically pump up the down side to compensate, or is something you have to manually do inside the cab? Just curious, because it seems like a very off-roadinf friendly system to say the least.

Chris

Quick Reply: 40" tires on 2nd gen!