Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The people who built your engine are either idiots or trying to get you to go away. Stick to your guns. Go to the local Toyota place and speak with the service people and get there take. The pistons are marked for a reason. They are scalloped so that you have clearance for the valves. When the motor is running the valves come down into those pockets. If they are reversed as in your case and the engine is turned over then there is a chance that the valves could hit and bend. They might have enough clearance at idle but when the engine is reved then they will get damaged. Stick to your guns and pursue this. They are obviously counting on the fact that you are young and dont know what your talking about. Get a toyota tech to write you out something and take this to them.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
3VZE pistons

Thanks hilux1026 for the your feedback on this. And thanks for the young comment! Ha! 36 aint to old I guess. Ha!
I am definitely going to stick with this. I need this truck to be running again. I will be heading over to a guy who works at the Toyota dealership tomorrow. He has always been very helpful and knowledgable on the 3VZE when I needed parts. Im hoping maybe we can talk to a mechanic there and get his take on this problem of mine.
Well I'll keep you guys posted on this.
If anybody else has some input, dont be shy!! I need all the info I can get!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM

I am a toyota tech, though when I rebuilt my truck didn't take any pictures because didn't really feel the need, to be honest with you. Didn't wanna did into this turd engine to begin with, and certainly didn't want to drag it out taking pictures and stuff

This may help you though, from an unknown source
Attached Thumbnails 3VZE pistons-1.jpg   3VZE pistons-2.jpg   3VZE pistons-3.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM

And yes the dots DO go in the front, and yes they ARE marked L and R for a reason... tell those guys they need to maybe read a book if they aren't sure of something. Don't just slap it in however you feel fit, and when you get called out on it lie and say 'it doesn't matter how they go'. Kinda like saying it doesn't matter if your truck has the wheels on the ground, or the roof is on the ground as long as it is going forward...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:12 AM

pistons

Thanks for the input there pb4ugotobed! And thanks for the pictures. Those pics look almost like the ones that are in the Haynes manual. Shows it exactly the same. I would have tried and showed them this but the manager wanst having none of this.
Well all I can do now is wait and research this motor some more so I will be ready when I proceed with legal actions. It really sucks that all this has to be done but these guys are being stubborn.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those pictures of the FSM are very telling. Getting some additional information from a Toyota dealership will help your case even more. In court, hard documentation will win the day, internet info will always be in question.

So, the guy would not even get into a discussion with you about it? Would not look at the documentation? Figures. Take them to court, and I would take them to court for the cost of a full long block replacement by the dealer, even if you do the install yourself. Don't even mess with your motor, it is scrap at this point and the guys who caused it are on the hook.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Have your Lawyer call them before you start legals. This may persuade them to do what you want and not have all the cost of legals. Sometimes a call from a lawyer is enough to show them you are serious.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM

3VZE nightmare!

I just have to wait for 15 days to go by and then I can pursue legal actions. I guess in Las Vegas you have 15 days to respond so I will be sitting and waiting.
I will be going to the Toyota dealership to see if a buddy who works in the parts department can help me out. He even said that I could go on toyotapartsandservice.com and actually print out a page that shows the pistons and which way they go in. The only bad part is in order to get on that page to look up stuff you need to join and they have a monthly fee.
At this point I guess that really doesnt matter cause I need all I can get so I just might pay for a months worth just to get some info from that site. He said that even the mechanics at Toyota use this website for info when they are working on cars and trucks.
Keep those post coming in guys! Thanks for the support! And thank you yotatech for an awesome website.

Last edited by Stangmandan; 04-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:26 PM

So Im also hitting up people here on yotatech with the same question but only asking them in a quick email on their profile. I've picked people who I see that answer alot or have been on here for awhile and really know their stuff to see if they can help me out with this.
Thanks in advanced!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Go to techinfo.toyota.com
This is the public access part of the TIS system that ALL Toyota techs DO and MUST use. You are not going to get any more straight from the source than this. The only things you don't have access to are like techstream updates, ECM reflash files, etc. As far as info goes, you get access to everything that we use.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I have to say this is most interesting thread I have seen in a while. Whoever built your engine was on a good one!

Hope you get everything worked out!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM

problems

pb4ugotobed: So I checked out that website you were talking about and it looked like a place that I friend of mine who works at the Toyota dealership had recommended checking out. They both ask for a subscription and I think I will join for at least a month on both so I can get some info printed out on these pages to help me out. Thanks!

PismoJoe: Thanks! It is a intresting one all right. Just wish it wasnt happening to me. I still cant believe that this is happening. I am keeping my cool but all this is very aggervating. I hope I get everything worked out too.

Well I hope more of you here on yotatech can help me out with this. I'll be checking back and forth on here to see if anyone else has any input on this. I need all I can get!
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 AM

still going!

Good morning yotatech peeps!

I will be continuing my search on how these pistons should be installed in my 3VZE motor. Can anyone recommend a person on here who has at least rebuilt a couple of these motors. And I mean from the bottom end to the top end. I need professional advise on this matter.
I need all the info I can get on this. I got till the end of April to gather whatever info I can so that I can be ready to proceed with legal actions if these people dont want to help me out.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stangmandan
Good morning yotatech peeps!

I will be continuing my search on how these pistons should be installed in my 3VZE motor. Can anyone recommend a person on here who has at least rebuilt a couple of these motors. And I mean from the bottom end to the top end. I need professional advise on this matter.
I need all the info I can get on this. I got till the end of April to gather whatever info I can so that I can be ready to proceed with legal actions if these people dont want to help me out.
Thanks in advance!
Check your PM's
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Well guys I will be heading off to mechanic shops around here where I live and seeing if someone can give me a honest answer on how these pistons should go in. All I can do is show a picture of mine and see what they say. We are super busy at work so its gonna be hard to do this.
I am going to say again that I do not know how these pistons go in and thats why I need the help. I see people clicking on this thread. Any piston professionals out there?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Well they are definitely on the wrong banks which really doesn't say much as to their prowess..

That said, it does not matter which side they're installed to, despite the markings. All the pistons are identical. Still 180 off though...

Last edited by allnmstkn313; 04-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stangmandan
Well guys I will be heading off to mechanic shops around here where I live and seeing if someone can give me a honest answer on how these pistons should go in. All I can do is show a picture of mine and see what they say. We are super busy at work so its gonna be hard to do this.
I am going to say again that I do not know how these pistons go in and thats why I need the help. I see people clicking on this thread. Any piston professionals out there?
What exactly are you unsure about? The post on the first page with the jpegs of the install procedure are definitive. The second pic tells the entire story. It shows the piston layout on the V6 with the front of the motor clearly marked and the relief in the piston oriented as it should, biased towards the "outside" of the motor. Completely opposite of what your motor has. Your pistons are installed 180 degrees out from what they should be, that is a fact. Now, finding the correct documentation to take to court is a whole other game, as courts do not deal in the same common sense world that the rest of us live in.

I will look through my FSM tonight to see what else is in there.

Mike

Last edited by OutlawMike; 04-20-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude the pistons are on wrong , i know everybody else has said the same thing . Look thru the fsm there is alot of info in there.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 AM

Your right guys. It doesnt get any clearer than this. I have all this info that says how and which way the pistons should go in. But like OutlawMike says, "Having the right documentation to take to court is a whole other game, as courts do not deal in the same common sense world that the rest of us live in."
Im pretty sure they are going to want to see some kind of info from a mechanic in town. Thats why today I will be going to the Toyota dealership to ask for a quote on how much it would be for them to rebuild my motor and maybe I can ask them about my pistons.
Other than that I will cruise by some other places and get their take on this. Its been hard to do anything lately cause we are so busy here at work, which dont get me wrong, thats a good thing. KNOCK ON WOOD...Knock, Knock!
I will let you all know how that goes and other than that I just want to thank you guys for all the feed back on this problem of mine.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Going to the dealership is a good idea. If you can get some documentation from them, even better.

Hey, being busy at work is a good thing! I know several guys who have been out of work for over a year, that is not a good situation to be in.

Gainful employment is always better than being in the line at the unemployment office.

Quick Reply: 3VZE pistons