Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3vze complete exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
BUMP....cuz we are doing this now.

driver's side on.....probably alot easier to do as we just put the motor back in and don't have anything really in the way on the driver's side.

before we torque this down, going to need to put copper high-temp sealant on. any reason why we should NOT torque down this side?? meaning, is there any fiddling we are going to have to do from this point forward with this side or the passenger's side.

have to get a starter and a slave cylinder before we do the passenger's side. I understand you only bent the brake lines away and did not heat wrap the starter OR the brake lines....any issues???
Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
BUMP....cuz we are doing this now.

driver's side on.....probably alot easier to do as we just put the motor back in and don't have anything really in the way on the driver's side.

before we torque this down, going to need to put copper high-temp sealant on. any reason why we should NOT torque down this side?? meaning, is there any fiddling we are going to have to do from this point forward with this side or the passenger's side.

have to get a starter and a slave cylinder before we do the passenger's side. I understand you only bent the brake lines away and did not heat wrap the starter OR the brake lines....any issues???
No issues on anything getting hot, or melting. I only bent the brake lines for safe keeping. And yes, you should torque everything to spec, just to be sure of no leaks.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 AM

good to hear about no issues.

but, I mean, is there any reason why I should NOT torque it down right at the moment. are we needing to jiggle the headers at all or is it once they are on, they are on for good.....only want to do this once.

thanks man.....your thread sold me on these headers and your videos are absolute candy for us to look forward to that sound.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
good to hear about no issues.

but, I mean, is there any reason why I should NOT torque it down right at the moment. are we needing to jiggle the headers at all or is it once they are on, they are on for good.....only want to do this once.

thanks man.....your thread sold me on these headers and your videos are absolute candy for us to look forward to that sound.
Once they're on the studs, i dont see any reason why you should need to jiggle them? the "jiggling" i had to do was getting them on the studs haha. but then again, I dont have the motor out like you do.

and yeah man, i really appreciate it. I put a lot of money into that exhaust. I plan to do the same thing for a 3.4, since i haven't seen anyone do it. ( most people just put TRD headers on it and call it good. )
Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM

OK...cool....I'll put that one header on for good then.

Motor is back in, but left the stuff like a/c, distributor / power steering etc off for now until we have the headers in.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey mak we need a new exhaust Video!!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey 92Toy. Howzitgoin?

I kno u have a build page somewhere on here...

Did you fit both headers on B4 you put engine back in?
Looks like I'll go back to TX for a couple of days, get the block from machine and see if I can 'mmbr where I was in the last exciting episode. Maybe stop by toyotaperf' on way thru and see what they have.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

no...we put them on after, being that it was just me and my son putting the motor back in.

look in my sig....it shows "Joe's build thread" "8t8 4runner"
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Well i have had mine on for close to a year now, starting to rust and i have not driven it too much Kinda sad. Anyone else have rush spots showing up on their ceramic coated headers?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1
Well i have had mine on for close to a year now, starting to rust and i have not driven it too much Kinda sad. Anyone else have rush spots showing up on their ceramic coated headers?
i had mine on for 3 years, no rust.

You're in the yay area though
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does the headers all come with does it come with all the pipes in the pic except muffler like does it come with the y pipe or crossover and does the passenger side header have to to holes that go in the header for what looks like the egr or sumthing and another for something else
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM

comes with everything you need to bolt it from the heads to the catalytic converter and still be smog legal.

EGR and VAIR tubes ( on the passenger side header ) both headers, cross over, head bolts ( dont use these, they suck. keep the studs on it ) exhaust gaskets and clamps ( the clamps suck, get it welded ) and a Y-pipe.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:28 AM

Clamps suck is right. they really do.

O2 sensor bung is wrong as well, had to grind a nut down just to get the sensor to bolt on. 3 moths and right around 2 or 3 thousand miles later, headers still look like we took them out of the box. did not use the bolt for mounting to the head, get the head studs from LC engineering. cutting the exhaust was an arduous task.

take your time and get it right. getting it welded is not something we've done yet, but very likely will.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
comes with everything you need to bolt it from the heads to the catalytic converter and still be smog legal.

EGR and VAIR tubes ( on the passenger side header ) both headers, cross over, head bolts ( dont use these, they suck. keep the studs on it ) exhaust gaskets and clamps ( the clamps suck, get it welded ) and a Y-pipe.
Hey man, great thread. I have the 3vze and i'm in vegas. I travel to my cabin in Big Bear (about 4 hrs) frequently but haven't taken the runner because I like to do at least 80-90 when making the trip. Right now, that's above 3,500Rpm for me and I don't feel comfortable doing that for 4 hrs to the poor thing.

You've mentioned how much cooler your running, and I didn't read all of your 12 pages of thread but I think you've gotten around to your intake as well....

How does it do on the open road when travling? are you taking it past 80 often when traveling long distances or are you staying lower?

You know the summers in cali/vegas. that's a real risky drive in a warm aluminum heat magnet. And I'm not trying to blow a head-gasket and put this thing out of commission again. I just got it running after 4 years!! (low milage is a plus! )

Also, I don't know if you've been..... but the thought of climbing up that mountain on the San Bernandino side gives me bad dreams....
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM

I no longer have the truck. But since you didn't read for 12 pages, i'll summarize things.

I was easy on the truck, and it still blew a headgasket... its just a ticking time bomb in these trucks and theres no help for it. some last longer than others, some people are more fortunate. but yeah. I was hard on the truck once in awhile but thats pretty much it... 65 was a constant speed for this truck.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Awe MAN! I'm very sorry to hear that man. I was reading how excited you were after the mod it was awesome! You didn't happen to look and see if your VIN number fell under Toyota's headgasket recall did you? Mine was like 100 numbers off. (Almost had a free headgasket job)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NDiNardi
Awe MAN! I'm very sorry to hear that man. I was reading how excited you were after the mod it was awesome! You didn't happen to look and see if your VIN number fell under Toyota's headgasket recall did you? Mine was like 100 numbers off. (Almost had a free headgasket job)
mine had already been replaced. it had all recalls done at around 80k.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
RSR

Wanted to note that O2 sensors are denso on this truck, and if you buy the denso, you're at less than $70 rather than the stealership $150...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM

4 years later, somehow this thread is still alive!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Very thankful to have found this thread. I am installing my Downey headers currently and this has given me loads of info. The biggest concerns where the egr and pair not lining up but snagging the flex pipe off the stock manifold is a brilliant fix.

Quick Reply: 3vze complete exhaust