Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3rd Gen Double Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd Gen Double Cab

I recently came up with a somewhat off the wall idea, in light of the possible engine swap on my '90 pick up. It would probably be completely cost prohibitive to do, but does anyone here know how I might go about sourcing a 3rd Gen Double Cab from a foreign market? I think that this could make a really cool and unusual rig, especially when combined with a shortened double-wall bed.

I know that the 3rd gens were made from about 1989-2000 or so, depending on the market. I've perused international eBay sites, so I know that they are out there, but I don't have a clue about how I could lay my hands on a good condition double cab from a salvage yard, or such.

I know that they were available in Austrailia, UK, Argentina, Brazil - not sure if they were in Mexico or not.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

I think mexico was served from the usa but I'm not sure The double cab already came with a short @5' bed so you would'nt have to shorten yours just buy the whole rig.
the double cab was also in central america for sure asd well as the caribean islands. You could probably source one out of C.A. have it put in a container and shipped up to you. containerage would probably on the order of $1-2000 most likely the lower.
You might have some trouble getting it certified for the road though. The diesel is more common the the gas and the diesel won't pass emissions (or so they say). You would also probably have to put a N.a. certified bumper on at the least (big deal we all want a winch right?). Te CBP might have some information for you as well as yer local vehicle licence orifice. hope this helps aviator
Old 01-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Aviator!

The only reason I was thinking about the box chop is that the only ones I have ever personally seen, in real life or pics, had single wall boxs with the tie down rails and the over center dual latches on the tail gate. I'm just thinking the double cab would look really nice with the double wall box on it.

My thought was also more along the lines of finding a good cab from salvage (with doors and windows), then just transplant the whole thing to my truck. Probably a lot easier to get my clearances with the officials that way.

I don't know how practical the idea is, cost wise, but I do think it could make for a cool truck!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They all had double walled boxes IIRC. I do know that it is way easier to get a JDM or aussie truck in Canada then into the US. There is a limitiation I think 15 years here for importing foreign trucks, south of the border I think you have to have it safety and emissions certified before you can put it on the road. IIRC some states wont even look at it.

I almost picked up a diesel, quad cab, SA4X4 when I picked up black beauty. What turned me off was some of the people who had done it, they had vehicles with obviously more miles then were on the OD and engine parts were hugely more expensive. Add all that to the extra 5-8 grand and I passed. Nice truck though.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:20 PM

I think you're on the right track just getting a cab/doors/rear glass and fitting it to your US truck. The engine hasn't changed, so emissions aren't a problem, and the front of the cab is identical to the US version, so crash test results should be the same. I've thought about this idea myself (just dreaming) and it would be REALLY COOL if someone actually does this. Go for it, dude!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 PM

The problem of course is that the VIN is on the cab. This is a good idea you might be able to get a complete cab from say SA and only pay 2-3 grand for it.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't you just swap entire bodies? And keep your drive train/frame/platform/engine, etc. ?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 AM

Actually the VIN# is riveted to the dash, so if you swap your dash, hood, fenders, and front doors over that will pretty much transfer most of your original VIN#'s over. I removed my dash once to repaint it, so that's why I'm certain the VIN plate is riveted to the dash.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 AM

I stand corrected. Doesn't change the fact that some states wont let you register it though. If you can do it then I'd say its a cool mod.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM

Good luck. Figure at least $3-5K to get the cab here and more for making it work. I ordered a cab from OZ in '01 for $2500. Unfortunately, the cab was damaged by the wrecker before JD could get it pulled, so it never happened. Shipping, we thought, would be in the $1500 range, but I think it would have been closer to $2500-3K. As much as I want one to this day, not worth the $5K + work to make it happen.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

see this?

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=13899

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=14777

Last edited by bamachem; 01-24-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Or how about mounting a 4Runner body that's had the rear 1/3 chopped off (behind the rear doors) and the rear cab wall welded in? Then shorten the front of the box.
Would that be more cost effective and easier to register?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

you mean something like this?

http://www.mudrunner.ca

Old 01-24-2006, 11:05 AM

wrong generation, Andy. And unfortunately, in my mind, the wheelbase is too long.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

The cost part is the reason that I've been trying to find out if the double cab was available in Mexico (I figure a serious road trip to get it might not be out of the question). So far, I haven't had any luck in finding out whether they were offered in Mexico, or not.

I'd just as soon avoid sourcing one from a right hand drive country, as I'm sure that that would mean having to replace the firewall, so that everything mounted where it needs to for left hand drive. That would certainly be more of a hassle than I would want to get into! (and the novelty of having RHD here would wear off pretty quickly - I've driven LHD in the Bahamas, where they, too drive on the left, and it is a complete PITA to pass, when you are by yourself!)

As far as the VIN stuff, my truck has been registered here for 15 years. I'd just transfer the dash tag, and swap the body sheet metal (or add it, if all I got was the cab and front frame). I seriously doubt that the authorities around here would notice or care, and I sure wouldn't feel guilty about it, since it would still be the same truck, with a couple of more doors on it!

Its still probably going to be too expensive to bother, but worth looking into to find out!

Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 AM

I still think a chopped off 4Runner body would fit well on an extra cab frame and leave enough room for a shortened box (like the Ford Explorer SporTrac).