Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0l Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what kind of HP & TQ increase have people seen from just the ISR,a nd also what kind of MPG increase have people gotten from it?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could be considered a cold air intake and I actually think it gave my 3.slow a little oomph (butt dyno).

Andy
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Isn't the stock air intake a cold air intake? It takes it from behind the headlight. And there is no way in hell a headlight can make enough BTU's to warm up the air that will get sucked past it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Good point, that plastic piece that wraps around the back of the headlight and attaches to the air box works well to keep the engine bay air mostly out of the intake system.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 PM

I was actually looking at that today and thinking the same thing. That actual intake is down low and right where it is sucking in relatively cold air.

Does the stock air box restrict a lot of airflow? Is there any point in using a cone filter over the stock filter box? I have seen people who pulled them off and went back to the stock air filter box.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
id like to think that that little piece of plastic crap is considered a "heat shield", but if you look, its actually still behind the light and the radiator core support and its only got 2 or three LITTLE holes to draw air in from...

cold air intakes, to be fully used , need to be exposed to air from outside the engine compartment, which is why a lot of cars route tubing under the front bumper right off the ground where air being pushed under the car is the "coldest"...

A Short Ram Intake (SRI) is a simple pipe with a filter element that replaces the stock intake tubing and airbox. It is usually open in the engine compartment and the horsepower gains are usually small due to the fact that it is getting the hot air under the hood. On a turbo car this is usually not an issue since the hot air gets run through an intercooler before reaching the engine. The shorter intake pipe length usually provides better response and low end torque, even if the top end power is severely compromised.

A Cold Air Intake (CAI) is generally accepeted as the ideal type for a naturally aspirated car. The longer pipe length generally means the power and torque gains are limited to the mid-high rpm range, but this is fine since that is where races take place anyways. Having the filter element mounted outside the engine bay or in a protective heat shielded box (usually behind the headlight) tends to offer FAR superior gains compared to a SRI.

This is why i, coming from the scion tuner scene, was confused as to what everyone calls the ISR... which it is, but we are effectively making our intakes into Short Ram Intakes...
Old 10-04-2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
This is why i, coming from the scion tuner scene, was confused as to what everyone calls the ISR... which it is, but we are effectively making our intakes into Short Ram Intakes...
Not everyone uses a cone filter. I might even guess less than half do. Unless you live in the desert you run the risk of getting your filter wet.

I did read a good article about creating your own cold air intake and I can't find it. Sorta a DIY guide to making your own under the hood cold air intake filter box. It seals to the hood to isolate it from the engine bay heat....
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 AM

Ok I am sorry you guys did not get a pic of the ducting we ran from out of the vechicle so it gets COLD AIR
Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by J_Dawg72
Ok I am sorry you guys did not get a pic of the ducting we ran from out of the vechicle so it gets COLD AIR
well that would help see the completed product.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM

I doubt it's "2 or 3 little holes to draw air from." You'd be amazed at what infiltration can do. Especially when you stick a vacuum on one side.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Thumbs down Final Post

I will not be showing any more pics of what we have done for the Cold Air. This is for one simple reason. I came on here trying to give some people a good source for simple horsepower and milage gains. All I got was a bunch of douche bags who would rather talk smack than maybe learn a new way to do the ISR mod to improve results I would have posted the CAD Drawings of the tubing and plate so you could make your own. Now that i see no one wants a cheap improvement on their existing 3.0 intakes or the plans it doesn't matter anymore. $40 for 7 hp is cheap in my opnion. And hey you can't be free when you have the CAD drawings. Oh well to each their own. May you all have a great evening and enjoy your 3.Slow with your Ok milage...........................
I was even hoping to learn a few things while on this site and I did I learned for every nice member who may want some info that will help or wants to help others there is a large amount of douche poodles that think they know everything there is about Toyotas and the engines they install in them.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by STEVE_R
WHAT THE HELL!! why is everybody hatin on j dawg? ok, i get it, the 3.0 doesn't impress the die hard "yota" off roader. yes the 3.4 L is night and day, no ? bout it. but who in this day of economics, has 5000 dollars to throw one in, and for what? maybe a 50 hp gain! hmmm.... 5000 for maybe 50 horses or 150 for 10- 20 hp. i say i'll keep my 3.0 for now and do what i can to make it better(even if it is a little bit) i say thank you j dawg for letting us not so rich yota die hards in on this info!
I <3 my 22RE way more than any of those 3.4's!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to realize something. These trucks have been around for a long time. Many a "Cold air intake" kits have come into the market. The best of them only netting just under 5rwhp.

For you to come on saying how your cold air intake made an amazing amount of power... well.. get what im saying?

We are not trying to be dicks... well not intentionally
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
We are not trying to be dicks... well not intentionally