Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3.0l Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 3.slow too. I am very interested in the dyno specs on it. Some pictures would not hurt my feelings, maybe even some pictures on the dyno. "I trust everyone, just not the devil inside them". If this is real, I am in. It seems plausible, but it also sounds too good to be true.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by MSR
whats funny is he's holding the shop name ransom i'm in norcal and i advertise it, everyone who see's my sig know i own a shop. If its so great give me a name and lets see I work on more 3.0's on the north coast than 99% of toyota only shops.
i agree... just post the name of the shop... and if its your shop, dont be afraid to shamelessly plug your own shop name...
also, where is this shop located??? like, what part of Nor Cal???

EDIT: just saw you posted the name... sorry...

Last edited by space-junk; 09-30-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by J_Dawg72
I Have A 1989 Toy With A 3.0l V-6 And I Was Dissappointed With The Amount Of Power That The Engine Had. I Was Stoked To Find A Shop In Northern Cal. That Produces A Custom Offroad Cyclone Cold Air Intake That I Purchased For My Truck. They Also Offer A Adapter Plate That Is A Velocitystack For A 3 Inch Setup With A Cone Filter On The End. I Purchased The Velocity Stack With A Built In Cyclone And Put It On My Truck Made A World Of Difference. I Then Thought If This Plate Make This Much Difference The Tube Would Make Alot Of Difference As Welll. I Got Them Both The Plate,tube,and Mounting Brakets For $150. I Was Very Pleased With The Intake. I Would Advise Other 3.0l Engine Owners To Do The Same It Made My Truck Fun To Drive Again. If You Have Any Questions Or Want Their Info Write Me I Will Give It To You.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM

i WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE! iM NOT TRYING TO BRAG ITS NOT MY FALT YOU GOT BUT HERT. NOW IM SORRY IF YOU DONT WANT TO SAVE GAS AND GET MORE POWER BUT FOR THOSE WHO DO I SIGGEST YOU TRY ONE. ITS NOT NLIKE IT BROKE THE BANK TO BUY IT...
dude your not helping anyone, your just trying to sell your merchandise. Ive use a tornado fuel saver, it doesent give me more power, and helps with gas by like half a gallon, a better suggestion would have been K&N cold air intake. Wow I should be a salesman.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM

The shop name is J&J Custom Perfromace. I am going to dyno my truck on Thursday and will get back to all of you with the dyno results. Keep you KNN I will take my custom intake over a knn all day. The KNN for the 3.0 is worthless. I experienced more power and mileage with a custom one made for my truck.
another thing, where are the pictures of this revolutionary product? I like to see what kind of deal we are looking at.

I made a cold air kit for my friends crown vic, cost about 60 bucks,(edit) [It feels like we] picked up about 20 horsepower, of course this is on a 260 horsepower stock car, but still. I would like to see this one for ideas.

Last edited by Alex 400; 10-06-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
dude your not helping anyone, your just trying to sell your merchandise. Ive use a tornado fuel saver, it doesent give me more power, and helps with gas by like half a gallon, a better suggestion would have been K&N cold air intake. Wow I should be a salesman.
I could see a tornado maybe working on a like a holley 4 barrel or similar where the air and fuel goes basically straight to the runners and to the valves. But on our engines, the air goes straight to the back hits the back side of the plenum and then goes down to a lower manifold where it goes into the runners to the valves. Something all the way by the MAF sensor isn't going to a whole lot later.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM

He said KNN.... say it fast and it's like K & N... sorta like eminem?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 PM

mmm M&Ms... so are you saying that a tornado might work on carbed engines? In that case I'll go get a coffee can and make one.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by slisdexia
mmm M&Ms... so are you saying that a tornado might work on carbed engines? In that case I'll go get a coffee can and make one.
well i mean, with a carb motor, the tornado, or the piece of metal that makes air go in all swirly like, is right on top of the throats of the carb as well as the runners in the intake manifold. In this case, it would actually do what it is supposed to do, mix the air and fuel more completely and thus making a cleaner, more complete burn. When the tornado is put at the end of the intake tube all the way by the airbox, (especially with the silencer bs on the 3.0 and most newer fuel injected cars) the vortex of swirly air that is supposed to mix the fuel into cannot possibly make it all the way from the air filter, through the silencer, up the intake tube, passed the throttle plate, down the upper plenum runners and then down the lower intake tubes where the air finally mixes with the fuel. phfew.

That is why i think it could work on a carbbed rig and not so much on a efi rig.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM

J&J Custom Performace is located in a small town called Grass Valley, or Valley of the Grass. I am not plugging my company. I am simply trying to assist other people with the same sluggish 3.0L that I got stuck with. Like I said I will put the DYNO info on this page thursday or friday. As for 20 hp where is the dyno info?????? When did a Crown Vic with heater ducting make it on a yota forum. I used the KNN kit i thought it did not stack up to the one I purchased and installed. And who said TORANDO those are a way different design to what came in the adapter plate the kit came with that I purchased.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah you are right about the Air going in the upper intake and all. Think of it this way. When aie twists through a pipe it can take in a hinger cfm. simply a higher valocity of air going though youre mas aif flow the cumputer tells the injectors to back off a little. As long as you can keep youre foot out of the gas.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 PM

The shop name is J&J Custom Perfromace. I am going to dyno my truck on Thursday and will get back to all of you with the dyno results. Keep you KNN I will take my custom intake over a knn all day. The KNN for the 3.0 is worthless. I experienced more power and mileage with a custom one made for my truck.
without a baseline run it would be useless
Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM

J&J Custom Performace is located in a small town called Grass Valley, or Valley of the Grass. I am not plugging my company. I am simply trying to assist other people with the same sluggish 3.0L that I got stuck with. Like I said I will put the DYNO info on this page thursday or friday. As for 20 hp where is the dyno info?????? When did a Crown Vic with heater ducting make it on a yota forum. I used the KNN kit i thought it did not stack up to the one I purchased and installed. And who said TORANDO those are a way different design to what came in the adapter plate the kit came with that I purchased.
sorry. The reason i put that up was because that was a cold air kit that i had made. I asked for dyno info and yet i can't produce any. the seat in the pants and feel and 0-60 times is what we have to go by. we didn't have the money for dyno runs. (i am laughing at this point) don't diss my adjustable exhaust duct! hahahaha it worked! we used a pencil thermometer and the intake temp with out the ducting was around 130 degrees and with the ducting it brought it down to about 75 degrees. The reason i put that up is because it cost about 60 bucks to make. that's all.

The torando. o.k. That is what it sounded like to me. does it do the same thing? I haven't seen a picture of your adapter plate so all i can try and imagine what it might look like. sorry.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jason191918
without a baseline run it would be useless
yup, x2
Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM

After my dyno run I will have all the pics and pics of the truck at the dyno for you to see so you all dont think I am lying
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM

I am running a baseline run and with the performace parts so I will have three 1 with stock one with the adapter plate and one with Both on it.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
you seem very sure that is going to cost under 2900 bucks. I know it is possible to do, but things can come up that could easily push that over. just wondering how you plan to keep it under 2900 bucks.
Ok, I know that happens, but the cost of the engine say $2200 for the engine with all the required parts, do my own wiring, and fab my own exhaust, that leaves about $700 for misc stuff that I might need or break..lol... It won't be anywhere close to $5K. I am sure if you got everything you needed from ORS it could reach $5K easily. Once I start it I will be sure to post it up. But that won't be for about 2-3 more months.

Originally Posted by 4runner999
(under the hood hot engine bay) Thats why they make Heatshields
True... very true..
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by RaginYota
Ok, I know that happens, but the cost of the engine say $2200 for the engine with all the required parts, do my own wiring, and fab my own exhaust, that leaves about $700 for misc stuff that I might need or break..lol... It won't be anywhere close to $5K. I am sure if you got everything you needed from ORS it could reach $5K easily. Once I start it I will be sure to post it up. But that won't be for about 2-3 more months.

True... very true..

Yeah that is true. Yeah, if get to the point of doing the 3.4 swap i would try and get a entire donor truck so that I could just pull wiring harness off of the donor truck.

Yeah, I can't wait to see it happen.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by RaginYota

True... very true..

Side tracking a little bit, but... i love my 92 p/u as much as anybody, I even considered the 3.4 swap. But after looking on craigs list, you can buy 4 runners with the 3.4 in them for $5K to $7K, and you dont have to do the swap at all. I would much rather install lifts and gears and stuff than an engine swap. I even saw a TRD 4runner the other day with the TRD super charger for $6k ( I almost cried wish I had seen that before I bought my truck). SO that pretty much rules me out for 3.4 swaps JMOP. It's your money spend it how you like.

back on topic, very interested in the dynos. Very skeptical too.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM

i feel the majority of the people that do the 3.4 swap aren't really concerned about the price. its about keeping their older Toyota and swapping in another more powerful Toyota motor. You could probably sell your Toyota and buy a newer truck with the 3.4 already for around the same if not cheaper than doing the swap.

I personally love my 2nd gen 4runner and want to keep it as long as possible, therefore i plan on doing the 3.4 swap. I mean why wouldn't you? Still have a Toyota engine, with more power/efficiency and the coolness factor of swapping in a 3.4!

For me, i learn best doing hands on work, therefore with the 3.4 swap, it gives you a good chance to learn about the motor going in rather than buying one and not having to work on it.

MY $0.02

Quick Reply: 3.0l Improvement