How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
    Print Wikipost

2nd gen 4runners lift guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by monst
    I am close enough to pick it up. I am still curious on labor. Any ideas?

looks like 1000 kit + 300 axle + ?? labor.
    I'm just curious but are you still running the coils in the rear? If you are you might want to do leaf springs in the rear while you are at it.
    Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM

I am running coils in the rear. I just got a suggestion to do ball diff spacers set at 3" and total chaos idler arms. I think that might do the trick, I think I also might only have the 4 inch bracket lift. So should be to much of a difference. Gonna check on that route first.
    Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM

well good luck... there is no way i would ever use 3inch bj spacers. 1.5 is pushing the limits of the cv axles the way it is. what size tire are you planing on running? Anything bigger then 35"s and you are absolutely crazy. I just think you are tying to put money into a weak IFS system that has very limited capabilities as far as flex. People have done crazy lifts on these things but it seams like they always regret it and do a SAS later on. If it's a street queen I say go for it. If it's actually going to be used do it right and spend a bit more money. Other then that it looks like you have an awesome setup. 5vze and all.
    Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM

I am planning on staying with 33s. Doing SAS + rear leafs will cost me and arm and a leg. Especially since I wont be doing the work myself.

right now I am thinking 2.5" BJ, 1" diff drop which i think is already installed it might be 2" that I will have to shorten. Then a total chaos idler arm.

Looks like I would be dropping my front about 1.5" inches, but raising between the wheels by 2.5".

I also have manual hubs and a spare CV.
    Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM

I take that back, 2.5 is way to large. Going going to go with 1.5.
    Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
    Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    Originally Posted by monst
    I take that back, 2.5 is way to large. Going going to go with 1.5.
    As far as I know, there are no ball joint spacers taller than 1.5", the ones advertised as 2", 2.5" and even 3" are stretching the truth:
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...cer.shtml#FAQ2

Here is a shot of a competitors 2.5" cast spacer (left) next to a 1.5" CNC machined spacer (right):

- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ml#Description

I can't see the extra inch.
    Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM

my 91 4runner has i believe a 6 inch lift in the rear and a sas. i want to go bigger with the rear. any suggestions??
    Old 12-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Hello everybody, I apologise if this thing has been already debated, but I went through all the 26 pages of this thread and did many other search, and still couldn’t find a straight answer to what I am looking for.
    I would like to know if for a moderate front lift (2”) are offered on the market REPLACEMENT CONTROL ARMS. I found them only for higher lifts (4” or more). So far I found that for a 2” lift only 2 methods are possible: one is BJ spacers and the other is cranking the torsion bars (less recommended, and I do confirm this from my experience).
    I would prefer replacement control arms, as they seem me to be a more reliable system, being them a unique piece of metal and not many pieces bolted together. Also I expect them to be specifically designed and tested for the vehicle, hence –again- providing a higher level of reliability and, possibly, performance.
    Anyway, for me “reliability” is the most important thing, above performance and price (if reasonable).

For example, I found that Calmini does this for Nissan: http://www.purenissan.com/d22_control_arms.htm

Thank you for attention and apologies for my bad English.

Last edited by Enri.; 12-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM
    Contributing Member

I think Blazeland has a long travel, mild lift kit with control arms as do some of the other pre-runner/desert race suspension outfits. US$1200 on up for the basic parts plus you have to add some parts on top of that.

Ball joint spacers are not overly complex or unreliable:
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...onDocument.pdf

You already have the ball joints bolted to the control arms. All the spacers do is to slip a chunk of billet aluminum in between the two:
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...cer.shtml#FAQ2

Of course you would probably want to steer clear of the cheap cast aluminum spacers like you find on eBay (see above photo).
    Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 PM

BJ spacers and call it good. They are just as reliable as it is stock. Just don't touch the 4 inch kits made by pro comp or anyone else... they are truly unreliable, will break and cost a lot. Just don't do it.
    Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Woodendude ya it sucks they did not sell fj80's in Canada my old man has one that we're building and tried to get a rad for it the only thing we could was have toyota order one through the states first even though it was coming from Japan lol!! or have a dude make us one custom !! so ya even toyota has issues for getting these parts here! if your good with mesurement and tools and junkyards some doors can open for you!
    Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM

sorry was reading first page didn't realize there was 26 pages lol!
    Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM

4Crawler and Nathanmyers, thank you very much for your replies.
    I’ve opened an other thread (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bility-263835/) ‘cause I felt I was going to mess up this nice one. Maybe you want to come over there and write some more words.
    Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Any one running 5.29 gearing with 33-12.50 and alot of extra weight like bumpers and so. if so how do you like it?
    Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM

Finished up LC coil and bj spacer lift on 305/70/17
    Attached Thumbnails 2nd gen 4runners lift guide-img_20130112_065610_205.jpg  
    Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM

hey guys I have been roaming this site for little over a year just signed up a while ago I am not a big poster I like to read and learn what I can..

Here is my question(S)

First question is damn which lift to go with?? lol so many and I would rather not get something I am unhappy with I dont have a money tree in the back yard haha

I have been looking for coil over shocks for a 1990 runner but I cant find them. Is this because they dont make them or I am just not looking in the right spots?

also I have seen some lift with replacement a arms but I was looking for some tubular a arms. DOnt know if they make these either..

i want a 4 inch lift because I am planning on putting my 302 EFI in my 4 runner. I would like a kit that comes with everything I need such as drop links and so on. My truck is obviously IFS and I am going to keep it that way.. Not a rock crawler. I use the runner to go camping and fishing in and it is a daily driver.
    Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
    Contributing Member

You won't find coil overs for the front because your truck has torsion bars. Crank them up or use ball joint spacers:
    - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

Or get a long travel kit if you want new control arms, I think Chaos Fab makes those kits, or Blazeland for a lower cost kit.
    Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Look in yotatech classifieds used ballpoint spacers, tighten torsion bars, LC coils, buy a factory replacement rear brake line, remove front sway bar, make or buy front differential drop, buy longer shocks, and re align . All total if you look for deals and have patience under 400
    Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

thanks guys I was doing some reading and I think I am just going to go with the 1 1/2 inch BJ spacer with some LC coils and shocks.. I think I would be happy with that..
    Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Thumbs up

good info , specially on the extra maintenance involved with bj spacers . thats why a bl can help fit 33's . untill the sas . i use mine offroad alot but the tires are 31s . put in the 488s , hubs , removed add ,locked up , and just installed a mid 80s 5 speed with a gear drive t case getting ready for the 4.7 s . its also a dd so a bl is a 1 day project . same for bj spacers and lc coils or spacers , and a small investment . these can keep someone driving uninterupted and can get a real 4" lift doing both bj and bl . plus the bl is good for future planned mods like raising transfercase , and fuel tank .

Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runners lift guide