Last edit by: IB Advertising
    Print Wikipost

2nd gen 4runners lift guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 AM
    tc
    Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    Note that the 4-6" of lift is over the sag. I only saw 1-2" of lift over my non-sagged Eibach coils.
    Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    well it cant ride much lower then it does now, so once I get them on and the procomp 4" up front I can reevaluate based on how it turns out.
    Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM

ok everything I used :
    Front - ball joint spacers and small tbar crank.
    rear - 99 LC coils, panhard drop bar.
    and new longer shocks all the way around.
    for the brack line i actually made an L angle that made the break lines a bit taller so i didnt have to buy longer ones.

If u have any questions just ask or pm me. id be glad to help
    Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SR5
    1.5 inch ball joint spacers with land cruiser coils, with 33x10.50 tires
    I´m planning to lift my 4runner. Looking for some similar setup as yours.

I have little information and options here in Venezuela about this trucks, they just came a few on importation. But The Serie 80 are all around.

So, What Im looking for the front is:
    - 2.5" Front Ball Joint Spacer
    - Sway bar drop brackets
    - Differential Drop

For the read is what is confusing to me. cuz in your picture un have 1.5 BJ spacer and serie 80 coils, and your back look a little lower. For this reason im considering the idea to take some OME serie 80 2" Soft and an Panhard Drop Bracket.

If this is correct my rear will be 3" lift and my front 2.5". Little tortion bar and will match.

If anyone can help. Thanks!!!!.
    Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 AM

^^^ it looks like hes on a slight hill that might be wut makes the back look lower
    Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM

i wonder why every goes for the fj80 coils.. doesnt EMU sell fresh 4runner coils? im shure they would be easily attainable compared to searching around a skrapyard for FJ's, im guessing a set of ranchos would tank in the place of the specified nitrocharger shox that EMU calls for in relation to the coils
    Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM

^^ Price?

I got mine for 30 bucks
    Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 AM

My Procomp Stud to Eyelet shock mount adapters (part#690001) showed up in the mail last night. The problem with them is that the 'stud' is a massive 5/8" bolt...much larger in diameter than the stud on the stock shocks.

Before I take the irreversible step of drilling out the shock mount holes on the frame to install these adapters I'm interested in how other people have mounted eyelet/eyelet shocks in the rear. Considering the Procomp ES9000 922506 eyelet/eyelet shocks were mentioned as a good choice for the rear a number of times in this thread I would assume other people have already encounted these issues. Are there other adapters that use a smaller bolt that people are using instead of teh procomp adapter?

Maybe I should just take the loss and start fresh and order some of the Skyjacker 3-4" lift stud/eyelet shocks for an easy out? But I haven't seen anyone recommend the Skyjacker shocks...are they crappy?

I'm in a small town with no local shops I can go to for info so I'm relying on info I can get off here. Any advice/tips are appreciated.
    Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Hmmm no input from anyone? Figured someone must have used those adpater before that could give the thumbs up or down.

Oh well I came up with Plan C in the meantime anyway. Found some other ES9000 that are stud/eye and look to have better extended/collapsed numbers than the 922506+adapter anyway (ie longer extended & shorter collapsed...2" more overall travel). Backordered everywhere though so looks like another month before this will be over...
    Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM

To lift, or not to lift?

Hey guys... Sorry for the rookie questions, but...
    I recently picked up a Hilux Surf (Japanese 4Runner), and it needs a new set of tires. It has factory running boards and fender flares. I'm sure 33x10.5's wouldn't rub just driving around town, but i'm wondering if they would when off-roading (nothing too crazy)?

Also, it has shocks that can switch for soft to hard. Not sure if this a common to the Runners of north American... I like the feature and I'd like to keep it if I decide to lift it. How much lift could I put in before I have to swap to a bigger shock? And do they make the switchable kind in bigger sizes?

And are there any downsides to using balljoint spacers?
    Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
    Ditch the running boards and you should be alright. Mine did ok with 33x12.5's I now have 35's and they do rub a bit on the pinch weld and the rear bumper some. I also had to modify the front deflector a bit. I do not have BJ spacers yet but I do have LC coils in the rear. 33's you should do just fine.
    Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply...

Problem is I like the running boards. I want to keep the overall look the truck has now, but I'm thinking bigger tires and maybe a 2-3 inch lift would make it... better(IMO). lol
    Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention it's a '91, if that matters...
    Old 06-07-2010, 05:39 PM

If your Hilux Surf has the same flares as my Hilux Surf ('91 SSR-G) then they do take up some real estate in the front wheel wells, mainly in front of the pinch weld. On the Australian Hilux Surf forums everyone seems to recommend a 4" lift to fit 33's which seems extreme since many people here appear to run 33's with very little to no lift. I think it is likely related to the flares. I just did cruiser coils and BJ spacer on my Surf...just waiting on the rear shocks to show up in the mail and then I'll be off to the tire store for some BFG AT's 33x10.5's and an alignment.

It was sad ditching the electric adjustable shocks but I think they were at the end of their life anyway. Now trying to think O what mod could use that wiring and/or the 4 shock actuator motors.
    Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 PM

need input...

thanks Psilosin...
    I've checked out the Aussie site, and they've been fairly helpful. post some pics when you're done the lift... I was considering the same lift.
    After a little digging and a few helpful Aussie's, I've discovered that my Surf seems to be pretty close to the factory ride height, but I still can't shake the feeling that it looks too low... here's a pic:

What do you guys think?
    it's got 30's on it right now (expect for the spare the right rear which I think is a 265/70R15) and I'm thinking 33's will rub (if not on road, then off)
    Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM

I had 33's on a stocker and they rubbed a bit in the rear but I had a really saggy hiney. They did tuck nicely on flex though, they rubbed when it would bounce and I had 4 in the runner and junk in the back as well. Then I installed LC coils and now I don't rub at all with 33's, I still need to do the front BJ spacers.
    Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

does anyone have pics of the bj spacers with the rear coil spacers? im thinking of doing a small lift on my 95 runner. will be doing some lite off roading nothing crazy. just want to see what it looks like and some advice from you guys that are running this type of setup.

thanks
    Old 06-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by TOE-B
    does anyone have pics of the bj spacers with the rear coil spacers? im thinking of doing a small lift on my 95 runner. will be doing some lite off roading nothing crazy. just want to see what it looks like and some advice from you guys that are running this type of setup.

thanks
    Check post 304...
    Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
    Check post 304...
    its not the same, at least the back isnt! he got the fj80 coils. i want to keep my stock coils and just add the spacer to it, as my stock coils dont have alot of sag to them. i also plan on keeping the 31x1050 or just going to a 32 nothing that big.
    Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

It will be right close using the 2" spacers...

Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runners lift guide