How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
    Print Wikipost

2nd gen 4runners lift guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by Johnny5
    I ordered the 4 inch OME kit from trdparts and have a hard time believing that you can successfully get the front up four inches. Even with the ball joint spacers your counting on the torsion bars to get you up the other 2.5''. That being said the OME heavy duty coils plus 2'' inch coil spacers lifted my rear almost 6 inches from stock. I took the spacers out because there was no way I was going to get the torsion bars to compensate for that. If you want a 4 inch suspension lift I suggest you look at the rough country stuff. Or do a mild suspension lift and a 1 or 2'' body lift.

that sounds perfect with the kit you got. and do you have any pics of it with the lift and what it looks like with the coil spacers in. thanks!
    Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Hey Blrider2001 can you talk more about how you eleminated the brake equalizer. I was curious about it, it looks like alot of junk under there.
    Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Originally Posted by WILLTHISIFSGOHIGHER
    Hey Blrider2001 can you talk more about how you eleminated the brake equalizer. I was curious about it, it looks like alot of junk under there.
    on the left frame rail in the front wheel well is the spliter. remove the line coming out of the rear of the block and plug it, you can cut the line close to the fitting and weld it shut and reinstall it. in the rear disconnect the other end of that line and remove the three way. inatall a 90degree elbow in between the other two lines. one is the feed and the other is the line going down to the axle it is rubber flex. you can leave the other line in the frame or remove it. bleed brakes and go. works great and has more pedal in my opion
    The following users liked this post:
    mcruz (03-30-2021)
    Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 PM

i have a question on mounting new shocks on my runner. i was going to get some procomp es9000s but would i have to put shock hoops to mount those on my runner? or are there any other shocks i could put on where i wouldnt neeed shock hoops? ohh i am looking at new shocks cuz i want to put some crusier coils and BJ spacers for a cheap lift. help greatly apprciated.=]]
    Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 AM

Shock hoops? As far as I know they dont make hoops for our Runners I wish they did. You can fit those shocks now, you dont need any hoops or anything
    Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 AM

hoops are only for sas kits
    Old 04-17-2010, 11:27 AM
    tc
    Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    There are plenty of shocks out there with the right mounting configuration to not need hoops.

There's a HUUUGE thread on shocks for the BJ Spacer/Cruiser coil lift.
    Old 04-18-2010, 01:46 PM

thank you very much guys
    Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 AM

this is what i have been looking for!!! where can i get ball joint spacers
    Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
    Here: http://www.wabfab.org/

or here: http://4crawler.com/
    Old 04-27-2010, 03:22 PM

or toytechlifts.com
    Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 PM

how far cant the rear trac arms go? like a 4in ifs kit in front and lc coils in rear. do i need drop brackets longer arms, and what about the panhard bar?
    Old 05-09-2010, 12:34 PM
    tc
    Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    On my SAS'd rig, the rear used stock lowers, remade uppers to adjust the pinion angle, and a drop for the panhard bar. It worked, but looking back, it would have been SOOOO easy to lengthen the lowers to put the wheelbase back where it belonged (or longer) and IMHO that would have tamed a lot of the complaints I had about that setup.

Would have been MUCH easier than doing a leaf spring conversion, which was wasted $ IMHO.
    Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 AM

So my LC coil + BJ spacer lift is underway on my Surf. I'll throw it out there that this is the first time I have done anything with suspension so what would take many of you a day will likely take me a week or longer as I overthink each step lol.

Anyway I started on the rear and I got as far yesterday as removing the shocks, panhard rod, rear brake line and swaybar links and jacked the Surf up as high as I could go. I was surprised how easily everything came apart...yay for no rust!. On a few 'how-tos' I've looked at it indicated that there should be enough droop in doing this that the original springs should pretty much fall out on their own and not require a spring compressor. However with my suspension drooped as far as it will the springs are still very much in place and won't budge. Am I missing something?

It appears that the limiting factor in how far the axle can droop is the 2 horizontal bars that attach teh axle to the chassis (not sure what they are called...guessing upper track bars??)...the one on the passenger side is contacting the gas tank. Should I have disconected these as well? Pic below (not mine but it shows the bar in contact with the gas tank).

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
    When I did mine I used strut sprint compressors to get the old ones out and I used the same compressors and ratchet straps to get the LC's in.
    Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by woodendude
    And do you part #'s for front/rear 91 4Runner, 3.0
    Originally Posted by SR5
    yes
    Front 917514
    Rear 922506
    Any verification of these Procomp ES90000 shock part numbers?

I ordered a set of Procomp ES9000 922506 and they are unfortunately eyelet top and bottom...the factory shocks were eyelet bottom and stud top so sol on that internet order... Just wondering if the part number given by SR5 is incorrect or if by fluke I just got sent the wrong shocks.

UPDATE EDIT: Found that ProComp makes an eyelet to stud adapter so I guess that was the missing piece of the equation...so don't forget to order that along with the 922506's for the rear if going the ProComp route.

Last edited by Psilosin; 05-16-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Question Combining Rough Country Lift with Land Cruiser Coils

Hey guys, well this is my 4th toyota truck, and first one that was built in the 90's

Anyways I have a 93 4runner with some awful rear sag/and/lean I was thinking of lifting it anyways, (I miss my 85 runner on 33's with 3" susp lift) but I have never worked with coils, all my other trucks were leafs.

So I started reading through this thread and came across this quote:

4-5" Rough Country lift $609
    *Now this is meant for an 86-96 4wd IFS Pickup, however all you need to do is replace those blocks with 80 Series Land cruiser coils.*
    As most of you probably know, rough country now offers a kit WITH the coils for around $800, (A little steep for my wallet according to the boss lady ) So I checked ebay, and and craigslist and came across someone selling
    89-90 Toyota pickup parts 2 lft doors 1 rt door $35 ea , frt diff $75 , 4" suspension lift $250, transfercase $75 , multiple transmission parts ,rear windows $35 ea
    and I figure 4" suspension lift for $250 will cover the front but if memory serves me right my 89 pickup had leafs in the rear, so still need to lift the rear 4" to match the front.

So What I am getting at is with a 4" lift kit that has blocks, what do you use from the kit / combine with new coils to get the 4" of lift to match the front, I am under the impression that the 80 LC springs give you 2-3" of lift and you add spacers to top to coils to get 4" is this correct?

Sorry if I sound confused. These fancy coils and IFS lifting is all new to me, I am used to solid axles and leafs with shackles

Thanks in Advance
    Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 AM

just an update on my last post, got an email from the guy about the lift saying
    its a 4.5 " procomp lift however it does not include the rear lift blocks or shocks. All parts are in good condition. Also Includes set of upper and lower control arms brake and hub assemblies
    So I think it will work good for me, I have been scouring the search on here and the other 10 or so yota sites I follow about the spring conversion and it looks like I can get anywhere from 4-6 inches of lift from the landcruiser coils. The only thing I am still unsure about is some people are talking about using the front or rear coils, and then there are different heights any where I seen some 19" and 21" I was reading so I have to figure out which size will give me about a 5 inch lift in the rear, anyone know?>

Thanks from an oldschool leaf pack guy!
    Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM

sorry if i missed it but wut year runner? I got a 91 and i used the coils from 1999 LC and got about 5 inches I used the rears. The rears are the same length the fronts aren't. the longer one in the front holds more weight or something like that. hope this helps
    Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 AM

its a 93, and yes that helps a ton, I keep reading about the different lengths, but if all the rears are the same length that makes it alot easier. Did you hvae to make any other modifications with the coils? Or was it just a quick and easy coil swap and extend some brake lines?

Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runners lift guide