How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
    Print Wikipost

2nd gen 4runners lift guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Originally Posted by Marc P
    Having owned my 4runner for about 7 years now, I have changed the suspension a few times.....here is my history lesson...

When I first bought it, Downey was the only game in town...so I purchased some 1.5" HD coils and cranked the torsion bars to match. It had very little flex, but worked ok for the trails I was running.

Then the ball joint spacers were available from SDORI and I put them on, relaxed the torsion bars to factory specs, and went with 33x10.5 BFG's. It worked great, flexed ok, but the front was a little higher than the rear again.

I then replaced the rear coils with some FJ80 coils, and added a Panhard drop bracket. It worked good, but the truck leaned a little due to the coils being different lengths (that is how they are). So I bough another set and used both long side coils.

I ran that setup for quite a while, until the upper control arm bushings gave me issues...I ditched the IFS and completed an axle swap up front. For the rear I have basically the stock configuration with the exception of adjustable upper links, adjustable panhard bar, and OME 860 springs. Eventually I may swap the rear to leaf springs.

what size tire are on your t4r in the 3rd pic from the top? i like that look.
    Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM

For the ome coils and the 1.5" bj spacers....what size shocks do i need? Im gonna go with the es9000s.
    Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 PM

new coils: $100
    bjspacers: $100
    newshocks:$100
    phdb: $70
    lspvb: $20
    ex-brakeline: $60
    ------------------
    total: $ 450

sound about right?
    Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
    Originally Posted by mark_H
    Current pricing on Option 2 is $535 at trdparts4u. I just finished installing it, and feel it's more than 2" of lift.
    You were probably sitting lower then factory. I know I am haha.

This is the same kit I am going to get. Thanks for the before and afters in the same spot. runner looks great!
    Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
    You were probably sitting lower then factory. I know I am haha.

This is the same kit I am going to get. Thanks for the before and afters in the same spot. runner looks great!
    Yes, I think the rear was low to start with, it shows in the before pic. One thing about those parts, the BJ spacer requires cutting on the control arm, see instructions here,
    http://sdori.com/SDORI_4WD_Spacer_Install.html

You are trimming the lip on the arm so there's clearance for the spacer on the inside edge of the spacer.

Make sure you brace the arm as pictured, so you can remove the balljoint and have room for the install.

Last edited by mark_H; 09-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Panhard drop bracket

Reading through this whole post I think theres a bit of important information missing. How much does the panhard need to be dropped? With the 80 series coils is the standard 4Crawler bracket ok? There doesn't seem to be a consencus in how much lift the LC coils give so when I asked 4Crawler he said to measure the panhard after the coils are installed. I think it would be better to know before installing the coils to do everything at once.
    Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
    Well I'm in the process of doing this myself. I have 1 coil in now and hopefully be putting the other in tonight (it's not a DD). I do have the bracket and will be installing it as well. If you do not use it your rear axle will be shifted to the passenger side of the vehicle. The coils I installed brought it up almost 5" from where it was with the saggy butt. I think the bracket I have will drop it about 3.5" from stock so that should be enough to keep her straight.

My build thread is in my sig with pic's from last night.
    Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM

I think thats the main problem, all our trucks have sagged so much that theres no way to know how much actuall lift we get from the LC coils. I'm thinking 3" sounds about right, so a 3" drop down bracket should do the trick. Any different opinions?
    Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    so..what about us guys with the 4in bracket lift up front???

my rear end sags just a hair..i'll end up using some 1.5" or 2" spacers in the rear to fix it, but i was wondering if there were some coils out there to fix this problem..
    Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 50Runner
    I think thats the main problem, all our trucks have sagged so much that theres no way to know how much actuall lift we get from the LC coils. I'm thinking 3" sounds about right, so a 3" drop down bracket should do the trick. Any different opinions?
    I got 3.5" over sag from my LC Coils. At first it was closer to 4-4.5, but the settled to 3.5. The 4Crawler bracket was good, but I thought it should have been lower. My axle was still shifted to the pass. side.
    Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM

First time post!

I've read this entire thread pretty much 3 times... and might've missed something, and hopefully I don't make anybody repeat themselves..

Im looking at ordering the Option 1 (http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...dproduct=-7492) from those guys; Does anybody know of a place or site with a better price or perhaps free shipping?

Also, you can specify which spring rate you would like; is the 901 most preferred by members who use OME on this forum? On all the canadian forums I read, the consensus isn't very clear and I'm a bit confused. I plan on adding a guard and winch to the front and will be carrying anywhere from 0-200 lbs of gear in the rear; the hilux is also my DD, so obviously soft is nice, but not required.

With this lift, do I require the drop bracket or anything else to make it reliable in every aspect?

And lastly, should I get new front coils or are the stock ones what everybody seems to play around with?

Thanks very much! I absolutely love this site and hopefully I can contribute in the future! I am currently waiting for my Hilux to arrive...!
    Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 AM
    tc
    Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
    If you're in the right thread, you don't have coils in the front, you have torsion bars.

The kit you linked to uses balljoint spacers for the front lift.
    Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM

I just learned what torsion bars are :s

Can anyone else help me with these q's?
    Thx

Originally Posted by HiluxAlberta
    Im looking at ordering the Option 1 (http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...dproduct=-7492) from those guys; Does anybody know of a place or site with a better price or perhaps free shipping?

Also, you can specify which spring rate you would like; is the 901 most preferred by members who use OME on this forum? On all the canadian forums I read, the consensus isn't very clear and I'm a bit confused. I plan on adding a guard and winch to the front and will be carrying anywhere from 0-200 lbs of gear in the rear; the hilux is also my DD, so obviously soft is nice, but not required.

With this lift, do I require the drop bracket or anything else to make it reliable in every aspect?

Last edited by HiluxAlberta; 10-13-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by HiluxAlberta
    I just learned what torsion bars are :s

Can anyone else help me with these q's?
    Thx
    You can piece together the FJ80 rears and spacers up front with new shocks for cheaper than that kit. It says you'll get 3-4 inches. I got 3.5" from the fj80 rear coils, about 2" in the front from the spacers. I think all-in-all I was in it for around $550.00.

You mentioned wanting a soft ride- the 80's coils are really soft, and I loved the way they rode with 200+ lbs in the rear.

Oh, and that kit doesn't have a front diff drop or swaybar drop kit or the rear panhard drop bracket (necessary to keep your rear axle centered). My $550.00 also got me those...
    Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mark_H
    Current pricing on Option 2 is $535 at trdparts4u. I just finished installing it, and feel it's more than 2" of lift.

i like the new stance!, did u have to run a diff lowering kit? just wondering if this lift put's alot of stress on the front cv axles. looks great tho man!, im thinking about doing this as a temp lift untill i can afford SAS
    Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ardent
    You can piece together the FJ80 rears and spacers up front with new shocks for cheaper than that kit. It says you'll get 3-4 inches. I got 3.5" from the fj80 rear coils, about 2" in the front from the spacers. I think all-in-all I was in it for around $550.00.

You mentioned wanting a soft ride- the 80's coils are really soft, and I loved the way they rode with 200+ lbs in the rear.

Oh, and that kit doesn't have a front diff drop or swaybar drop kit or the rear panhard drop bracket (necessary to keep your rear axle centered). My $550.00 also got me those...
    Exactly what I needed to know.
    Thanks very much!
    Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    Originally Posted by 90_2DOOR
    i like the new stance!, did u have to run a diff lowering kit? just wondering if this lift put's alot of stress on the front cv axles. looks great tho man!, im thinking about doing this as a temp lift untill i can afford SAS

That's the 2" kit from trdparts4u, no diff lowering. They say you can do the 1.5" spacers in front with out stressing the CV's too much. The ride overall is so much better than the saggy worn out shocks and springs....
    Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
    Mark, Did you have to grind the Upper control arm? thats the only reason im nervous about the whole ball joint spacer idea. wanna give me some feed back on that one? makes me think twice about taking a grinder to my truck heh. what'd you have to do?
    Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
    Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
    Mark, Did you have to grind the Upper control arm? thats the only reason im nervous about the whole ball joint spacer idea. wanna give me some feed back on that one? makes me think twice about taking a grinder to my truck heh. what'd you have to do?
    yes, you have to cut out a small section of the UCA for the BJ spacers to fit. it's not that much - only just enough to make them fit, around .5". there are plenty of directions on the subject.
    Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
    lol thanks high, I dont wanna do a bracket lift, but yet the UCA trimming is... bleh. I might just bite the bullet and try out... I have to be an idiot to actually mess up, right? lol

Quick Reply: 2nd gen 4runners lift guide