Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re vs 3.0 v6 need help on rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well im talking 22re by the way not 22r carbed which has less power and can be more of a pain top maintain (cleaning carb, jets, exc..). and changing the oil is much more of a pain for me and my buddy who has a 3vze and has also seen my 22re. on the 3vze you have to go from underneath and up around the steering box or if u have small hands and enough grip to reach from the top. 22re you just go down the pass side under the efi and turn off... nothing in the way

and again in a comparison - plugs are easier to change on a 22re than a 3vze.

yeah the 22re has timing chains problems and thats real the only downside to it. but something you can avoid by replacing with metal ones or just replacing them after 10 years. not like the 3vze's HG problem where it just happens out of the blue.

gas mileage for me is 20 in town and around 25 on the hwy. and i get about 18mpg average with the 3vze. both 5spd on 31's. 4runner has 4.56's and pavement pounders, my pickup has 4.10's and 31" m/t's meaning my gearing is off and tires dont help with mileage ether and its still destroys the 4runners mileage.

dont get me wring here dude i love everything toyota and would love to have a 3vze 4runner over any usdm or jdm makers suv but as far as toyota goes the 3vze has to be one of their worst.

and about the toyota getting help on the 5vzfe. after the 3vze and not being able to figure out how to build a proper v6 they apparently had Yamaha help them design the Dual over head cam heads to get rid of the overheating and open up the top end. Yamaha has built engines with toyota for years like the 3sgte in the mr2 and im not sure but i think the 22re?? i learnt this from multiple people over the years and somewhere online like 2 years ago. i don't know 100% since i have no solid evidence from toyota so feal free to find out for sure and let me know lol

Last edited by 91_TOYOTA_4x4; 11-21-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
yeah the 22re has timing chains problems and thats real the only downside to it.

BS... Unless you blame improper PM on Toyota too?

They run so good, and for so long cheap moron's drive them into the ground and it's only then do they discover how expensive it is to fix one.

PM is always cheaper than replacing and having to pay someone else labor $$$, but you can't tell a moron that.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 11-21-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Not totally self-taught, but not totally not either. And who really is anyway? That would be a little on the impossible side no?
Your not mentioning the fact he had tutors from a young age in addition to school to furter his scientifid interest
http://www.time.com/time/2007/einstein/3.html

Taught himself the theory of special relativity too, among other things.

Once you get to a curtain point continued education becomes self taught, its how research is continue from person to person or generation to generation

None taken.

After all, it's not like I've never heard that before.

Only every time a 22RE lover hears me say something to that effect!

And it is a bit exaggerated to be quite honest. I'd probably drive a truck with one, I wouldn't like it though. Now that I've been spoiled on the stronger, more powerful option.

But a good engine also deserves a good defense IMO. And since very few are willing to defend it, I will. I've been more than pleased with my 3VZE since the day I bought it. And am even more so now that I've gotten aquainted with it. It's one hell of an engine in my book. I've also personally known more people that have had more troubles with their 22REs, than those with trouble prone 3VZEs. Anybody that I know that drives their 22RE hard, throws rods left and right, and blows head gasket after head gasket(I know a guy that's blown 5 HGs on his 22RE, last I checked). Despite popular belief, I've never known anyone personally that's had similar troubles with thier 3VZE. I've drove the piss out of mine for over 50,000 miles, and the stock head gasket didn't even let go 'till it had 218,000 miles(had 180,000 miles on it when I bought it). No rod bearing failures neither in all that time(it's an 88/over 22 years old BTW). I did crack a piston though with ~224,000 miles on it. But that just proves that I really do drive it hard. My story isn't that uncommon either. Many folks have had similar experiences with theirs.
I disagree win regards to the factory 22RE they go the distance, my stock was 220,000 had been hydrolocked and was still running good. I bought it a a project well wanted to work on it. Was a cheap short block that ended in rod problems. Was really cheap though. The engine I have now just blew the head gasket. I thought the low tox antifreeze was a good respnsible option for antifreeze. It wasn't and the coolant system rusted up. But there is also a post on here comparing the longevety of aftermarket headgasket to the stock. So could have just as easily been the aftermarket head gasket. I replaced it with a stock HG so we'll see.

The 3VZE has been given a bad reputation, and it's entirely undeserved. The 22RE is still spoken of as some kind of "golden child", and it really isn't. Not in my book atleast. It's given just as many people, if not more, just as many headaches, if not more.
the R series engines have a very long reliable history compared to the 3vze
That's just the way I see it. Sorry to ruffle your feathers. But I gots to calls it how it sees it.
Response in blue.

Last edited by muddpigg; 11-21-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
and about the toyota getting help on the 5vzfe. after the 3vze and not being able to figure out how to build a proper v6 they apparently had Yamaha help them design the Dual over head cam heads to get rid of the overheating and open up the top end. Yamaha has built engines with toyota for years like the 3sgte in the mr2 and im not sure but i think the 22re?? i learnt this from multiple people over the years and somewhere online like 2 years ago. i don't know 100% since i have no solid evidence from toyota so feal free to find out for sure and let me know lol
Yamaha has been contracted to design high performance DOHC heads for many of Toyota's engines starting in the late 60's. They've designed numerous DOHC heads for them since the first of such which appeared on the 9R in 1967. The 8RG didn't begin it's production untill 1969. They have not, however, been heavily involved with any other aspects of Toyota engine design. And can't be creditted for soley creating/designing any engine produced by the Toyota Motor Corporation. AFAIK.
9R
The 1.6 L (1587 cc) 9R was produced from 1967 through 1968.
It was essentially a 4R with a DOHC head designed by Yamaha. The cam lobes activated the valves directly via a bucket over shim arrangement. This same arrangement was used on the 2M, 8R-G, 10R, 18R-G, 2T-G, 4A-GE and 3T-GTE engines (all designed by Yamaha).
AND, the 5VZFE was NOT the first of the VZ engines to have DOHC heads designed by Yamaha. It was ACTUALLY the 1VZFE, 2VZFE, 3VZFE, and 4VZFE that had them FIRST. Also, the heads on the 5VZFE are nearly identical in design to those on the 3VZFE. The cams for the 3VZFE are even interchangeable with 5VZFE's. The ONLY VZ engine that DOESN'T have Yamaha DOHC heads is the 3VZE.
The low angle DOHC cylinder heads were designed by Yamaha Motor Company, and excelled in low-mid torque and power, making the VZ well-suited for various uses in cars, trucks, and SUVs.

The 3VZ-E is a 3.0 L (2958 cc) version and is the only SOHC VZ-series motor, and the only non-DOHC V6 Toyota has ever built.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VZ_engine

And NO, the heads on the 22RE were not designed by Yamaha. The last of the R series motors to have Yamaha heads was the 18RG, some of which did not even have them.
18R-G
The 2-valve DOHC 18R-G and its variations were produced from 1973 to 1982. While most 18R-Gs had a head designed and made by Yamaha, a very few had Toyota heads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

To sum it up, if it's a Toyota engine with DOHC heads they were most likely designed by Yamaha. Not all are, but even those that aren't will generally use parts supplied by Yamaha.
The Yamaha connection needs to be mentioned: Yamaha developed the Toyota 2000GT and was a partner of Toyota in the design of most successive G model heads. Most G engines/heads, including the 3SGE/3SGTE (now in it's 3rd generation), the Previa specific 2TZFE/Z (no relation to the old T engines), and the newest 2ZZGE engines were and are still designed and cast by Yamaha. The 4AGE and 2JZGE heads are proprietary Toyota designs and manufacture, although many components are still made and supplied by Yamaha.
http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...am_article.htm

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An R is far superior to a Vz... Sorry.

Truth is, if a 22RE had 150hp, and 180 ft/lbs torque we would not be having this conversation.

The VZ is a good engine, but a R is better, and more simpler (KISS). And part of why it's better is b/c of the power output. (make a RE get V6 #'s and it won't last half as long as a standard RE)

Anyone who says a VZ is better is just used to modern convenience.

The modern convenience of parts supplies. And the modern convenience of machine shops.

Try living in a 3rd world country where what engine you have is a matter of survival.

I know for a fact the VZ, as good as it is, would not get an invite from me.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 11-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am sensing trolling in this thread

i'm glad i got rid of my 3.0. never again 4cyl power and v8 fuel economy

i'm surprised theres no complaining about the 22r-e's fuel filter location

other than that, the 22r-e is very simple and easily maintained. the 3.0 is too much of a hassle to work on for the pitiful amount of power it puts out. sure a 3.0 might last a long time, but it will eat a lot more fuel over time than a 22re, while only putting out a marginal amount of power over it's smaller, more robust 4cyl. ask yourself if 600cc and added weight is worth the headache and money pit you'll be getting yourself into. valve shims are not fun. neither is performing microsurgery to replace a pcv valve (or removing the plenum). and yea i have gorilla hands, so changing spark plugs, or compression/leakdown tests were a bloody mess.

the timing chain issues you speak of aren't really issues if you properly maintain your 22r-e. and while the 'proper' way to change the chain/guides/tensioner/sprockets is to remove the head, it's not required. i really doubt 4crawler would write up a method to replace the timing components without removing the head/oil pan if he didn't feel it was pretty safe to do.

so for the original question, i would stick with the 22r-e and use the 3.0 as substrate for new coral to grow on
Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by fork
i'm surprised theres no complaining about the 22r-e's fuel filter location
I haven't played that card yet. Doesn't mean it isn't in my deck though.

Back to the debate....

My 3VZE went 218,000 miles with no engine work, PERIOD!

No blown head gaskets, no spun bearings, no burnt valves, no nothing. I know for a fact it never even had a valve adjustment in all that time, and may never have even had a new timing belt(can't say for sure on that though).

And like I've said on numerous occasions, I drive it like I stole it. I'm constantly running it WOT and at redline rpms, and have hit the rev limiter hundreds of times for sure. It took 38,000 miles of that kind of abuse, on top of an unknown amount of it during it's first 180,000 miles put on by the previous owners. All without giving an inch, all parts remaining functional.

3VZE a reliable engine? Describe "reliable" if that ain't it.

Who knows how far it would have gone on the stock head gaskets, bearings, and pistons/rings in the hands of a sane driver?

Troll? Who me?

Just keeping it real is all.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM

I haven't played that card yet. Doesn't mean it isn't in my deck though.

Back to the debate....

My 3VZE went 218,000 miles with no engine work, PERIOD!

No blown head gaskets, no spun bearings, no burnt valves, no nothing. I know for a fact it never even had a valve adjustment in all that time, and may never have even had a new timing belt(can't say for sure on that though).

And like I've said on numerous occasions, I drive it like I stole it. I'm constantly running it WOT and at redline rpms, and have hit the rev limiter hundreds of times for sure. It took 38,000 miles of that kind of abuse, on top of an unknown amount of it during it's first 180,000 miles put on by the previous owners. All without giving an inch, all parts remaining functional.

3VZE a reliable engine? Describe "reliable" if that ain't it.

Who knows how far it would have gone on the stock head gaskets, bearings, and pistons/rings in the hands of a sane driver?

Troll? Who me?

Just keeping it real is all.

Your making no sense first nothing has been done mechanically to your truck then you don't know what was mechanically done to your truck. For that matter you truck could very well have had the HG recall done on it and you wouldn't have known. Now your just making facts up.

X2 not liking the fuel filter location on the 22RE.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 AM

i never said the 3vz isn't a reliable engine. it's plenty reliable. reliably slow and annoying to work on.

and it seems like you got one of the few 3.0s that didn't implode. the one i owned blew its head gaskets, and got its recall job, before 96,000 miles. everyone i know has had trouble with theirs. i personally will never own another.

out of curiousity MudHippy, how many 22r-e's have you owned?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Your making no sense first nothing has been done mechanically to your truck then you don't know what was mechanically done to your truck. For that matter you truck could very well have had the HG recall done on it and you wouldn't have known. Now your just making facts up.
Making up facts? No. I'm afraid not.

A timing belt isn't considered mechanical engine work. It's part of the scheduled maintenance routine. It should be replaced after so many miles just like all the other drive belts, spark plugs, engine fluids, etc.. So no, it hadn't had any engine work. How well it was maintained before I purchased it is unknown.

I'm also not blindly guessing about the stock head gasket either. I have reason to believe it was the stock head gasket set based on it's design/construction when I removed it. They were definitely NOT the type of gaskets that were installed during the recall campaign. And I have pics to prove that fact.

If you're familiar with 3VZE head gasket design, the difference between those gaskets and current post-recall gaskets is obvious. Those are either the original asbestos containing head gaskets or were replaced with the non-asbestos graphite type which look identical. Since the change to graphite gaskets occured in 1989, merely one year later than my engine was produced, it's highly unlikely that they would have needed replaced with those that soon after it left the factory.

If you'd like more info on the variations of different head gaskets for the 3VZE I've got a thread on that topic too.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...askets-191393/

out of curiousity MudHippy, how many 22r-e's have you owned?
None. My brother had one. And that's how I first heard of the fuel filter thing.

Truthfully, that engine scares me. I've seen enough of them blow up in person that I would never be able to fully trust that one could handle the way I drive. I'm not nice to engines.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM

i will play

the 3vze isn't that bad of an engine and it is a little under rated, but saying a 22re is worse or a POS? really? nothing gets a bad name for no reason and the 3vze gets a bad name because 94% of them were dirt. the only thing it has over a 22re is 34hp and a little chrome v6 badge. the reason you always hear people praising the 22re is because it is that good.
basically

i never said the 3vz isn't a reliable engine. it's plenty reliable. reliably slow and annoying to work on.

and it seems like you got one of the few 3.0s that didn't implode. the one i owned blew its head gaskets, and got its recall job, before 96,000 miles. everyone i know has had trouble with theirs. i personally will never own another.

looks like majority is ruling for the 22re.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 AM

hey hippy, can i put that quote in post 16 in my sig?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 AM

to each his own. you usually see that argument applied against a 3vz and not a 22re
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Making up facts? No. I'm afraid not.

A timing belt isn't considered mechanical engine work. It's part of the scheduled maintenance routine. It should be replaced after so many miles just like all the other drive belts, spark plugs, engine fluids, etc.. So no, it hadn't had any engine work. How well it was maintained before I purchased it is unknown.

I'm also not blindly guessing about the stock head gasket either. I have reason to believe it was the stock head gasket set based on it's design/construction when I removed it. They were definitely NOT the type of gaskets that were installed during the recall campaign. And I have pics to prove that fact.

If you're familiar with 3VZE head gasket design, the difference between those gaskets and current post-recall gaskets is obvious. Those are either the original asbestos containing head gaskets or were replaced with the non-asbestos graphite type which look identical. Since the change to graphite gaskets occured in 1989, merely one year later than my engine was produced, it's highly unlikely that they would have needed replaced with those that soon after it left the factory.
Case in point, a factory replaced head gasket would have used stock head gasket set your whole argument on the longevity of your trucks engine is based on an unknown history. In the with that many miles it could just as easily been replaced twice. or been the really rare case an oddity case of high miles on a 3.0.
If you'd like more info on the variations of different head gaskets for the 3VZE I've got a thread on that topic too.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...askets-191393/

None. My brother had one. And that's how I first heard of the fuel filter thing.
From what you have posted about your brothers automotive skills I don't think he is a good case to base your argument on how bad 22REs are
Truthfully, that engine scares me. I've seen enough of them blow up in person that I would never be able to fully trust that one could handle the way I drive. I'm not nice to engines.
The only ones that I have ever seen or heard of blowing up were cases in which the owner knew what was coming and continued to abuse the motor to see it blow. I have seen 22REs seriously abused and take it like a champ over and over when properly maintained. But every abused piece of equipment has its limit
In blue
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
hey hippy, can i put that quote in post 16 in my sig?
Feel free. I'd actually be honored. Nobody's ever bothered to put one of my quotes in their sig.

Careful though. Might backfire on ya.

to each his own. you usually see that argument applied against a 3vz and not a 22re
This is true. Usually. I'm trying to make that less usual.

Here's a post from another thread where I gathered 12 other member's statements about the reality of the 3VZE "head gasket issue".
https://www.yotatech.com/51579342-post14.html
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM

ahh... it wouldnt fit with bbp's quote

its a toss up, i might have to switch it out.

i love bbp's quote though lol.

im freaking cold!! cant wait for the wood stove install.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM

thanks mudhippy for that info! i wasnt sure on the 22re but i knew it had to do something with the DOHC heads on the 5vzfe which is basically a 3vze block with DOHC heads lol funny how yamaha didnt do the heads on the 3vze and it had tons of problems, then they had them do the 5vzfe and all the sudden you get one of the best v6's lol! yamaha has been designing engines with toyota for ever, even if its just making DOHC heads. i really think that when toyota designed the 3vze they though (oh lets build it like a v6 22re with SOHC heads and try and re create the awesome engine) but then the messed up lol

tried4x2signN im not sure what you mean by "PM"? lol i can never understand you on here sometimes haha. and i agree if the 22re had that little extra power then nobody would think twice between these engines
Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM

preventative maintenance
Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM

ok thanks lol im still leaning

i also agree on the fuel filter location on the 22re, that was a pain to change, but now that ive done it, it wouldn't be as bad to do again.

oyah and about what you said tried4x2signN about living somewhere wear you cant always just pull into a local parts supplier and get what you need. i would not even think between 22re or 3vze, 22re without a second thought. say you live in africa and you have to pick a extended cab pickup and you get to choose between them. with the 3vze - cant handle being hot for long of you risk blowing the HG easier ( most engines cant ether but its much easie it seems with a 3vze?), timing belt needs to be done every 100k, water pumps fail more frequent ( failed 3 times on my parents 4runner in the whol 312k km's we owned it), worse mileage for if you are trying to travel far distances. where as the 22re- timing chain can usually last up to 350k km's untouched, 22re's head gasket consists of only a single HG and has better cooling to prevent a blow, water pump runs off a pulley and are known to last longer, better mileage. it really has more up sides as a engine that can take abuse. i would never abuse my 22re to the point of cutting it close to any limits and always keep on top of every bit o PM and gives me a great piece of mind. with the 4runner i feal worried like is it going to make it to the shop? when will the HG blow? im not driving rightnow until i can replace the water pump, thermostat, valvecover seals, cap and rotor wires and plugs. lol
Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i carry my sled and fourwheeler and i dont want to work the engine i have enough toyota parts to swap whatever i have had both the 3.0 and the 22re. the 3.0 had 247k on it and head gasket blew and spon rod bearings so i droped a 22re that sat for 5ish years and fired right up runging from a bottle and than that blew a head gasket and spun a bearing, so i droped a get by motor that had 324k on and it blew because it burned a little oil and it all went to the back and burned the pistons up i check it with my camera. i just want the longativity i think i might just rebuild a 22re because i have an all new timing kit, waterpump. i was think just rebuild the engine with new pistons and rings and rods and bearings and get a valve job with a cam does that sound good?

Quick Reply: 22re vs 3.0 v6 need help on rebuilding