Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Throttle body shaft seals / rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
22RE Throttle body shaft seals / rebuild

I’ve got my throttle body and IAC off for a thorough cleaning. I bought the LCE throttle body rebuild kit which includes the TB/IAC gaskets, new idle screw, and shaft seals.

https://www.lceperformance.com/22RE-...-p/1061048.htm

Problem is, I can’t figure out how to actually get to the shaft seals to replace them. There are retaining nuts and washers on both sides of the TB. Remove the throttle side, and the circular holder for the throttle cable comes off. Remove the TPS side, and it gives you access to the brass adapter that interfaces with the TPS. However, beyond that, both sides seem like they are pressed on to the shaft itself. With gentle manipulation, I can’t get either side to slide off to access what I presume are the shaft seals behind them. I can post some pictures if necessary.

Has anyone actually replaced the shaft seals? How did you get to them?

Old 03-17-2021, 03:30 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/22r...kdown.1231248/

This thread on MUD is really good breakdown of the throttle body.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/22r...kdown.1231248/

This thread on MUD is really good breakdown of the throttle body.
I knew I had seen this somewhere but couldn’t find it again. Thanks a bunch!

This thread shows removing the butterfly to access the seals, but it doesn’t seem like that is 100% necessary if you can get the ends off.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:10 AM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
You don't have to remove the butterfly to replace the seals. I made the mistake of removing the butterfly on my orig TB to replace the seals and ended up stripping the screws (they are super tight). I had to drill the screws out & rethread the shaft. A real nightmare. TB performed even worse after that so I bought a used TB. Took LCE seals out of my orig TB and put them in the used TB without removing the butterfly. The seals are not pressed on, a little manipulation and they come out.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jska
I knew I had seen this somewhere but couldn’t find it again. Thanks a bunch!

This thread shows removing the butterfly to access the seals, but it doesn’t seem like that is 100% necessary if you can get the ends off.
Originally Posted by Paul22RE
You don't have to remove the butterfly to replace the seals. I made the mistake of removing the butterfly on my orig TB to replace the seals and ended up stripping the screws (they are super tight). I had to drill the screws out & rethread the shaft. A real nightmare. TB performed even worse after that so I bought a used TB. Took LCE seals out of my orig TB and put them in the used TB without removing the butterfly. The seals are not pressed on, a little manipulation and they come out.

Well that is pretty cool, if you could change the seals without removing the butterfly.

jska - if you do this, post pics and info please. I have a throttle body on the bench right now that I have cleaned up and changing the seals would be nice to do, I did NOT want to remove that butterfly.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
I did NOT want to remove that butterfly.
Yeah, any stress on the shaft will mess up the tight tolerances of the butterfly and your hot idle will be even worse than it was.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Paul22RE
That's good to know. My problem isn't necessarily replacing the seals -- I can't even get to them. The throttle actuator with the spring, and the brass/gold bracket that interacts with the TPS, both seem pressed on. I was a little hesitant to bang them with a rubber mallet as I didn't want to bend anything. The brass TPS piece seems especially delicate. Pliars alone wouldn't get them off. Perhaps I need to hit them with a little penetrating lubricant. I'll try again tonight and report back.

Well that is pretty cool, if you could change the seals without removing the butterfly.

jska - if you do this, post pics and info please. I have a throttle body on the bench right now that I have cleaned up and changing the seals would be nice to do, I did NOT want to remove that butterfly.
Will do!
Old 03-20-2021, 09:02 AM

I took a look at the TB I have sitting on the bench. On the throttle cable side I don't see how you can get the spool part of that has the return spring wrapped around it.

Here is the photo, nut removed from shaft, but that spool part with spring did not want to come off.

@Paul22RE can you elaborate on how you got this part off?

Old 04-02-2021, 02:22 AM

Answering my own question here. I put my glasses on and looked closer at that return spring setup. Finally decided that it looks like it has to slide off that shaft. So I pried on it with a screwdriver and sure enough it popped loose. With that out of way you can use a small tool and get to the seal.

I haven't removed seals yet, going to order new ones first. Here is the spring setup removed.

The following users liked this post:
old87yota (04-04-2021)