Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re ran out of oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont let a little old valve cover be whippin on ya.. your not a little girl.. so quit acting like one.. your not going to messing thing up.. so man up and get the valve cover off.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
dont let a little old valve cover be whippin on ya.. your not a little girl.. so quit acting like one.. your not going to messing thing up.. so man up and get the valve cover off.
You must not even be reading the thread, so I am not even going to start on that comment.

Got the TIMING CHAIN COVER off and at the bottom opening of the oil pan I found this:

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

Wtf..lol
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by StangBanger
Wtf..lol
Yeah I have NO idea what it is. Hoping one of you do.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Reshoot m in focus,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
It kinda looks like the piston from the t-chain adjuster, but its too blurry to make 100% prediction.

You mentioned that you couldn't get the timing cover off and you couldn't get the valve cover off. There is a bolt that goes vertically under the cam pulley into the timing cover. You have to pull the valve cover to reach it otherwise you will crack the timing cover.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by fireman1559
if you have no oil and you think foul play it could be i had someone steal my valve core out of my new tires i drove home and it was aired up and not low got home at 430 me and my dad were leaving to go eat at 630 and he noticed my tire was flat so i stayed home took my tire off checked for holes with soapy water and no holes so i air up my tire and it sounded weird so i took alook at it and guess what no valve core someone took it i didnt have a valve stem cap it was missing too and two weeks later someone attempted to cut my brake lines first on the driver side and the about a month later on the passenger side they were crimped as if someone tried to cut them but didnt have strong enough to cut all the way through. so i am pretty sure someone would steal your oil
Hate to go off topic here but who's girlfriend where to riding around with?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Here are some clearer pics

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sure looks like the tensioner piston to me. Nothing else in there is that size. What does your tensioner look like (passenger side below the chain guide)?

Last edited by flyingbrass; 01-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 PM

the tension-er is intact. But there is a hole on the right side of it with nothing in it. So this is obviously where it belongs. But when I tried to see if it fit, it didn't fit.. ? so what is going on?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tensioner is supposed to be like this (brand new here w/o the chain):

If you can, post some pics of your timing set. I've never heard of a tensioner coming apart. What's the condition of your timing chain guides?

Oil pressure serves as a shock absorber on that chain tensioner piston. Maybe without that it got rattled to death?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Turned out it was the piston for the tensioner. Got everything on and together today. Went to turn it over and it cranks but I think its just the timing thats off. So I will set the timing tomorrow.

Also.... I might be doing a headgasket. I didnt pull the head when I did the chain, and I messed up the top part of it pretty bad. Its hard to put the cover back on with the head on and the oil pan on! So I will also tell you if I happen to have a milkshake in my motor tomorrow.. I will be praying tonight
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

So it will not start at all. It will crank over, but it won't catch. Also when it is cranking over it will backfire out of the exhaust. So I am not sure whats going on. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Timing (as in, cam timing).

You really want to do the headgasket. And resurface the head, and verify the block deck is perfect. Unless you really like replacing headgaskets.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Is it turning over really fast? Like it isn't building proper compression? Then I would say your timing is off.

If it is only popping through the exhaust and not the intake, I would venture to say that one or several exhaust valves are tweaked and not sealling.

A few things I would check are: a compression test, this will help determine if you are close to being in time, pull the valve cover and run the motor (by hand) through a few revolutions while watching the valve train to see if the valves are closing all the way, if they are binding, or if they are not timed in correspondence to TDC.

You had stated earlier in the thread that you were pulling the timing cover without pulling the head, I have to give you credit for attempting this. I would have eaten the $75 head gasket and not tried to force it. With that said, I'm assuming you pulled the distributor to get to the vertical bolt that goes from the head into the top of the timing cover. Did you mark the orientation of the distributor so you could replace it and stay close to being timed? It is very easy to end up being 180* out of time. I've also seen a lot of guys push the distributor back lined up, but then as it locks in to the cam gear end up being 1 tooth off.

As has been mention before, this motor does not take kindly to timing failures. Since you didn't do a full tear down to find out everything that is wrong you are shooting in the dark on a lot of questions. The head was never pulled so you don't know if any valves are shot. You mashed the timing cover back on so who knows if the head gasket is any good. You have unanswered variables and a truck that won't start, you need to narrow down what could be wrong in order to fix it.

There are a lot of people on here that can and will help, so far you don't seem to be taking advantage of it. We may give you a hard time, most of us have interesting senses of humor, but we won't steer you wrong on repairs for a yota.

Last edited by fierohink; 01-20-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by fierohink
Is it turning over really fast? Like it isn't building proper compression? Then I would say your timing is off.

If it is only popping through the exhaust and not the intake, I would venture to say that one or several exhaust valves are tweaked and not sealling.

A few things I would check are: a compression test, this will help determine if you are close to being in time, pull the valve cover and run the motor (by hand) through a few revolutions while watching the valve train to see if the valves are closing all the way, if they are binding, or if they are not timed in correspondence to TDC.

You had stated earlier in the thread that you were pulling the timing cover without pulling the head, I have to give you credit for attempting this. I would have eaten the $75 head gasket and not tried to force it. With that said, I'm assuming you pulled the distributor to get to the vertical bolt that goes from the head into the top of the timing cover. Did you mark the orientation of the distributor so you could replace it and stay close to being timed? It is very easy to end up being 180* out of time. I've also seen a lot of guys push the distributor back lined up, but then as it locks in to the cam gear end up being 1 tooth off.

As has been mention before, this motor does not take kindly to timing failures. Since you didn't do a full tear down to find out everything that is wrong you are shooting in the dark on a lot of questions. The head was never pulled so you don't know if any valves are shot. You mashed the timing cover back on so who knows if the head gasket is any good. You have unanswered variables and a truck that won't start, you need to narrow down what could be wrong in order to fix it.

There are a lot of people on here that can and will help, so far you don't seem to be taking advantage of it. We may give you a hard time, most of us have interesting senses of humor, but we won't steer you wrong on repairs for a yota.
There have been many people on here who do not pull the head when doing the timing chain cover. I need this motor to last me a couple months, because my friends dad has a 4.3 vortec motor he wants to swap in my truck. And I wasn't gonna dump money into unnecessary things when the motor is coming out 2 months. Does that make any sense to you?

If the headgasket failed, oh well. I took the chance, I will have to make due with my spare car if it did. If it didn't, looks like a spared some money (and time) that would have gone to the head gasket.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by fierohink

And what do you mean by that? I don't understand where that comment came from.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by dwnhiller93
There have been many people on here who do not pull the head when doing the timing chain cover. I need this motor to last me a couple months, because my friends dad has a 4.3 vortec motor he wants to swap in my truck. And I wasn't gonna dump money into unnecessary things when the motor is coming out 2 months. Does that make any sense to you?

If the headgasket failed, oh well. I took the chance, I will have to make due with my spare car if it did. If it didn't, looks like a spared some money (and time) that would have gone to the head gasket.
There's a lot of people on here and elsewhere who do a lot of things. It don't make it right or wrong.

Sounds like, in your plan, the risk was justifiable. If you sell the motor be sure to disclose.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:15 PM

you can pull the head on and off all day.. whats so hard about that... you'll probely burn through the money to buy a new head gasket.. on stuff like ciggerates a few cases of beer.. candy bars and that sort of stuff.. i would just pull it if you want to know what and where you are starting.. There's nothin like working on somthing and not know how to fix, it you dont know where the problem is coming from
Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
you can pull the head on and off all day.. whats so hard about that... you'll probely burn through the money to buy a new head gasket.. on stuff like ciggerates a few cases of beer.. candy bars and that sort of stuff.. i would just pull it if you want to know what and where you are starting.. There's nothin like working on somthing and not know how to fix, it you dont know where the problem is coming from
Pull the heads on and off all day? Umm dude. I doubt you have even rebuilt a motor. I know some guys that take a year and a half to rebuilt a motor. Seriously. For this post. I want you to start a thread of you pulling your heads off in a day.

Quick Reply: 22re ran out of oil