Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re misfire/stumble changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
BamaYota1..You have some great tips. I can usually figure out the major things but these little gremlins that can come up can be a bear and over my head. Great advise and that is a sharp truck in your avatar.
Thanks. My truck has been a labor of love. It has tempted me to run it into the lake, but with the help of the guys on this forum, I have learned quite a bit, and worked out most of the kinks.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BamaYota1
That would be your idle air control. They get hunker up and stick. You can take it apart and clean it with some carb cleaner. You will have to take the throttle body off. Get the gaskets for both at the parts house. Should be about 5.00 for both. Be careful not to spray cleaner onto tps or the little actuator motor for iacv.

Should cure both your problems.
I don't think this is it. I just cleaned my throttle body about 300 miles ago. Think it could be the ecu temp sensor? I broke the wire to one side today. So I found another clip that went to it and wired it up. The colors were different on the wires. I could of hooked it up backwards but if so I wouldn't think it would run at all? I know if unplugged I can't even get it to try to crank. I know what you mean about driving it into a lake! But I love my truck when it runs!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
My guess would be you need more water/coolant still. Sometimes it's just difficult to burp. But again just a guess.

For the sensor wire I don't think it matters the orientation, it is just a thermistor right You can find the plug pin out and wire color in the 1990-1995 4runner book.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 AM

Thermister? Is that a technical term? But yeah, I agree, wire orientation shouldn't matter.

When you cleaned the throttle body, do you take the iacv off the bottom, disassemble it and clean it?

It could need burped, but have you done anything to get air into system?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
yeah tech term sorry. Thermal resistor

I just went outside an replaced a fuel line and I undone some water hoses I got it all back together an I had a surging idle. I burped the cooling system an it went away.
The next bit confused/es me.
Before I was sometimes idling around 1700 Rpms. Now at random it kicks up to 1700 Rpms An surges
"Before..sometimes" & "Now at random" So at some point in the middle it was ok for awhile I guess,or was it always intermitten and never a definitivly solved issue?

Checked the wiring diagrams for the coolant temp sensor.
ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. (WATER TEMP.) SIGNAL SYSTEM
THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR (EFI WATER TEMP. SENSOR) DETECTS THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. AND HAS A
BUILT–IN THERMISTOR WITH A RESISTANCE WHICH VARIES ACCORDING TO THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. (WATER TEMP.)
THUS THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. (WATER TEMP.) IS INPUT IN THE FORM OF A CONTROL SIGNAL TO TERMINAL THW OF
THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECU).
G-L(Green-blue) goes to the computer and BR-B(Brown-black) is the shared ground E2. The lefthand side is ground with the retaining clip at the top.

But really thats just for reference or piece of mind it doesn't matter to the computer or sensor, in it's stock configuration. I guess someone could add one that cared at some point..

Terry is the guy with the pictures of the nasty/dirty temp sensor that was sending funny readings untill he pulled it out and cleaned it off. That might of been his "water temp sensor" aka dash guage, not the "engine coolant temp' sensor". They are essentialy the same device just the guage one uses the block for ground and the computer one shares E2 with the other sensors (likely for noise isolation). So they can have the same issue with sludge/scale builtup.

I understand these aren't always easy to access, and don't know where it is without looking. However if it's under the throttle body and you're going to have it off servicing the by passs stuff best to clean it while you're there just because you have a chance.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 AM

I had never heard the term thermistor, so you taught me something today.

Last edited by BamaYota1; 02-15-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM

As far as the before it was sometime idling around 1700 rpm and now it kicks up to 1700 Rpms and surges. It used to only kick up to 1700 Rpms when I'm driving an stop. If I stopped and it was idling 1700 Rpms then that's what it would stay at. Now I can be idling at 950 an it will kick up to 1700 an surge. However water in the coolant system could still defiantly be the problem. When replacing the fuel line that went to the bottom of the intake I undone both water line that went to the bottom of the intake. It's could be the engine cooling temp going out too. They aren't hard to get to. I can take it off without taking anything else off.
When I took the throttle body apart I cleaned everything that I could get apart on it. So I imagine that I cleaned it.
I'm going to do some more burping an see what i can come up with.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Yesterday I went out and was going to take it apart but when I removed the top radiator hose I realized that it had a ton of air in the system. The top hose was bone dry. After I let it heat up good then burped it. An it fixes my surging idle. I idled it down to 750 Rpms and I don't like how it sounds.. It sounds like it is missing or just not idled high enough..
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM

Awesome news! It's great when you can fix stuff without really doing anything.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BamaYota1
Awesome news! It's great when you can fix stuff without really doing anything.
Yeah so I went hunting today and got some bad results..
I got a cel and I was gonna get it checked on the way home.. But the rear deferential when to grinding and locked up on me.. So now I got to find a new rear end or have it rebuilt.. I'm thinking rebuilding and putting in lockers.. But if I can find a new one cheap enough I will put lockers in it.. What y'all think
Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Oh another question. How hard would it be for me rebuild it myself? It shouldn't need to be machined or pressed should it? I've never done a rear diff. On a truck but I did on a 4 wheeler and It seemed easy enough!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Went and got a new to me rear 3rd member today.. It's used but in beautiful condition. Put it on an everything seems to be in working order. I gotta get it some gas an put the tires back on. Oh and bama I am getting 20 mpg city mileage. Went 100 miles an 5 gallons while hunting just going through trails before the rear end gave out.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM

5 mpg gain is pretty good.

If there is one thing in the world that I am scared to death to work on, it is gears. I cringe at the thought of making a $400 mistake by not knowing what I am doing trying to set up a differential. I think you did the smart thing by replacing with a used set already set up, plus I'm sure you saved some coin.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Yeah I pulled it out an it seemed pretty complex for a 93. My 2002 trailblazer seemed to have a much simpler set of gears. I worry that a used set won't hold up even though they look brand new with no scaring or anything on them at all. I guess only time will tell. I probably should of got some with lockers.. But I can't afford that right now