Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Should've known you were up in the "BAY" area. Been there and have seen sub-freezing temps in Petaluma, along the Russian River on down all the way past Santa Cruz off down to Atascadero, so you must be new to the region.

Anyhow, as you admit, your AAV hasn't been fixed. This, in and of itself makes everything you've done a "band aid" you are happy accepting, willing to do so.

Since you're new here, to Yotatech, maybe you haven't yet learned it's possible to clean the AAV. I mean, if you know what you're dealing with and how to go about it... which apparently you don't.
Come on, Teflon tape on the idle-air bleed screw instead of replacing an O-ring? Get real. Now I know you're noob^2.

So, now, I don't normally take offense to things like this, but you can call me "buddy" the day after you learn humility, following two days after learning what you're talking about.

Last edited by abecedarian; 03-08-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Lighten up "buddy".
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Should've known you were up in the "BAY" area. Been there and have seen sub-freezing temps in Petaluma, along the Russian River on down all the way past Santa Cruz off down to Atascadero, so you must be new to the region.

Anyhow, as you admit, your AAV hasn't been fixed. This, in and of itself makes everything you've done a "band aid" you are happy accepting, willing to do so.

Since you're new here, to Yotatech, maybe you haven't yet learned it's possible to clean the AAV. I mean, if you know what you're dealing with and how to go about it... which apparently you don't.
Come on, Teflon tape on the idle-air bleed screw instead of replacing an O-ring? Get real. Now I know you're noob^2.

So, now, I don't normally take offense to things like this, but you can call me "buddy" the day after you learn humility, following two days after learning what you're talking about.
Man I dont know what your deal is. I wasn't the one that came into a thread you started and got super negative.
Iv done my research and I know the AAV can be cleaned. I did clean it, and made sure the coolant lines were clear. Still did not work right. This truck is a '86 and parts can get warn out over time. Cleaning things does not always fix them. The teflon tape idea actualy came from YotaTech, and it works great. Teflon tape will not get pinched and leak like a rubber O-ring can.
Iv also been living in the Bay Area sins I was 6, so no I am not new to the area.
Im a newb to trucks, but Im not a newb to forums and cars in general. Iv been working on and owning all my own cars sins I was 18. Iv built motors, track/race cars, and helped all my friends and family keep their cars running. Im very comfortable with what I do, and how I do it. I dont need to prove anything to anyone.
Im going to assume you had a bad day, and just felt like venting a bit. Hope your mood and attitude change, and your day takes a turn for the better.
Happy trails brother.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok Back on subject.
I have a 93 toy 4x4 22re
Having the low stumbling idle. Could someone tell me what the AAV is and were its located?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAV-Auxiliary Air Valve, located under the throttle body. When cold opens to bring your idle up, closes when warm. It has coolant lines attached. It is adjustable. I don't know how others are cleaning it, I did it without removing it by spraying penetrating oil in it and moving it with a small screwdriver. Mine was stuck and I couldn't get the warm idle set. Cleaned or lubed the AAV and then adjusted it and then I was able to adjust the idle.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by kcaudill
Ok Back on subject.
I have a 93 toy 4x4 22re
Having the low stumbling idle. Could someone tell me what the AAV is and were its located?

Thanks
This is the AAV. Not sure if its exactly the same on the '93 but it should be. Its right under your throttle body, above and behind the air con compressor.
Name:  6267347128_1ff7d9f0a9_z_zpsua8h1bi6.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  81.2 KB

So it could be going bad for a few resins.
1. vacuum leaks or clogs in the hoses that go to the intake manifold. One exits the front of the AAV and goes in under the throttle body, one at the back of the AAV and goes right under the cold start injector on the intake manifold.
2. Coolant lines are clogged and need to be cleaned out.
3. The physical mechanisom inside the AAV is broken or dirty and stuck. Its easy to take the black cap off of the front of the AAV by removing 4 screws and inspecting and cleaning it. Carb/throttle body cleaner.
4. The electrical connector at the back of the AAV is disconnected and or broken, or dirty and corroded.

Also try replacing your ECU temp sensor which is under and two the right of the throttle body. Its green on top. Its cheap so why not. If its bad or clogged the ECU cant read engine temp and there for can not adjust fuel correctly.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys, I know toy parts are king, but anyone have luck with autozone etc parts?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM

when I start the runner in the morning, it revs up at like 2000rpm, and when it comes to temp it drops to 900. is this standard>

I have a 1993 toyota 4runner 22r. FYI
I cant really find any information on it. just want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue