Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22RE Head Gasket and Timing Chain Replacement PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kudos to you mate on your engine. i have a question...could you take some pictures of the wiring harness connections under the EFI unit? i took apart mine to make a rock crawler and disconnected every wire since i took off the body and have some connectors that are the same color but have no idea what area they go(have 1 on top of EFI unit and one underneath the unit) and i bought the haynes book but i can seam to find it(may have bought the wrong book)and i cant find any pictures of the passenger side of the 22re engine so i can see where these wires go.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by all_terrain17
Oh yeah, I've read about many people having trouble finding the hidden allen bolt on the lower intake manifold - here it is for future reference

It runs through the thermostat housing. Took me a while to find too.
If you pull the injector rail off it's a little easier to get to. Might as well remove it anyway; I'd replace all the injector O-rings and the little gasket type deals they have while you've got the manifold off anywho. The first time I pulled my manifold off, I searched for 30 minutes trying to find what was holding the dang manifold to the head still... then after scraping off the caked on mud, there it was... then I broke two allen-head sockets trying to loosen it, lol.

and oh yeah, my motor looked like yours when I first got my truck

Originally Posted by spirtlanimilbus
change your oil filter to something besides a fram.... pleeeeeeease!!!!!!!

friends dont let friends use fram oil filters!!!!
What's wrong with Fram oil filters? I use the Tough Gard on mine every oil change, and have NEVER had any problems. They appear to have the anti-drainback valve, and I've had no oil pressure problems of any sort...

Edit: I just now realised this thread was started back in 06... and I just helped dig it up...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 06-28-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
If you pull the injector rail off it's a little easier to get to. Might as well remove it anyway; I'd replace all the injector O-rings and the little gasket type deals they have while you've got the manifold off anywho. The first time I pulled my manifold off, I searched for 30 minutes trying to find what was holding the dang manifold to the head still... then after scraping off the caked on mud, there it was... then I broke two allen-head sockets trying to loosen it, lol.

and oh yeah, my motor looked like yours when I first got my truck

What's wrong with Fram oil filters? I use the Tough Gard on mine every oil change, and have NEVER had any problems. They appear to have the anti-drainback valve, and I've had no oil pressure problems of any sort...

Edit: I just now realised this thread was started back in 06... and I just helped dig it up...

I've never seen that bolt before
Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM

here's a question...after a quick review in my Haynes manual and some brief research on here, i couldn't find the answer...so do i need to check my original timing chain cover for warpage before reinstalling it on the block? I'm pretty sure the material is made out of aluminum, so do i have to worry about or can i continue with no worries?..... I would've checked for wapage with a straight edge already, but being i dont have one (yet), i would rather be safe than sorry and wait until tommorrow when i can buy one instead of paying for a new timing cover/ resurfacing after the first teardown and partial rebuild

Last edited by Mr Priceless; 07-21-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Great Job man. I'm just coming in from doing my head gasket as well, your pictures have been a great help with the timing chain, keep up the good work. Tomorrow i should have mine finished!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet man!! i get that little tickle in my tummy when ever another 22re hits the road again i love it!! you did very well in this write up i should have been more indepth with mine but mah to late now 30k and counting lol the ticking is normal as said i have engnbldrs 268 cam in mine and boy she sounds like a deisel motor but i think my adj. screws are bad time to take the cover off and get her to full power again

yes miss adj. screws on the valves can take away power from not opening the valves all the way!! but good job can i give you a pat on the back!!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:02 PM

my head gasket went today. wish me luck. and thanks for all the info and pics this thread will help for sure
Old 10-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by kipres
my head gasket went today. wish me luck. and thanks for all the info and pics this thread will help for sure
haha mine went today
Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM

My head gasket went out today.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by country_wheeler
I spent last weekend redoing the timing cover gaskets and such. Just bought my 86 4runner and it leaked like a sun of a gun and there was silicone oozing out the bottom corner of the timing cover so I figured that was the main problem. Left the head and pan on. Went fairly smoothly for my first time. Then I discovered a big problem! Whoever did the timing before I bought it crumpled the head gasket!! It seems to be a good seal between the block and the head but the extension between the head and the timing cover was buggered up bad. I knew I wouldn't be able to save that so I cut it off as close to the block as I could and used lots of Permatex Ultra Blue. After I got it put together enough to fire up I noticed it leaking from one of the corners where I cut the head gasket. I'm going now to putts with it and see if it is still leaking (it most likely is) and if so I thought of taking the timing cover off again and cutting a cork gasket to mate up to the head gasket and again using a liberal amount of Permatex.
I really don't want to take the head off because it seems to be a good seal between the head and the block and I dont have very much money, I'm just finishing school and I'm broke for probably another month until I can get back to work and I know that if I start something like that there is going to be a million things go wrong and I just can't deal with that right now.

Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas?
I just went throught that same thing this last weekend.

When i put the TC back on i crumbled the Head gasket that overhangs under the head it. Needless to say it wouldn't seal and ended up breaking off, and i thought about using the permatex but opted for the NAPA head gasket kit ($100+ a new $8 TC gasket) and just busted out the full head gasket job. It sucked and it took me close 20 hours, but with a few good buddies and enough time we were triumphant. I recommend doing the full job and having the peice of mind and the oil free drive way to prove it. PLus when you are done you will know every thing about that engine!

oh and one more tip order a new bango bolt and copper crush washers from your dealer for when you have to take of the fuel delviery to the rail. Napa doesn't have the replacement washers. I finished my job last night and when i turned it over it was shooting gasoline across my garage.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

This is the best thread ever.
I walked out of work to go to lunch today and noticed antifreeze on the ground and dripping off the bell housing. Its been running kind of rough since it started getting kind of "cold" here in TN and sure enough right under # 3 & 4 exhaust ports was a small compression/water leak. 229k seems about right for an 88. After wasting the rest of the day at the office reading this thread I knocked out most of my first 22re head gasket tear down in one night. I know I've got tons of work ahead of me but if it weren't for resources like this, there is no telling how long this truck would sit in my garage. Kudos to YotaTech and its members. BTW, I let most of the air out of my front 285's and it was soooo much easier to work on. Here goes.....
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM

Just wanted to say that this thread has been a great help. I am currently into a head gasket / head replacement. This thread has prevented several uh-ohs on my part (though I'm sure I will have a few before I'm done). When my hg went I just decided to replace the head with a new one from enginbuilder and a 268 cam. I will have the old head reworked and put on the shelf for later. I hope this isn't like keeping old crutches. Anyway, kudos to all on this thread.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, I start mine tomorrow. Timing chain, head gasket, head bolts, timing cover, valve guides/seals.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Doing the whole timing chain cover guides tensioner and all that stuff today. damn..scraping off 20 year old gasket is not fun at all... hahahaha
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM

gonna be working on my 22re soon

so far ive only realy messed with a few things on this truck like the injectors alternator and hoses. so redoing all these gaskets is gonna be kinda new to me but i got alot of info from this form so ill let yall know what happens
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Just finished one

I just finished doing a timing chain and head gaslet on my 92 4wd with a 22re. It was quite a job. I finished it on 2-1-09. The pictures and links on this site were very helpful. It took me a couple of times to get the timing right when I got it all back together but its running fine now.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM

This thread has been amazingly helpful...I currently have the head, timing cover, and oil pan off and am in the process of prepping parts (i.e., new head, new timing cover) for installation. I read this thread before I started and am rereading it now before I proceed.

Many thanks to all who've contributed!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Starting mine next week

I have quite a bit of white smoke coming out at start up. Loosened up the rad cap and it's gone. Ordered a gasket kit from engnbldr and a 268 cam. I should have the parts on 3-5. I'm going to start tearing into it sometime early next week. This thread was GREAT!!! tons of info and the Pict really will help.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Finished

I finished my on Saturday. No issues the whole thing cane straight apart. Went together just as well. The wiring around the tran was fun!!! No leaks...so far although I do have a Check engine that comes on after running for a bit. Have not had a chance to run the codes. Had the dist off by 1 tooth gave it a small tweak and she fired right up. I owe the ease of this project to the info from everyone who posted. Thank you all and great post all_terrain17.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Hey folks,

I've read with great interest the great debate over FIPG vs. Permatex for this sort of rebuild...the primary issue seems to boil down to cost. I needed a suitable sealant and so, I turned to my old friend eBay, and purchased 4 tubes of Toyota FIPG for $25 including shipping.

All the Best!
DrPete

Quick Reply: 22RE Head Gasket and Timing Chain Replacement PICS