Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

2 In Lift With 35's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve--Just noticed you are in MN too! I am near Duluth.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

Figured You Were Near The Shore! I Go Stealhead And Brook Trout Fishing On The Brule And Temprance Rivers Every Spring And Fall.i Have 1 Trout Steam About 5 Mi. Away And Live On A Lake, But I Still Find Myself Traveling All Over To Find New Adventures!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

Oh, and to answer your other questions/comments--you can get new rear window tracks right from the dealer (assuming you are talking about rusted tracks in the rear tailgate). I think they are about $15 each. You'll want to pull the window out, pry the old tracks off, and put the new ones on. My new trackes did not come with the rubber gaskets and I didn't reuse them from the old one. I just used some black urethane window sealant to put them on. If you don't have a local salvage yard with parts, you likely won't find anything used. You might find someone parting one out and can get them shipped to you, but this is one of those few parts that can be purchased straight from the dealer at a good price.

Regarding 32" tires, a 1.5" inch lift "should" be enough if you do not plan or intend to do any cutting, hammering, or removing of mudflaps (illegal to be on the road without mudflaps in MN, and I have been pulled over before). But, 32" tires are somewhat "borderline" if they will absolutely fit or not. But if it were me, I would do it. At a minimum, assuming you are talking about 32x11.5R15 tires, you can probalby just get away with cranking up the torsion bars a hair.

Do you plan on any serious wheeling and twisting up of the axles? That's when you'd really need to think about clearance.

Have you considered a body lift? They are pretty easy to install and can be purchased in 1", 2", and 3". I've got a 2" on my '90 4Runner along with 4" IFS suspension lift (trailmaster up front, procomp in the rear).

I'm not aware of anyone making a soft top for the 2nd generation 4runner. I would be surprised if someone did make one, because there's no standard to it because it's a completely custom job. I just installed a stop top on my '86 4Runner, but that obviously is a different beast. You might be able to have a custom top built once you are done hacking the roof off (better get a roll bar or roll cage installed). Or, you *might* be able to start with a 1st generation top and customize it to fit.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by STEVE_R
Figured You Were Near The Shore! I Go Stealhead And Brook Trout Fishing On The Brule And Temprance Rivers Every Spring And Fall.i Have 1 Trout Steam About 5 Mi. Away And Live On A Lake, But I Still Find Myself Traveling All Over To Find New Adventures!
I know what you mean. I live on a lake too, and I find myself going to other lakes to fish. If I do fish my own lake, I end up going to the other side of it. The fish never seem to hang out near my dock.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

I Do Plan On Welding In A Roll Bar, Once I Can Aford A Welder Or Know Someone Who Has One. I Havent Welded Since High School, But I Dont Think It Would Take Long To Get Back. I Was Planning On Doing A Hummer Style Fast Back Top. I Know Material Is Not That Expensive, At Least From What I've Seen On Some Websites.i Know I Dont Want To Seal Off The Cab, I Think The Open Air Thing Would Be Nice In The Summer, Plus I Could Pull The A/c Compressor And Gain A Few More Ponies And Mileage. I Was Just On Craigs List And I Found Someone Who Was Selling 6 Bolt Toyota/chevy Rims With 31x10.5x15 All Terrain Tires, Not Sure On Brand, But Rims Lookes Good. All For $400.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM

Yes, open air is nice which is why I just bought an '86 4runner. I love my '90 4Runner for the comfort factor, but it didn't solve my desire for a convertible. I almost bought a celica (for fuel economy purposes for daily driving) but decided instead to go back to a generation 1 4runner and just get a regular celica.

You may want to consider getting a 1st generation 4runner factory roll bar. I know people have installed them in a 2nd generation, though I have not personally done it myself. I've actually got a spare roll bar from a 4runner I parted out a few years ago and intended to put it in my '90, but I never got around to it.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

do you still have plans for that roll bar, or would you sell it. how much modifying would it need to put in?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM

how do you guys list vehicles that you own in the post?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 PM

No, I don't have any plans at this point and would let it go. It's been sitting under a lean-to on my garage for the passed 3 years and at this point I'm never going to get around to it. I don't know exactly what people are doing to install these, but I do believe it has to be trimmed down a little. I think the older 4runners had a taller interior due to the basic fiberglass top. The 2G 4Runner has that molded hard board with cloth on it and I think it's dropped a bit lower resulting in less space.

You may want to try a search on this forum. I could have sworn I saw a post about it within the last month or so. FYI--it may have been a different forum though (pirate4x4, 4x4wire, etc...).

If you are ever over this way, PM me (better yet E-mail me) and I can get you directions if you want to pick up the roll bar.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why Are You Capitalizing Every Word? Its Annoying.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by STEVE_R
how do you guys list vehicles that you own in the post?
click on the "Helpful Links" drop-down menu on the blue bar towards the top of the window, then select "Edit Signature." The signature is the stuff you see that people list in their posts such as their rig(s), website, sayings and phrases, etc....
Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Why Are You Capitalizing Every Word? Its Annoying.
Lying to people that your 4Runner is stock is annoying too, but who's counting. Your sig:

1990 Toyota 4Runner 22RE 5spd
Rear Aussie Locker [click here for the review] *Nokian Vativa A/T tires* OME suspension* some other stuff, but I tell people its stock
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 PM

yeah i just realized my caps lock was on, sorry! shawn, how much for roll bar?

Last edited by STEVE_R; 07-18-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 AM

Steve--I sent you a PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnF
Lying to people that your 4Runner is stock is annoying too, but who's counting.
Adding one locker and some ome springs, you're still closer to the stock category than modified.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnF
Yes, open air is nice which is why I just bought an '86 4runner. I love my '90 4Runner for the comfort factor, but it didn't solve my desire for a convertible. I almost bought a celica (for fuel economy purposes for daily driving) but decided instead to go back to a generation 1 4runner and just get a regular celica.

You may want to consider getting a 1st generation 4runner factory roll bar. I know people have installed them in a 2nd generation, though I have not personally done it myself. I've actually got a spare roll bar from a 4runner I parted out a few years ago and intended to put it in my '90, but I never got around to it.
Here is a picture of my 90 4runner with a 1st gen rollbar installed it was not really to hard to do at all.

The first thing you need to know is that the only way to get that thing inside is through the rear doors it will not fit any other way. You also have to roll it upside down to get it in and then roll it into place but first you need to cut 1 1/4(may want to try an inch a get a more snug fit and if that don't work then go for the 1 1/4 I never tryed wish sometimes I did to see if I could have got it to fit a bit tighter) off all four cornors then reweld the footings back on to the rollbar. You will need to drill holes for the footing to mount to the floor and I would suggest that like I did mine you make 4 plates the same size as the footings and drill them to match so that way you can place them on the underside of the body and get a lot more added strengh and not worry about the bolts ripping thruogh the wheel wells or flooring of the bed area.

Total cost was
$35 factory 1st gen rollbar(used of course)
A couple hours of measuring , cutting , drilling , fitting and rewelding
Haveing a place to fit fire exstingishers , trail gear and first aid kit
PRICELESS

As for the 35 x 12.5's I have 4" of suspention lift and still had to do some pinch weld trimming and have 3.75" of back spacing on the rims to try and push the tires out a bit to help with the rubbing issue's. I will be doing 1 1/2 ball joint spacers next to try and help out the full lock minimal rubbing I still get.

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a rollbar in my 3rd gen....the DECREASE in cargo space was not worth it IMO...and I can't use my cargo cover leaving all my stuff exposed to thieves...

my two cents
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM

I but some 33x12.5's onto my truck (86 SR-5 Pick-up) for a test fit.

Wouldnt take much with a sawz-all to get them to fit without rubbing

1.5 BJ spacers in front and 2" blocks in back would be perfect without cutting.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM

im gona run 37's or 38's on my 85 with about 3" of lift....

though then again i also have no front clip fenders bed or hood so...