Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st post - need some help (new engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post - need some help (new engine)

I joined here hoping I can get some good advice from you guys. Here's my situation. I bought a 95 4Runner last october for a good price ($3k and 150k miles) and it was running great. It needed a new radiator, so I ordered one and replaced it with all the hoses. Ran great. 5spd and the 3.0 v6. I had this same truck about 4 years back but had to sell it.

I was driving back to work and it started ticking. I pulled over and it was coming from the engine it's self. I had to leave town for work the next day so I dropped it off at a mechanic right down the road and got a ride back to work. The mechanic called me the next day and said the engine was completely dry - it ran out of oil completely - obviously needs to be rebuilt now because it was running dry until I could actually hear it. No oil pressure light came on - nothing.

I do almost all of my own work and I'm not an idiot. I changed the oil less then 2 weeks before that and yes I put the drain plug back in. I would have noticed if I had an oil leak - on the driveway but there was not even a drop.
I wasn't burning oil - at least I couldn't see any smoke at all from the exhaust - black or white.

Now, what I need help with - besides how this could have happened (where the oil could have gone) is should I rebuild the engine, or buy a new engine? I've even thought about putting in a chevy 327, as I've heard the stock tranny will bolt right up.

It's good to join on here - and any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Jordan
Old 04-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Have you tried adding oil and running it? My sister drove w/out enough oil in her Mazda car a few years back, she had a light..but we added oil and its been running fine. It too was making aweful noises prior to adding oil.

I find it hard to beleive that it was dry....mabye the dipstick was dry, but you had enough oil to have pressure...or you would have gotten a light....
Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 PM

Yeah, Itoo have a hard time believing that you ran it right dry. If you had I think you would have heard some really nasty noises other then a ticking.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 PM

I haven't - I was so pissed off I just towed it back to the house when I got home. The shop (which has a good reputation) told me that it was for sure a spun rod bearing. It was more of a clunking relative to the rpm then a slight tick.

That's a good point - I haven't even pulled the oil plug. I guess I just planned on a new engine or rebuilding... Maybe tomorrow I'll get out and take a look. Thanks.

Edit: I did check the dipstick and it was totally dry - nothing at all.

Last edited by jordanmg; 04-16-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My runner did something similar. Engine locked up from no/not enough oil. Except mine was not ticking, no oil light or nothing. I bought a motor from www.orientengine.com. They'll treat you right. I did get to hear the loud clunk right before the motor died though.

Last edited by cootees; 04-16-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
My runner did something similar. Engine locked up from no/not enough oil. Except mine was not ticking, no oil light or nothing. I bought a motor from www.orientengine.com. They'll treat you right. I did get to hear the loud clunk right before the motor died though.
Did you ever find out why the light never came on?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, I didn't want to fool with it nor did I have the downtime to do so. I gave the truck to my mechanic, bought the motor and had it sent to him. Since then I have been checking my fluids religously though. So far so good.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Toyotas are pretty hearty. Fill it up keeping an eye on the dipstick. See how much it takes to fill it. Maybe the shop was wrong. Do you have a history with them? Start by eliminating the cheap possabilities, and work up. I really hope you don't need a rebuild/new, but if you end up throwing in a 327, we are all going to want to see it.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:26 PM

My runner did something similar. Engine locked up from no/not enough oil. Except mine was not ticking, no oil light or nothing.

Thats the problem with pressure lights as opposed to low oil lights. You can have slim to no oil and have enough pressure not to trip a light, but low enough to kill an engine.

This is one reason I am glad I have a pressure gauge. I am always telling my wife to check them, and to remember where they are normally.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Nope, I didn't want to fool with it nor did I have the downtime to do so. I gave the truck to my mechanic, bought the motor and had it sent to him. Since then I have been checking my fluids religously though. So far so good.
So what am I looking at rought estimate for a stock replacement? Looks like $2k for an engine, although I've seen them for about $1,300. I'll probably put it in myself; but out of curiousity how many hours of labor did they get you for?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
Toyotas are pretty hearty. Fill it up keeping an eye on the dipstick. See how much it takes to fill it. Maybe the shop was wrong. Do you have a history with them? Start by eliminating the cheap possabilities, and work up. I really hope you don't need a rebuild/new, but if you end up throwing in a 327, we are all going to want to see it.
Hey you're in Portland, want to help me put it in?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jordanmg
So what am I looking at rought estimate for a stock replacement? Looks like $2k for an engine, although I've seen them for about $1,300. I'll probably put it in myself; but out of curiousity how many hours of labor did they get you for?
Well, actually the mechanic, I knew him personally so he just gave me a deal. He works fast and doesn't fool around and usually works 12-14 hours/day(dunno if he did this day or not). I know he had my truck ready by noon on the following day that he got the motor. He just charged me $400, he didn't go into an hourly rate with me.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 PM

I did check the dipstick and it was totally dry - nothing at all.[/QUOTE]

A dry dipstick can only reveal that you are about 2 quarts low. Have you tried putting more in to see where you are at?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 PM

I did check the dipstick and it was totally dry - nothing at all.
Originally Posted by Bobakazi
A dry dipstick can only reveal that you are about 2 quarts low. Have you tried putting more in to see where you are at?
Nope - I'm going to buy some oil and pull the plug tomorrow... cross my fingers and hope that at least a liter comes out...
Old 04-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Nope - I'm going to buy some oil and pull the plug tomorrow... cross my fingers and hope that at least a liter comes out...
Why not just add some until you register, no need to waste oil.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:01 PM

I didn't realize you payed that much for a new engine. That's some crazy amount man. I would have never thaught it would cost that much for a stock engine.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM

(agree with Nala) Yeah, especially since you changed it 2 weeks ago. I would not even worry about the worst case scenario with estimates until you you figure out the easy stuff.

Hey you're in Portland, want to help me put it in?
BTW, if I have some time I could probably help out if the worst comes true. I have been extremely busy with 2 part time jobs and remodeling the house though, so I have no idea when. Keep us posted when you figure it out.

Last edited by Bobakazi; 04-16-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
I didn't realize you payed that much for a new engine. That's some crazy amount man. I would have never thaught it would cost that much for a stock engine.
I had mine put in at the dealer for $4100 installed new out of the crate. Maybe it was just because the culprit was the head gasket that blew and wrecked my motor, and they sucked all they could out of the recall. I paid nothing. (That was at 169,000. I swear, no domestic would replace at that mileage) Toyotas rule!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Yeah...the same thing happened to me....

...I went on a long trip (about 300 miles) and at about 150, I heard the same ticking sound...sounded like a starter or something, it lasted maybe 10 minutes then "pop"....the truck just died on the highway. It wouldn't start. Checked the oil, and bone dry.

I remember my oil pressure reading really low, but I was a bone head then and I didn't really know anything, and I didn't too much think about it. I never got a "light" or anything, and the temp gauge was perfect.

Heck if I know where it went. Filled it back up with oil and it knocked really bad, even getting it started was very hard. I couldn't believe it went dry...the only thing I could think of was my oil pump, or a leak.

Got a new engine after that.

Last edited by Saint_Berzerker; 04-16-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Alright, well today I picked up 6 quarts of oil and started filling up. The dipstick was dry when I started. 3 and 2/3 of a quart later it's "full". I charged up the battery and started it up. It's clunking really hard - and I have white smoke now. The smoke is probably because the car has been sitting a while and probably condensation has built up in the gas tank. I took a video with my cell phone (all I had on me) so maybe I will post tomorrow.

I found a crate 3VZ-E for $1,600 local with a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty - is this a good price? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Quick Reply: 1st post - need some help (new engine)