Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st gen cup holders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my runner with a plastic cup holder screwed into the dash.. It was fun cleaning coffee stains/residue off the heater controls, and radio.. needless to say, I took that off immediately

I take a big sip out of my can of pop, then it balances between the backrest and seat-belt clip (front to back) and myself and the armrest laterally..

It works great, except for when I get out of my seat and pour 2/3 a can of orange pop on my seat..

Would still much rather prefer a cup holder.. that fancy SR5 map pocket would be pretty swell too
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Meet the "Wedgie"

Probably the best $5 mod I've ever done to my 4Runner! It sits in the crack between the seat and the console.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I was thinking is make making something that will fit down in the small square change holding spot on the front of the console, then make a round cupped top to it. Or maybe like a piece of 2x4 trimmed to fit snug in the square, then just screwing a cup holder onto the top of it. It would not be perminant that way either. Just an idea.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I found a cup holder thingy from an autoparts store that sits inside that map pocket on the drivers door. Works better than nothing.
Originally Posted by RustBucket
Meet the "Wedgie"

Probably the best $5 mod I've ever done to my 4Runner! It sits in the crack between the seat and the console.
That's what I have!!! It's by far the best one I've tried!! Holds my little flashlight and fuse box cover too.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM

i wish i had me one of them der darn map pockets
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

Well This is one of those "Well I think its time to build half doors with built in Cup holders and trail map pockets" times lol.My factor in dash cup holder SUCKS and its in a 2nd gen. The dam thing falls out all the time.

Last edited by nintythree4runner; 10-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM

well i got the half doors, but no cup holders
time to bust 'em out and rework them.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM

lol i need to get some old doors and build half doors out of them but i dont know what design i wanna do since i got 2nd gen 4runner 4Doors
Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by nintythree4runner
lol i need to get some old doors and build half doors out of them but i dont know what design i wanna do since i got 2nd gen 4runner 4Doors

theres some pretty sick 4 doors with 4 half doors, search for it, i dont remember where it is but i know theres quite a few out there

/hijack
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM

ya i was thinking about somthing like the coloring in the picture

Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Sadly, those locations won't work for the 1st-gen 4runner with the wing windows.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM

take the wing windows out
Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
I got a custom built dual cup holder on e bay. It was designed for a 4 Runner so I modified it (reduced height) for my truck.
thats badass. nice setup
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by nintythree4runner
take the wing windows out
I bought a set of cup holders with the idea of hanging them in the wing window channel -- no bueno.

Thought about taking out the wing windows, but I'd have to upgrade to power windows as well since the window crank would bop the cup holder.

Not a bad idea, just a bit more work.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I am not the only one. I have tried many items over the past years with my 89 and now my 84. The best was this:
in my 89. I had it adjusted and wedged in so that I only bumped it when I had a big drink in it and I put it in reverse. However, my dog would break one a month when he would jump into the front seat and hitting it in reverse was annoying.
For my 84, I found some like the one above, but they clamped down and I had it clamped to the empty pocket, riding side saddle into the driver side. It worked, but whenever my girlfriend drove, she moved the seat forward and would bend it...damn girlfriends(oops, fiance now) and dogs.
My standby has always been the window hanger units stuck in the glove box...long reach though.

The boat ones like this:

were on my list, but there just isn't a good place for them.

My fiance thinks I am crazy about cupholders, and I probably am, but I have the solution, and I am working on it now..
I am taking one of these that I got from the pick and pull:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-01...Q5fAccessories
and I am turning it around and bolting it to the top of my existing arm rest.
The one I picked up has a broken piece that I didn't notice so I am going back tomorrow to get another one, but I sized it up and it will work.
Apparently, these break off on explorers all of the time, so they are a hot item and either damaged or gone from most of the explorers that I looked at today. However, the part that breaks is the hinge part and that's coming off anyway.

I will post pics when I am done. Does anyone know the best way to paint something like this? My interior is doo doo brown and beige.

Last edited by AustinTaco; 10-20-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 AM

I like the boat ones. How about on the door panel somewhere? They fold up when not in use I think.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RiNkY
Maps must have been thinner back in the 80's, as ya sure as hell can't fit much of a map in that tiny thin slot.

I guess there are some cup holders that slot into the Window opening that you can get from Car Part stores. I just lift the top of the arm rest / console and wedge my drink in there with a rag until I find em.
x2 for the window opening slot cup holder thingys and x2 for putting your cup in the center consul! personally, i like the center consul better cuz it's always there and i can use it for other things too! depending on how much other stuff you have in there, you can wedge it in nice and tight (that's what she said!)! only downside is that you lose your armrest.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 AM

I bought a tuffy security console, and it came with two cup holders. Of course, I was looking for a center console. I guess it would be overkill to buy the console just because you want the cup holders!

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-95-02...6-12-wide.aspx
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
just put a keg behind your seat and sling the tap hose over your shoulder like you would a camelbak....

go buy some of those window opening cup holders and screw them onto your door panels - you might even be able to get really inventive and put removable mounts similar to a CB handset mounting tab.

there's always the 'ole beer helmet which comes with TWO cupholders!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I went back to the pick-n-pull and found an arm rest with a built in cupholder. It is one from an Exploder. I felt lucky to find one since most of them had been swiped up already, or when I thought I found a good one, it was already cracked.
I tried to find another one, in case anybody else wanted to try it, but it was slim pickings.
I should have it mounted by Monday, and I will post up with pics.

Quick Reply: 1st gen cup holders?