86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1st gen 4rnr with sleeper...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
I think I'd worry about the extra weight of a pop-up tent on top of the 4Runner, as least on my 2nd gen.
You would be surprised at the number of Toyotas with roof top tents on them.
Not only are they more weather proof than a ground tent, they are not heavy when the weight is distributed via a crossbar setup like I use.

Here are a ton of them.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f172...-tents-139672/

No worries about the weight.
Most stock racks can handle 160 lb when driving down the road.
When parked, a rack system with the crossbars sharing the load, your roof can handle around 600 lb.

My setup with me in it I have the figures around here somewhere and on other forums, and it is very stable.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That 4runner in the article is soo damn sweeeeet..
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I found my info.
128 lb Maggiolina AirLand medium
220 lb Me ('eh, working on that )
010 lb sheets, down comforter
015 lb duffel bag full of clothes
025 lb Camping Labs awning
-------
398 lb total give or take
Your dynamic load is when going down the road, and most stock racks can handle 165.
Most roof top tents are way under that.

When parked, that is your static load, and as seen above, the roof can handle much more.

I would really like to see someone here take a 1st gen 4Runner, add the crossbars on the shell, and add a tent to it.

I have seen them mounted to the Canback setups before like in the article above, but seeing one done on a stock shell would be cool.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM

They seem like they cost a lot. And its canvas, that stuff rots if it cannot dry out and if its on the roof all the time its going to get dank in there.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM

here's an idea i've been toying with for awhile now.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18550
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM

whats so bad about a tent that rolls up into bag? its small like 10lbs and sets up real fast.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM

The point of the RTT is to give you level ground with no rocks, logs, etc. in the way. Plus it keeps you out of the water if it's raining. There is nothing wrong with a normal tent, but for people who spend a lot of time camping, the ease of use and the benefits of a RTT become more prevalent.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM

yeah true just seemed silly to me since i go off into the woods with just a tent, sleeping bag, knife, hatchet, a fishing string with a hook, rain gear, and matches. That is camping to me, the RTT seems like so unexciting. Its fun to make a snow shelter when its cold out and start fires in the poring rain.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by spanish-road
They seem like they cost a lot. And its canvas, that stuff rots if it cannot dry out and if its on the roof all the time its going to get dank in there.
Most roof top tents are indeed canvas, and no, they do not rot.
This is a newer type of canvas, and you can put them away wet and air them out later.

Also they are mich more waterproof than a nylon tent, and they breathe better too.

These are used on expeditions worldwide in extreme heat, snow, downpours, you name it.
You stay dry in these.

Here are some facts on them.
http://autohomeus.com/rooftop/choose.php

http://autohomeus.com/info/faq.php
Our Fabric
The fabric used in Maggiolina tents is
the finest engineered tenting available

Maggiolina Grey Fabric

* Breathability allows the respiration of moisture that would otherwise condense inside the tent, causing discomfort and the potential for mildew.
* Waterproof—no treatment is necessary, the fabric easily sheds water and the tent may be packed for travel—even in rainy or snowy conditions.
* Fade resistance is assured because the color is built-in before the fabric is woven.
* Wear, crease and abrasion resistance is assured, the fabric will not shrink or expand in extremes of temperature.
* The fabric will function perfectly in extremes—from 22 below zero (-30° C) to 160° (70° C).
* The high quality finish offers a smooth touch with maximum sound and light blocking capabilities
Nothing wrong with regular tent camping, I did it for 50 years.
But being up off the ground like Hayes's mentioned, and a level place with no rocks poking you, and no puddles of rain to mess with make for a more enjoyable experience, at least this is what I have found since owning mine.

Nothing wrong with your method either heading out with the bare essentials.
I did it for years.
But many of us also treat camping as a family vacation for a week or more, and to be comfortable, you need to bring along a heck of a lot more than what you have mentioned.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM

oh cool i didn't know that they treat it, since we had a old army canvas tent and that thing was old but smelled good. I see your point it is nice to get off the ground, and would make it very comfortable and enjoyable to go camping.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM

I don't understand why those tents are so expensive

It's a platform that folds with a pvc cover and a pop up tent? the cheap ones are small and still cost $1500!!! You could just build a platform for $50 buy a nice tent for $250 and toss it up there......just seems outrageous for something that costs very little to make and is not even that hard to design.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by spanish-road
oh cool i didn't know that they treat it, since we had a old army canvas tent and that thing was old but smelled good. I see your point it is nice to get off the ground, and would make it very comfortable and enjoyable to go camping.
Actually my canvas is not treated.
Here is what mine is made of:
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/magg_technical.html
The advantages of Dralon:
Breathable: Dralon does not retain heat or humidity that form condensation, making it particularly resistant to mildew.
Waterproof: Waterproofing treatment is unecessary because the fibres shed, not retain water, allowing you to fold the tents even when wet.
Stability: Dralon fibres are pre-dyed before the fabric is woven, making it fade resistant, even under burning desert sun.
Strength: Strong weft fibres help create a tear and crease resistant fabric, that will not shrink or expand even in extreme temperature fluctuations.
Temperature: The fabric is guaranteed for use in extremes of temperature, ranging from -30° C upto 70° C.
Maintenance: Construction of Dralons’ special/unique fabrics ensures a long maintenance free life.
The high quality of Dralon: Fabrics ensure the tents are more soundproof and less transparent agaist light than traditional materials, yet still feel soft to the touch.
Easy to maintain: No need of particular treatments.
Mine is like a 5 star hotel

Originally Posted by PirateMcgee
I don't understand why those tents are so expensive

It's a platform that folds with a pvc cover and a pop up tent? the cheap ones are small and still cost $1500!!! You could just build a platform for $50 buy a nice tent for $250 and toss it up there......just seems outrageous for something that costs very little to make and is not even that hard to design.
The folding ones start out cheaper around $800 depending on the brand.
The fiberglass topped ones like I have are more expensive naturally since fiberglass is used for the shell, and they have a crankup system like a tent trailer.
Some of the ones made by the company I use have one that pops up at the end with gas struts.

But this is how mine opens, and in under a minute too.

[YOUTUBE]rHd77e7PbIE[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM

well at the roof top tent and the other pitch a tent is about the same cost that includes the sleeping bag, pads, backpack. This would be real nice gear that is in rei or other high end outdoor shops.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM

what about going in between the topper and the "bed" like use some flat stock that fits in there and then run tubing up and over the fiberglass. like a lumber or ladder rack for a pickup
Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 PM

In my dads old ford we would take two sheets of plywood and pitch a tent on top of it when we went fishing on rivers .

thinking of this?

Last edited by spanish-road; 04-16-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by DeepSeaSnake
what about going in between the topper and the "bed" like use some flat stock that fits in there and then run tubing up and over the fiberglass. like a lumber or ladder rack for a pickup
Kind of like this?
Here is a pic that was sent to the AutoHome blog.
This way the roof top tent can be used with both the hardtop and a soft top.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZT0UWJhXYr...gg+Gibson1.jpg
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
You would be surprised at the number of Toyotas with roof top tents on them.
Not only are they more weather proof than a ground tent, they are not heavy when the weight is distributed via a crossbar setup like I use.

Here are a ton of them.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f172...-tents-139672/

No worries about the weight.
Most stock racks can handle 160 lb when driving down the road.
When parked, a rack system with the crossbars sharing the load, your roof can handle around 600 lb.

My setup with me in it I have the figures around here somewhere and on other forums, and it is very stable.
Its not the weight on the structure, its the weight above the COG. My truck is already too top-heavy for my liking.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Rooftop Tent on 1st Gen 4runner

I will be putting a roof top tent on my 88 4runner this spring for the camping season. I will let you guys know how it works out. I am still trying to figure out how much weight the hard top can hold, it needs to be able to hold 140lb tent blankets and pillows, my wife, daughter, and myself. I plan on getting a good size tent from ARB. If anyone here finds out the max load of the hard top please let me know. I don't want to do an exo cage for this.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sean7187
I will be putting a roof top tent on my 88 4runner this spring for the camping season. I will let you guys know how it works out. I am still trying to figure out how much weight the hard top can hold, it needs to be able to hold 140lb tent blankets and pillows, my wife, daughter, and myself. I plan on getting a good size tent from ARB. If anyone here finds out the max load of the hard top please let me know. I don't want to do an exo cage for this.
Bringing this back from the dead. Just wondering if you ended up going through with this. I've got an '88 myself I'd like to put a RTT on.