Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 4x4 Ext Cab P/U sagging rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 4x4 Ext Cab P/U sagging rear end

Hey there, I have a 1993 4x4 Ext Cab P/U with a sagging rear end. I saw these Trailmaster R1536 add a leaf for Toyota that say they give you a 2" lift, anyone have any experience with these? They cost about $60.00.
I also saw fabtech, procomp and skyjacker add a leafs, anyone use any of these?
Thanks

ps: its really irritating having a saggy rear end....
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM

I had Saggy rear on my truck! I just removed the bumper! Wahlaah! no more saggy rear!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 PM

I'd rather not

Am still looking for feedback on the helper springs....I'd rather not remove the bumper, I like the stock look of my truck with the 31" tires. The only exception is the backup lights, hella driving and fog lights.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 PM

I have the Trailmaster aal (add-a-leaf) on mine, although my regular leafs (leaves?) are not saggy. The aal will raise your truck, but consider replacing your stock leafs first. They are just another form of a spring, and will lose it's capability over time. The aal is probably the cheapest way to go, except for shackles. But the aal will raise your weight capacity, which makes for a rougher ride. I recommend replacing what you've got first, and go from there. Cheap solution? Rear shackles.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get entire new packs - ditch the saggy stock springs while you're at it. Yeah it'll cost you but it'll be done right.

Stock is 3 springs plus an overload. I have all relatively new springs on my truck (about 2 years old) and I have 4 springs plus an overload. Yeah they hit bumps a little harder, but the rear end rights just slightly higher than the front, which makes the trucks stance look way better (like a truck should look like - poised and ready for you to put some weight in the bed) and the truck rides awesome when loaded (doesn't sag at all, and the tires have something to push up against when they hit a bump so it rides much nicer). There are lots of options out their for Springs, your local suspension or offroad shop could probably look for something for you. I myself would look in the direction of OME to see what they have.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 AM

CoedNaked...what brand of rear springs do you have-just stock with AAL?
Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks

coednaked,
I had to haul a load of ceramic tile for my latest project and the rear end way way saggy. Probably the best bet is to replace the rear springs and go from there, to find out if i need something to carry a heavier load. I would be interested in knowing if you purchased stock springs or what you did when you put the 4 + 1 overoad.
Thanks

Last edited by ReneB64; 06-13-2006 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-13-2006, 05:23 PM

My springs are not stock with an AAL - they are entire replacement packs with 4 springs/overlaod instead of the stock 3/overload. I'm not sure "Which brand" they are, but I do know they were installed by the previous owner whom I know, who had them done at a shop known for it's quality work here in BC. If I had to throw a guess out there I'd say they might be OME Heavy duty springs as I think OME does make springs for my truck in heavy duty and medium duty configurations and I know the shop they were installed at retails those springs but I could be wrong. They are not as wide as the stock springs but maybe a little thicker if that's fair to say. They seem to flex alright but they have great load carrying capacity and the truck rides nice and level and even with a fridge or lots of camping/fishing gear it barely squats and just rides a little nicer since the tires have some weight to push up against. I think another key is shocks - I have Bilstein HD shocks which are great at reducing body roll and making the trucks handlng much tighter. It also helps control heavier loads much better.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 06-13-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM

if you do decide to go w/add leafs, i know where you can get the Trailmaster 2" or 3" for $45/pr
Old 06-14-2006, 11:02 AM

I agree with Coed.. IMO AAL's are bad.. I dont like what they do to stock leaves. AAL are built to shape entire spring packs, so when you flex the AAL is much stonger causing unatural bending of your stock springs.

Go with new springs, or air shocks....
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Hmm, am thinking of replacing the the springs with new because I have about 230,000 on it, lots of camping\fishing\hunting\home improvement trips on the vehicle. I was thinking AAL would be easy quick fix, but I guess its not necessarily the best. I just need to find the right set of springs. I looked at some on the net, and most have 4 " lift, I just want to gain about 2" to bring the rear level, and increase my load capacity. Even with no weight in my bed, the leaf springs are level, no beau to them. So, they are probably worn out.....

thanks prerunner for the offer....

Last edited by ReneB64; 06-14-2006 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add into
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 PM

Something to consider is if you buy 2" springs they will be 2" above stock, not your current hegiht, so if you have sagged 2" you will get 4" from your current height. Look into OME, they claim a better ride than OEM, but I am not sure about the height of the spring.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 PM

If you go to this webpage (not promoting the site - just for reference they exist - www.drivetrain.com/emuleafspring.html ), if you scroll down you will find this:

"OME18 Rear Toyota Extra Cab Medium Duty
$249.59

OME181 Rear Toyota Extra Cab Heavy Duty
$299.89"

Perhaps contact Old Man EMU and ask them about the ride level of the 181's but I'd imagine they'd just replace the stock springs.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 PM

Thats a pretty good price for springs...

If you wheel a bunch I would go with the Mediums, for flex reason.. If you dont wheel a bunch and carry weight a lot I would the HD...

I currently have HD Alcans in my P/U.. I am trying to sell them and get lighter duty ones from Allpro.. If I need extra carry capacity I am going to make a custom mount for air shocks (maily to and from camp/trail)....

just my .02
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM

AH641D - when you get a bunch of camping/fishing gear under your canopy and your car topper on the roof racks on top of the canopy, the Heavy duty springs flex descently I'd say. No weight though and you'll be hopping over rocks instead of flexing. The last lake I went to there is about 200 yards the last stretch of the lake before the campsite where you must be in 4 lo as it is pretty rough. A few big rocks jutting out of the ground, and some major potholes and such, and the springs work well at keeping the tires on the ground as long as there is weight in the back. I think if you're going to be carrying weight regularly the HD springs are the way to go - if not much weight and you appreciate a better ride then the medium springs will work. But I still like the versatility and the firmer, better control the heavy duty springs offer with the loads combined with the slightly firmer Bilstein shocks. It's worth the rear end hopping when she's unloaded.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I agree.. but for me the softer springs will be much better. I dont like the extreme bounce I can get when rock crawling, but at anything other than super slow stuff they are acceptable. When they were under my runner (which is why they are HD) they were great. They flexed a good 3-4" more than they do under my P/U. I also now drive a reg cab, probally 1,000lbs less than design weight, which is my main issue, 1,000lbs is a bit much to carry extra on the trail :-)
Old 06-15-2006, 12:38 AM

I am looking into the same thing. I have been going back and forth about buying an AAL or replacement springs. I know that OME, Downey, and NWOR all make replacement springs. I was reading up about the OME ones and the fact that they are slightly flat where the U-Bolt connect and a couple other reasons, but they seem to be expensive.

What's an average price going to be to buy a set of replacement springs?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 05prerunner
if you do decide to go w/add leafs, i know where you can get the Trailmaster 2" or 3" for $45/pr
I would like a set of 2" add a leaf's for $45 a pair. Where can I get them? My truck is a daily driver/work horse not an off roader. Plus my daughter is going to college in the fall so I can't afford $200-$500 for a set of springs right now.

Right now I have helpers on there. Although they help when it is loaded, they don't do much for it's stance unloaded.

Thanks in advance for the tip.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:41 AM

Part of the decision

If I recall, even when the 1993 ext cab truck was new, the rear was a bit saggy, so if I go with the OME Medium Duty, I wonder if it will still be saggy. I certainly dont want a 4" lift, I want to retain the stock (level) look of the truck. I dont carry home improvement supplies that often, but I hauled some ceramic tile for a recent project, and I was really dragging my ass, on the positive side, the engine was pretty strong hauling it up to the mountains (for my cabin).
Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran add-a-leafs for about 3 years. they helped for the first one then just added a ton of axle wrap.

I finnally broke down and put new OME packs on.

Quick Reply: 1993 4x4 Ext Cab P/U sagging rear end