Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1993 3vze drivability issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 3vze drivability issue

So I just purchased a pretty clean (no rust. Really. lmao) 93 runner with a 3vze and r150 with 199k and I really love it! So I'm new to 3vz (my other 2nd gen runner is a 90 with a 5vzfe) I've known about the big problems with these engines. But I'm fairly confident in this engine. Anyways, so I have a few things going on and I have searched here and on other forums and have found one or the other but not both of these problems occurring at the same time. Both of these occur at operating temp, or start to when it gets close to temp, runs good when it's cold. So first one is the hesitation/misfire/bucking on light acceleration at about 1200ish rpm- 2000 rpm. The other is when I'm slowing down, I push in the clutch and the rpm drops to 500rpm and kind of shudders to and from 250-500 for a couple of seconds then either corrects itself to 800rpm and stays there or the engine dies or almost dies. It doesn't do this every time I hit the brakes but does it quite often though. So the things I've checked/replaced so far are: Dizzy cap and rotor (had some corrosion/carbon on the contacts), the TPS (I'm 90% sure I have it adjusted correctly, but I will double check this weekend) tightened the terminals for the harness of the tps. Checked the spark plug wires for any signs of cracking. Pulled the egr valve off, no clogging or diaphragm rotten, holds vacuum. Checked for vacuum leaks, i.e. with brakleen lol. Didn't find anything. So when I replaced the tps, I pulled the throttle body off to adjust the tps. Replaced the gasket and torqued the bolts to spec. Noticed a slight change, very very minimal. Also before I replaced the tps, I unplugged the old one and the engine ran like a champ! Significant power difference too! So I definitely thought it was the tps. But after replacing, it helped a little, but still jerks and rpm drops when I push in the clutch and hit the brakes. I pulled a few plugs and looked ok. The left (driver's side) front plug was actually loose lmao! Made a slight tick, which I thought was a noisy cam follower almost go away lol! But didn't change the symptoms. The only things I have not tested are the o2 sensor and the fuel filter/pressure. The filter itself looks newer. But I'm not sure how old it actually is. I didn't get any service records with the truck. So it's anybody's guess. The o2 looks like it has been replaced, it isn't quite as flaky (rust) as the rest of the exhaust around it. But I'm not dismissing this either from what I've read it seems like the ECM doesn't like old o2s. I also checked the intake tubing between the TB and the MAF, no cracking. I also pulled the bottom plate of the MAF housing to see if the pin had backed out, it didn't. I haven't ohmed out the MAF yet and I thing someone has been inside of it before because there is blue silicone around the edge of the plastic cover that goes ontop of the maf. I also noticed if I blip the throttle you can hear a slight miss/sputter for like half a second then itll rev up fine under no load. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction or if I may have missed anything. Thanks in advance!