Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1988 4runner bogs under loads

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostincx
Sorry to hear about your head gasket, I dread having to do that job. I finished my coolant temp sensor, intake mani gasket, tb gasket, Pcv valve, O2 sensor, New distributor, New coil.... Ugh. Runs really good, smooth idle and revs up nice all the way until it's fully warm now. I went out for a drive and after a few miles, back with the same bogging/cutting out rev limiter problem, this time around 1600~ rpm. I'm starting to think the whole time there has been junk in the gas tank, clogging the fuel pump pickup... I haven't dropped the tank yet or tested my fuel pressure, just speculating. If it's just sitting in the driveway it revs up all day long, no codes stored in the ecu, but when it cuts out the engine light does flash just nothing gets stored.
if youve had ethanol gas siting in it for 4+ months without driving id drain that ˟˟˟˟ and check for junk in the tank. If im remembering right youre also working on a first gen maybe second gen 4runner in mine there is an access port under the passenger rear seat to the fuel pump. If the tanks rusty id clean it change filter and add some seafoam. Hope its something simple for you dont want to hear your head gasket blown too lol
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM

I have a 94 ext cab pickup so I'll have to drop the tank completely. I plan on just replacing it and the pump to rule that out. I'm not running a crossover pipe which is a big head gasket contributor, both sides dump down and merge under the truck.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM

I have a 94 ext cab pickup so I'll have to drop the tank completely. I plan on just replacing it and the pump to rule that out. I'm not running a crossover pipe which is a big head gasket contributor, both sides dump down and merge under the truck.
ahh well hope it all goes smooth. I. Waiting on tax return to get a lift kit, wiring to install my aux lights, and most importantly replace the headgasket maybe injectors too just to insure i have new ones.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM

I believe I found my problem, I was reading another thread from a few years ago and the guys problems seemed identical to mine. He said after many guesses it ended up being a faulty ignitor. Well I purchased a new one and when my truck was running I started loosening the 2 screws that hold it to the bracket, my truck started cutting out then died just by loosening the mounting screws I hadn't touched the plug. I put the new one in and went for a drive maybe 2 miles around my house and it seems like I may have got it worked out! I know how these trucks are though, give her a part or two and she'll be happy for a couple days then will start acting up again... Hopefully not but I'll kelp y'all posted.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
If it doesn't fix it, it would be corroded up terminals in the connector, or the wires are falling apart at the plug. The new part has nice shiny new metal, so the connection would be better. I'd guess the old part has a bad solder joint on the board where the terminal pins go into the pcv board based on your description.

On some older machines, it'd ground though the housing, but almost positive Toyota has a dedicated ground wire to it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I believe I found my problem, I was reading another thread from a few years ago and the guys problems seemed identical to mine. He said after many guesses it ended up being a faulty ignitor. Well I purchased a new one and when my truck was running I started loosening the 2 screws that hold it to the bracket, my truck started cutting out then died just by loosening the mounting screws I hadn't touched the plug. I put the new one in and went for a drive maybe 2 miles around my house and it seems like I may have got it worked out! I know how these trucks are though, give her a part or two and she'll be happy for a couple days then will start acting up again... Hopefully not but I'll kelp y'all posted.
the coil and ignitor ground via the body, that's why it cut out. Make sure you have clean metal showing where they attach.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Back to the drawing board, took it out again today and within the first few minutes its cutting out then leaves me with a 1900~ rpm rev limiter/fuel cut. Im able to baby it back home if i keep it under that rpm window, luckily i live rural and there isnt too much as far as traffic goes lol. This thing is about to go into the shop, ive replaced every logical part that could be doing this, minus the ECU.