Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 toyota 22r 4wd (need help ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber Carb

Originally Posted by natedawgg94
hey checked the plug today and it is a little chalky white not bad just a touch.
Then I would go up one size and drive a good while and re-check and stop when you get a touch of tan color and you will be good , then after you get the plugs right you can go up or down a size and really dial it in if you want to play around with it a bit that is .
I would get 2 or 3 sets of jets for it at a time (richer)(I had a total of eight sets the last one I set up hehe and only needed to change idle jet one size so had 3 sets of them - synchronus dbl pump 2 bbl ) then bring the jet size up (pair) one size at a at a time and drive for a good while and then re-check , you may have to go a few sizes but maybe just one or two (last one like I said I had to go 6 sizes and had one set richer than that one ) , and once you get it dialed in like that drive it a while and then go one more up and see what the plugs look like and how it runs , if they just go a shade darker then try that - if you want high rpm mixture to be peak then run a bit fat(rich)(a shade darker tan) for your around the town driving - if you want it pulling harder low rpm then leave it a nice light tan color .
When you get the time let me know how it works out

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-17-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM

i wish i knew what jets i had in it now so i could order some mains and idle/air to play with. if you get a chance go on ebay and type in k746 that's the conversion kit the guy used. let me know if you have any idea if not i'll pick up the manual on these carbs.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM

truck runs decent now just lags when you get in the throttle a little heavy. hope to have the exhaust leak fixed this weekend then i'll adjust the timing a little. what's a good window on the timing advance. now running with vacuum advance hooked up hitting 12* and manual calls for 13*.......
Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Weber Carb

truck runs decent now just lags when you get in the throttle a little heavy. hope to have the exhaust leak fixed this weekend then i'll adjust the timing a little. what's a good window on the timing advance. now running with vacuum advance hooked up hitting 12* and manual calls for 13*.......
That could very well be your jet size , it is too lean unless there is a motor/control problem .
If it is the carb and running that lean then thats not healthy for high rpm
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 AM

i agree i'll be ordering jets as son as possible...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Is the timing supposed to be set to 0*? I set mine to 8 I think
Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by turboyota1
Is the timing supposed to be set to 0*? I set mine to 8 I think
the timing is set at 0* with vacuum removed and capped off. after vacuum advance is hooked back up it rolls to 13* or real close to that.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Timing / Weber Carb

[Quote] k called the weber tech guys and they told me i have 2 idle jets primary 55 secondary 47.5 and 2 main jets primary is 135 and secondary 147.5. i only have 1 adjustment screw is this possible to have 2 idle jets? thanks again for all the help.

Check this link :

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Service Manual Online , the first list is for your 4 banger , second if you scroll down is the 3.0 motor .

From what I read here the Base Timing for 4 cyl is 5* BTDC :

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../5distribu.pdf

To answer your jet quote above :
If this a progressive 2bbl then there is something else you need to adj and may be causing your hestitation on hard throttle - there is a cam that drives and opens your secondary's and determines when the secondary's start opening - when do your secondary's start opening ???? Right away or about 1/2 throttle ????
but I think I would get the carb jetted properly first although you could bring the secondary's in a little later and solve some of that possibly , you really need to get the manual for that carb .

Forget about idle jets for now , you actually have a slightly fat(rich) jet in there now and I think it is good to leave it there for now .
I would get the main and secondary jets bumped up together (one size up for each , each time and check plugs)
When engine kinda wanes a bit under hard acceleration it is possible 2 things are going on , given your plug color I can with some assurance say you are lean and that is the problem , so order 3 sizes (2 at the least ) larger each for primary and secondary and to be honest I would put the second larger jet size in for each when you get them and then tell me how the plugs look and it behaves , but I think the jet size is going to need to go up a few or more sizes .
Order your Primary / Secondary jets ( up 3 sizes for each) and lets go from there
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM

on the timing thing i was going by mine since it is a carbed truck. On the jets the plan is to take the top off the carb this weekend and make sure the numbers are what they said on the P an S main jets and order after that. i'll keep my idle jets for now. will the idle not change after swapping mains?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM

Weber Carb

on the timing thing i was going by mine since it is a carbed truck. On the jets the plan is to take the top off the carb this weekend and make sure the numbers are what they said on the P an S main jets and order after that. i'll keep my idle jets for now. will the idle not change after swapping mains?
Main jet change should not affect your idle jet or circuit at all , and for the rest sounds like a good plan , check the sizes and find out where you are now
You may as well order a gasket for the top of the carb too , if you are real careful breaking loose the old one you may be able to re-use it , if you kinda mess up the other then clean gasket off carefully (soft bodys on those carbs for the most part) and put the new one on and just don't torque the crap outta the nuts/bolts/screws - light even torque between the screws and that one will be okay until your done
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM

i agree on the gasket carb isn't that old so should be easy to get off hopefully
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Weber Carb

i agree on the gasket carb isn't that old so should be easy to get off hopefully
Was that carb made by Weber for your application/motor ?
And if not what motor (how many cubic inches) ?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 PM

k here's the deal from this afternoon but first i'll answer your ? yes it is the conversion from www.WeberCarbsDirect.com it's the k746-34 kit. the idle jets are mounted on outside of the carb. one on each side and the #'s match what i wasgiven earlier that i posted. the carb was matched to a bone stock motor. but i have since added a open exhaust and she breathes a lot better.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Weber Carb

k here's the deal from this afternoon but first i'll answer your ? yes it is the conversion from www.WeberCarbsDirect.com it's the k746-34 kit. the idle jets are mounted on outside of the carb. one on each side and the #'s match what i wasgiven earlier that i posted. the carb was matched to a bone stock motor. but i have since added a open exhaust and she breathes a lot better.
Did the motor run good with this car previously ? Or have you had the acceleration problems all along ?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 AM

i've only had this truck for a few weeks. when i got it timing was way off (whoever rebuilt the motor used a cheap timing chain set) replaced that with one from toyota and reused the steel guides. had no egr when bought so had to figure that junk out finally got it all straightened out. header came with truck but was not installed. installed it had to fab some exhaust because of rust some replaced rusted section with some 2". have small leak caused by crappy design and failure to cut the junk off and weld in a v-band connection. currently running little lean so getting new main jets soon and also installing a wideband bung so i can check the air/fuel from time to time and at WOT. hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:27 AM

Weber Carb

i've only had this truck for a few weeks. when i got it timing was way off (whoever rebuilt the motor used a cheap timing chain set) replaced that with one from toyota and reused the steel guides. had no egr when bought so had to figure that junk out finally got it all straightened out. header came with truck but was not installed. installed it had to fab some exhaust because of rust some replaced rusted section with some 2". have small leak caused by crappy design and failure to cut the junk off and weld in a v-band connection. currently running little lean so getting new main jets soon and also installing a wideband bung so i can check the air/fuel from time to time and at WOT. hope this helps.
Well the Temp sensor will help alot
If you re-installed EGR I think I would make sure the ported vacumn you used is right for it , I would have left it off unless you had to have for emissions test.
I may have already said this but make sure your distributor is correctly installed (use FSM) - spark timing is right , since you have done the timing belt that would eliminate that as long as you got that in there well .
And last I would double check your vave clearences if you have not to make sure thay are right considering you have not had the trk. long , no telling what the other guy could have done .
Other than that I would be real sure that you do not have any vacumn leaks anywhere , get a can of carb cleaner and spray motor intake gasket and carb base gasket , vacumn connections etc with it and listen for idle fluctuations .
I would Jet up the carb after doing all that unless of course you have done all that since you have had the truck .
I would imagine all the plugs are the same color and if so then the carb more than likely needs to be jetted up more and possibly secondary gears adj. to bring secondary's in later as well but lets get the color of the plugs right first for a carbuerated motor.
I am going to look up a pic of that carb and see if I can see the gear drive on it for the secondary , you may find yourself adj.ing that gear drive to bring the secondary's in a bit later , open the throttle on your carb from under the hood and tell me when your secondary starts to open .

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-19-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM

Weber Carb

Ok looked at the pic of the carb on the Weber site , can't really see too much , can't tell if the secondary's have gear drive that is adjustable but am pretty sure it will have that and or linkage that is adjustable for secondary throttle plate opening adjustment .
I will look for some other breakdowns on it , looks like it has the electric choke and other than that pretty simple (as they usually are )
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
Ok looked at the pic of the carb on the Weber site , can't really see too much , can't tell if the secondary's have gear drive that is adjustable but am pretty sure it will have that and or linkage that is adjustable for secondary throttle plate opening adjustment .
I will look for some other breakdowns on it , looks like it has the electric choke and other than that pretty simple (as they usually are )
k on the secondary there is a adjustment for the plate but it doesn't make it come in later or sooner only adjusts the plate position at idle. (so far that i can see) k talked to the weber tech guy today and he hooked me up with 2 new sets for the mains and idle. like 40 bucks not bad huh. shipped today should be here monday or tuesday. we'll see from there. thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Weber Carb

k on the secondary there is a adjustment for the plate but it doesn't make it come in later or sooner only adjusts the plate position at idle. (so far that i can see) k talked to the weber tech guy today and he hooked me up with 2 new sets for the mains and idle. like 40 bucks not bad huh. shipped today should be here monday or tuesday. we'll see from there. thanks
Cool , I can't imagine a spread bore with secondary open at idle , I wish I could see that thing in my hand
Generally if that were the case it would be a even bore and synchronous but you do have 2 idle jets , if you slowly open the throttle , do both throttle plates move together or is there a lag in the secondary opening ?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM

there is a lag of bout half to 3/4 throttle but it is not adjustable like that. you want me to take some pics to send you over the weekend? if so pm me a email address and what you want pics of.

Quick Reply: 1987 toyota 22r 4wd (need help ASAP)