Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 4Runner SR5 5spd - It begins.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Great work! I was going to try the same thing at first but my OEM one was actually in still pretty good shape so I wanted to keep it as a backup and didn't want to cut the frame out because it was sewn around it. Glad to know it works and now I'll hunt around the yards for just the metal frame in case I might need it.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much gas do you guys need to give your truck when starting it? Recently, I've been having trouble when doing a cold start. The engine cranks and cranks and I have to give it gas. Often it doesn't start the first or second time, but I am always able to get it to start and I have no problem restarting it when the engine is warm. I've read up a little and I guess this could be the EFI? Should I have to give the truck gas at all when I'm starting it?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Shouldn't have to really give it gas, no. Mine starts on 4th revolution or so with NO gas pedal assistance. You got's LOTS o new tings in there... So I would not think fuel pump or filter or such.. BUT, ......... Cold start injector or Cold Start injector time switch? YEP, that could be a problemo at times with cold starts. There are other factors as well... But I'd start there... Have someone turn it over cold and listen with stethoscope to that CSI. No clicky, that's a problem. It should pulse like an injector(clickity-clickity-clickity) HAHA. You KWIMean, lol.

Start there.... and just curious... did you set your throttle stop plate before adjusting the TPS, etc.?(did you install a new one? Can't remember... sorry, lol... NVMindddddd if not, )
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 PM

PS> FSM slaps down quite a few things for cold start issues. (NOT being a smart ass like "GOOGLE, derrrrrr".... I HATE THAT, wouldn't go there... But just throwing it out).
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> FSM slaps down quite a few things for cold start issues. (NOT being a smart ass like "GOOGLE, derrrrrr".... I HATE THAT, wouldn't go there... But just throwing it out).
Yea I'm going to dive into the FSM this weekend and see what I can figure out. Definitely something is up because I have never really been able to get it to start without giving it at least some gas. I just figured that was normal. I had a '87 FJ60 and I always had to give it gas (and use the manual choke, which obviously the 4runners do not have) to get it to start.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ezucker
Yea I'm going to dive into the FSM this weekend and see what I can figure out. Definitely something is up because I have never really been able to get it to start without giving it at least some gas. I just figured that was normal. I had a '87 FJ60 and I always had to give it gas (and use the manual choke, which obviously the 4runners do not have) to get it to start.
Yeah..... it's important to INCLUDE the "Factory Facts" in the IMMEDIATE beginning of fishing for this stuff.... And one thing you know, I'm sure, is; That the Rail is hit with full pressure when turning it over. Obviously the CSI wont be sharing in the 'process' once you've been running around.... And from what you said, you're starting up just fine when it's warm(right?).

With full pressure to the rail, THEY CAN take a few revolutions to start.... But PLAIN AND SIMPLE;

If timing is set, spark is hot, mechanically sound, fuel pressure's good.... CSI is firing.............POP, you should have 'combustion' within 3-5 revolutions of the starter gear/flywheel. The Distributor has to begin to turn and signal the ignitor for the injectors to fire, compression needs to build up that initial second or so, but the COIL is hot on turn one and if CSI is good to go... It shouldn't take long.

You had the CSI cleaned, right? My GUESS, not looking at the books, is that it will mention the CSI in there, somewhere in the 'tree-breakdown'.... But, it will also mention the CSI Time switch. I'm not sure what the more common symptom of the failure of the CSI time switch is... I just know they RARELY go bad, but CAN do so.

First, easiest test would be to pull the connector on the CSI time switch and measure that resistance number against an accurate coolant temp. If it's dead or way off, then you know where to start. Also free is listening to the CSI itself. Sounds like an injector for a few seconds... Just need a buddy/significant other/kiddo to turn it over for ya while you listen with stethoscope. Pulling the CSI to fire it off into a jar is another test, obviously... You'll find it.

My issues are hot start and a miss that just wont say "HERE I AM" for me hahah. So lil hard to start SHOULD be an easier find

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-31-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM

So, this is probably one of the smallest mods one can do to a Yota, but I thought I'd share anyway. I didn't like how the inside of the center console looked (exposed screws and plastic), so I lined it with that stuff that you line drawers with that you can buy at the hardware store. Mine is a cork liner. Have a look:

Before:

After:

Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM

EZ, .... now c'mon.... I can tell the Dog did that mod... he's right there.... Yet you took all the credit? hahahahaha.

Jk, obviously... Nice..... probably stop some rattling noise with stuff's in there, too. I've seen people line them with that padding that comes inside mp3 carriers, etc.? It's kinda gunmetal gray colored foam/HD padding? Looks good too...

How you been, man?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Very fancy cork...are you putting in hardwood floors and a chandelier next?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zuckdan
Very fancy cork...are you putting in hardwood floors and a chandelier next?
Chandelier, No. Disco ball, maybe?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't even own a Gen1....but maybe one day!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish they came with new FJ wheels and that big of tires stock!

Nice work ezucker. I like the restoration aspect! They are truly a classic vehicle and will never be replicated or duplicated, not to mention the fact the amount of them out there in repairable shape (by a home mechanic) is growing weaker with every day and every rusty one that gets gutted and sent to a junk yard.

Props to you for keeping one alive!

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 09-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 PM

Dude, .... You're a ranger? OH, and they really do have streets of oak? WOW! hahaha... Obviously just messin... that is SO COOL, man.. Great find. I've seen them a couple times, Cast larger ones, at Toyota... and I NEVER bought them.... NOW? NEVER see them..only new ones

EZ..... Can't wait for more, man... WOOT!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Bump! What's new?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM

Been too busy with work and living in a city to get it to the rust repair guy, but winter is closing in and I need to do that asap. I don't want that rust to get any worse once that salt hits the ground. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in there within the next few weeks. I'm thinking a complete body overhaul: fixing the rust, the dents in the rear, obviously getting that rear bumper put on there, and a mate black paint job. Also some new tires, probably general grabber at2's like the ones on my '00 Runner. I like them. Man my wallet will be hurting after all that, but better sooner than later so I can enjoy it!

I had to jump start it a few days ago, after not driving it for like 4 days. That's the first time that happened, maybe I left the door slightly open and the dome light drained it. I hope its not indicative of anything more serious like the alternator. I haven't had a problem since then so I'm thinking no big deal.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Well, it has been well over a year since I have updated this thread. Pretty sad. Here's some of the things I've done in the past year:
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Replaced broken Heat / AC face plate:

As you can see, my face plate for the Heat / AC was cracked, broken, and peeling. Here is what it looked like:

Here is a close up:

I bought a replacement from here:

http://www.toyotatruckengine.com/toyota-4runner-pickup-heater-a-c-face-plate-bezel-oem-new-22r-22re-4x4-parts/

It was fairly easy to pop the old face plate off, no need to unscrew the dash or anything, especially if you don't care about breaking it...

Here is what it looks like with the plate off:

Here is the removed old plate:

The new plate pops right in:

After replacing the knobs, here is the finished product:

Old 03-09-2014, 02:54 PM

Got an antique plate about six months ago... No more inspections or renewing my registration! Now if only the idiots at the Philadelphia Parking Authority would learn the law and stop ticketing me for having an expired registration...

Last edited by ezucker; 03-09-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM

So my windshield washer fluid hasn't worked since I bought the truck. Since my '00 4Runner is in the shop and I've been driving this as my daily driver, I decided it's time to fix it. I pulled the reservoir from the hood after disconnecting the wires and hoses. The old pump was rusted. I bought a new pump at auto zone for $15. Replaced the pump. I had to cut the wires and manually re-wire it but it was easy. And wouldn't you know it, my windshield washer fluid pump now works! Here's a pic of the old (broken) pump:

And here is the new part i bought from auto zone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/TAAP-Windshield-Washer-Pump/1987-Toyota-4-Runner-4WD/_/N-iiv6eZ9cibf?itemIdentifier=69774_194108_0_

I'm still missing the nozzle on the passenger side. I need to pick one of those up, been having trouble finding it online but I figure I'll call the dealership and ask for the part number, how expensive could a nozzle be, even from the dealership? Famous last words...

Last edited by ezucker; 03-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.