Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 Pickup, ARB OME CR009S leaf springs too stiff and too high, drive-line vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 11:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I used this guide to order my parts. I think you need the U bolts if you use the full spring packs. Not sure if you remove leaves, like we talked about above.
https://view.publitas.com/arb-4x4-accessories-1/old-man-emu-international-application-catalogue-latest/page/188-189

Last edited by kanurys; 02-01-2024 at 11:27 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-01-2024, 01:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kanurys
I picked up the OME U bolts for the job. You might be able to reuse the old ones, but it's nice to know that part is new. It's kind of an important part...
OH yeah definitely ! OK so you were able to use the OME U bolts even with some leafs removed. Or I could go to a local shop and get some made on the spot. How do you like the ride ? Must of settled real nice by now
Old 02-02-2024, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by pimacdaddy
OH yeah definitely ! OK so you were able to use the OME U bolts even with some leafs removed. Or I could go to a local shop and get some made on the spot. How do you like the ride ? Must of settled real nice by now
OMEs work with the leaves removed. There is enough thread. I cut them shorter after I drove around a while. I did leave them long enough incase I had to put the leaves back in.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:53 AM

ride is more like stock, maybe better - a little more active but not too soft
Old 03-04-2024, 09:41 AM

ride is more like stock, maybe better - a little more active but not too soft

Hey man I was able to source some ARB U Bolts locally and realized they aren't OMEU53B but OMEU53.... I wonder if they would fit ? Would you be able to do me a solid and measure yours when you have a sec ?
Old 03-06-2024, 05:24 AM

Hey man I was able to source some ARB U Bolts locally and realized they aren't OMEU53B but OMEU53.... I wonder if they would fit ? Would you be able to do me a solid and measure yours when you have a sec ?
Before I go crawl under my truck, you could crawl under yours and measure your spring perch to outside of your shock mount plate and add that to the spring stack measurement I posted. Then you would know the total stack height and compare that to the U bolts (and included OME nuts/washers) you're actually holding.

Also, why wouldn't they fit? They're the same as the part I used, as posted above.

Last edited by kanurys; 03-06-2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:28 AM

Yeah I thought of it but I stored my truck in a heated garage this winter
Old 04-17-2024, 02:39 PM

Before I go crawl under my truck, you could crawl under yours and measure your spring perch to outside of your shock mount plate and add that to the spring stack measurement I posted. Then you would know the total stack height and compare that to the U bolts (and included OME nuts/washers) you're actually holding.

Also, why wouldn't they fit? They're the same as the part I used, as posted above.

Ok so I measured my U bolts on the truck and they are just under 6 inch long. The OME are just around 7 1/4. I could reuse my old ones but I'd rather put it all in new under there. Thing is I only have 1 out of 4 U bolts still. Anyways can't wait to install the new leaf packs
Did your ride ended settling more or stayed the way it was after a while ?

ALSO regarding the bushings that sits in the bolts, I was prepared (at least for that matter) and ordered new oem bolts and nuts but the OME bushings sits loose on the bolts. Did you have to re use the inner metal sleeves ?

Thank you for any inputs

Last edited by pimacdaddy; 04-17-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:55 AM

Ok so I measured my U bolts on the truck and they are just under 6 inch long. The OME are just around 7 1/4. I could reuse my old ones but I'd rather put it all in new under there. Thing is I only have 1 out of 4 U bolts still. Anyways can't wait to install the new leaf packs
Did your ride ended settling more or stayed the way it was after a while ?

ALSO regarding the bushings that sits in the bolts, I was prepared (at least for that matter) and ordered new oem bolts and nuts but the OME bushings sits loose on the bolts. Did you have to re use the inner metal sleeves ?

Thank you for any inputs
Yes, in fact I had the same question. I called ARB/OME and the sent out two sleeves for free.

I don't know if mine settled after removing leaves. I figured they would a little bit, but the full packs had been on the truck so long I didn't bother measuring.

Last edited by kanurys; 04-18-2024 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:23 PM

IF anyone runs into this problem.... Problem solved. OME P/N for poly bushings inner sleeves is arb181469.
The following users liked this post:
kanurys (04-20-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 11:37 AM

Hey so when you said the 3rd from the top, it has the brackets on it and the yellow plastic greasing housing. So the 3rd down So the smallest one of the 4th spring arch springs ?
Old 05-29-2024, 12:43 PM

Hey so when you said the 3rd from the top, it has the brackets on it and the yellow plastic greasing housing. So the 3rd down So the smallest one of the 4th spring arch springs ?
I'm not sure what you mean by smallest one of 4th arch springs. I think 3rd from the top is pretty clear, as stated, above. Just go re-read the discussion... For me it seemed pretty logical if you understand how a leaf spring works.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kanurys the fact you had to remove a leaf from the pack is quite disappointing to hear. I've got those OME springs in my cart on ToyTec right now.
If you had the option of doing it again would you still buy the OME springs and remove a leaf or would you go with a new set of stock springs?
Or maybe you would do something completely different
Old 06-08-2024, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by machabees
Kanurys the fact you had to remove a leaf from the pack is quite disappointing to hear. I've got those OME springs in my cart on ToyTec right now.
If you had the option of doing it again would you still buy the OME springs and remove a leaf or would you go with a new set of stock springs?
Or maybe you would do something completely different
I went with this option because stock (replica) springs were more expensive than OME. I personally have no issues with removing a leaf. If I did it again, I'd probably get the same springs but use Bilstein shocks of some sort instead of the OME. They're a little over damped if you're not carrying a heavy load.
machabees (06-11-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 07:35 AM

Yes, in fact I had the same question. I called ARB/OME and the sent out two sleeves for free.

I don't know if mine settled after removing leaves. I figured they would a little bit, but the full packs had been on the truck so long I didn't bother measuring.

Hey Kanury what did you do with this bump stop bushing at the front ? Did you get a new one ? Don't think it'll fit on the spring

This

Yhuh

Last edited by pimacdaddy; 07-31-2024 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2024, 11:21 AM

Hey Kanury what did you do with this bump stop bushing at the front ? Did you get a new one ? Don't think it'll fit on the spring
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...p-stop-317057/
Old 07-10-2024, 06:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
kanurys, Did you do anything with the rebound clip on the ome cr009s leaf three? mine has one on that leaf just one end... i think leaf 4 has one on the other end of the set. about to try out this mod on my 87 pickup.

Last edited by N6Three; 07-10-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by N6Three
kanurys, Did you do anything with the rebound clip on the ome cr009s leaf three? mine has one on that leaf just one end... i think leaf 4 has one on the other end of the set. about to try out this mod on my 87 pickup.
I simply removed that 3rd down leaf including everything attached to it. I assume by rebound clip you mean the alignment bracket attached to one end that keeps the leaves laterally aligned as well?
Old 07-10-2024, 08:24 AM

I simply removed that 3rd down leaf including everything attached to it. I assume by rebound clip you mean the alignment bracket attached to one end that keeps the leaves laterally aligned as well?
indeed. i had to look up what to call it i will try to chime back in when i do the work, waiting on pair of bushings before i begin. gonna reuse some energy suspension parts i recently installed, one is larger than what the emu springs need tho.
kanurys (07-10-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 12:45 PM

I installed my ARB OME CR009S leaf springs yesterday. First i used a pair of C-clamps, removed the leaf spring center bolt, pulled the bottom leaf, and number three from the top, then reassembled, also flipped one side's nut and bolt on the spring retainers so all threaded bolt ends were on the inside. Then i removed the original equipment, which was pretty easy. didnt have rust to deal with, i had replaced my leaf spring bushings some time not too far back with the Energy suspension 8.2107G kit but did not replace the front leaf spring bushings at the time bc they needed to be pressed out or something, and i didnt feel like messing with that at the time. the fronts are a larger diameter than the rear and shackle bushings which is important.

The Cr009s has the same size in the front and rear spring eyes (where you insert bushings), which are the same size as the shackle and rear bushings from the original springs. i needed two more bushing sets to install them with the ome springs, so i ordered the energy suspension 8.2109G set for $13. the 8.2107G kit came with two sleeves that you would install with the larger front of the leaf spring bushings which was nice, the 09G kit does not include sleeves nor should it if using on the shackles or rear leaf bushings, SO i was able to use those sleeves with the 09G bushings to mount the forward part of the leaf springs. i used the nut and bolt and some press fittings to get the front bushing sleeves installed, the passenger side was a bit tighter to get into position on my chassis but i ended up beveling the bushing in a very minor way and got them in.

Over all, the springs raised my rear two inches approx, but my rear was sagging on the old springs, i think it turned out pretty nicely !

ome CR009S with leaves removed

The following 2 users liked this post by N6Three:
86 TOY (07-17-2024), kanurys (07-16-2024)

Quick Reply: 1986 Pickup, ARB OME CR009S leaf springs too stiff and too high, drive-line vibration