Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

102'' Military Style Anetnna & Tie Down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
well ideally the antenna would actually be longer. straight antennas tend to work better than loaded (coiled) ones, but with cb it doesent really matter.
Yup, that's my basic point.
Trying to get a zillion mile xmission range with a CB is kinda funny.

Fred
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, i have talked to australia on my cb...
Old 10-28-2007, 06:09 AM

Ive talked with Idaho from Montana on my cb as well. I was shocked.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
...Go out and get a ham license (35 question multiple choice test for the entry level), and you can use up to 1500w. I can easily get 30-40 miles range out of the 35w 2 meter rig mounted in my truck.
Agreed, and with one single repeater, can do up to 200+ miles. We have a repeater linking system, also known as the Evergreen Intertie, we can link them all the way up into Canada fron Northern Cal, east to Montana and everything in between. CB's are fine for a group of rock crawlers, or convoy of travelers communicating between themselves for coordinating, but for any long distance, its not worth what you will put into it. (Cell phones will do better in those cases) and of course, the noise from those radios. I'm with MMA Alex, get the ham ticket. For those not in the know, they have done away with the code all together, its just a test now and its even multiple guess. I 'm going to upgrade my HAM ticket! Get the info you need to licensing at http://www.arrl.org they sell study guides etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by floatingk
Ive talked with Idaho from Montana on my cb as well. I was shocked.
That was a result of a charged ionosphere reflecting your signals back to earth. In CB language, this is known as skip and though, maybe fun, it can render local communications down to zilch. Especially when the sunspot activity is at its greatest. I beleive we are back on the upswing of the 11 year sunspot cycle. During peak, radios are worthless for local communications. In HAM language, this is called skywave propogation. VHF signals are not reflected, but cut through the ionosphere. There is a rare instance where VHF will "skip" and its called tropospheric ducting and ultra rare. These radios (2 meter is the HAM work horse band AKA VHF) use FM also, so they are quiet in your rig, even if you have a noisy ignition system. There is also a VHF high band, or 220 MHZ (1.2 meters) and the UHF low band, 440 HMZ. There is others, ie 900 Mhz, which is geting into the SHF or super high frequency, and then the SHF band of 1.2 Ghz (1200 Mhz)

Its a lot of fun. Check out some radios at http://www.aesham.com/ or try http://www.hamradio.com/

OK, sorry if I have gotten off topic here. Back on course! Maybe a HAM radio thread would be in order?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:22 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
Post some pics if you decide to do it....unless I beat you to it.
Originally Posted by 91muddog
I am currently running a wilson 2000 trucker mounted to the bike rack
I am thinking of mounting a 102''whip on the rear bumper or a door jamb mount and tying it down lmilitary style to the roof rack when not in use.
Does any one have any pictures of what this might look like or any experience with how it works?

What about ideas to tie it down?
Guess I beat you to the posting of the pics, 91muddog!
Never did like spotters...pointing their fingers left and right....pulling down on the corners....stacking rocks making a bridge My antenna says "stay away!"
Got the 102" stainless steel whip mounted...Got the whip from Radio Shack for $25.....mounted it central on the rig. Glad I have the tool box
102" whips have no adjustment because they are 1/4 wave long....very broadband. If there is an SWR issue then either something is seriously wrong with the mounting process or somebody's about 100 channels off frequency
A little history....Started out CBing it in 1973....did a couple months in 1974 of "pirate" hamming on 40 meters Novice band(morse) with fake call of WN7BDS....1975 got a real Novice license of WN7ELC....1975 upgraded to General WA2EAS....1976 upgraded to Advanced. Did some 'hammy' things like build my own rotational 2 element 20meter directional quad antenna with wood and wire...built a Heathkit 101....only shocked myself once on 280 vdc in the process....mostly enjoyed the "QRP" operation on 40 meters cw....that would be morse code on 1/2 watt power late at night on 7125 kHz.

In any event, CB is still the mode for 4x4 groups on the trail. If you've ever been to Easter Jeep Safari with out one then you know how "left out" you feel on the trail.

I also see lotsa potential for GMRS/FRS walkies. I just ordered myself a pair of Motorola T9550 T9550XLR 2 Way Radio 25 MILE Walkie Talkies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320171694763

Tough finding a good spot to mount the semi-bulky CB I chose but I found a workable spot
Name:  MVC-008S-9.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  MVC-009S-7.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  MVC-010S-6.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  54.4 KB

Last edited by ZUK; 10-28-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZUK
Guess I beat you to the posting of the pics, 91muddog!
Never did like spotters...pointing their fingers left and right....pulling down on the corners....stacking rocks making a bridge My antenna says "stay away!"
Got the 102" stainless steel whip mounted...Got the whip from Radio Shack for $25.....mounted it central on the rig. Glad I have the tool box
102" whips have no adjustment because they are 1/4 wave long....very broadband. If there is an SWR issue then either something is seriously wrong with the mounting process or somebody's about 100 channels off frequency
A little history....Started out CBing it in 1973....did a couple months in 1974 of "pirate" hamming on 40 meters Novice band(morse) with fake call of WN7BDS....1975 got a real Novice license of WN7ELC....1975 upgraded to General WA2EAS....1976 upgraded to Advanced. Did some 'hammy' things like build my own rotational 2 element 20meter directional quad antenna with wood and wire...built a Heathkit 101....only shocked myself once on 280 vdc in the process....mostly enjoyed the "QRP" operation on 40 meters cw....that would be morse code on 1/2 watt power late at night on 7125 kHz.

In any event, CB is still the mode for 4x4 groups on the trail. If you've ever been to Easter Jeep Safari with out one then you know how "left out" you feel on the trail.

I also see lotsa potential for GMRS/FRS walkies. I just ordered myself a pair of Motorola T9550 T9550XLR 2 Way Radio 25 MILE Walkie Talkies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320171694763

Tough finding a good spot to mount the semi-bulky CB I chose but I found a workable spot

Nice radio zuk I have a 99 and tryed to mount it there as well but the cooling fins would not let it sit so I used the glovebox to mount it, then made a bracket off my tire carrier to mount my antenna center on my 4runner.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 PM

just got over splaning it a few pages prior.... dont matter the lenth the base is the transmit and the top of the antanna is your reception..... hence, the higher u mount it the better u get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by bruzryoda; 10-28-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM

splaned it a few pages prior.....dont matter the lenth.. the higher u mount it the better u transmit.. cuz the base is the transmit part of the antanna and the top is the reception.... and must do an swr check every time it gets hit hard......................
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM

oopsssssssd
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM

i think u get the picture huh???
Old 10-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
102" whip in a RR corner would produce a strong signal out the LF, but weak out the RR. Ideally, a antenna mounted centrally is the best. A 102" whip is a 1/4 wave, but for best distance, a 5/8 wave is the ticket. But you would bneed to increase ant length by about 50" and that would be done by adding a coil on the top in the form of wire wrapping. Look into an NMO type mount and tghen an NMO-27 antenna. Small, compact and unscrews easily to put away. Oh, I'm also a license HAM operator! :;D:
Although HAM operators and CB people don't always get along, I would totally agree. I myself, a CB operator, use a Wilson 5000 magmount on my roof (centrally located...). I never had any problems, ever. There are a few different antenna mounts out there. I will try to post some pics afterwards.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by homewrecka
Although HAM operators and CB people don't always get along, I would totally agree. I myself, a CB operator, use a Wilson 5000 magmount on my roof (centrally located...). I never had any problems, ever. There are a few different antenna mounts out there. I will try to post some pics afterwards.
sorry guys, i can't seem to post the pics that i wanted to share with you all.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by homewrecka
sorry guys, i can't seem to post the pics that i wanted to share with you all.
Go to http://photobucket.com and open a free account there.....then you can post the pics.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 80W90
i had a piece of flat metal with a 'G' shape knotch cut in it. it was clamped, like a KC lite bar to my rain gutter. the the cut was just enuff to slide the whip in to, and the ball kept it from coming out.

but if you go wheelin, let it out cause a brach will break the whip or the mount, or both
i lost just the ball (off the tip) in the notch, from not letting it out, snagged it on a brach going around a tree. thought it was gonna rip off the bumper from the sound it made
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM

CB Stuff....

Hmm, glad i found this thread...not to take away from your discussions about eyeloss..but i have a few questions bout this stuff....

I got a cb radio, with a roof mounted wilson 1000 base mount antenna....(it can unscrew when not in use and the mount gets covered with a plastic cap)

it wasnt wired up...just the antenna and cable were wired in...so i wired it in tonight....got power etc. but no channel had any chatter etc. does it need an external speaker?

anyway, my other question is this...the Wilson 1000 has a small metal spike on the top with 2 setscrews in it...i read up online and i guess its suposed to have a 62.5" steel whip attached.....

mine doesnt...now, i only use it on the trails...so i dont need much in the way of range...will it still work??

Sorry for the hijack....

Thanks

Paul
Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Drama Queen/Banned

About eight and half feet sticking up plus the mounting height. I hope you don't plan on driving into parking structures.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 AM

4Runner HF Antenna Mounting?

I am looking for mounting options for a 7-54 MHz HF antenna on a 08 4Runner.
Using a ICOM 706 MKIIg with AH-4 antenna tuner. Also looking for suggestions on engine related noise reduction steps. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Cool

these are antenna mounts that require you to drill a hole through the roof. with these mounts, it will enable you to use a steel whip, fiberglass, and most any other type of antenna. plus with these, nobody can mess with your antenna cable (coax) aka pinning your coax.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Wink

here are some other CB antenna mounts. there are also a couple of pictures of alternator mounts for those of you that wanna get to be a BIG MAN on the radio. if you decide on putting in a LINEAR AMPLIFIER, which is ILLEGAL, you may need to put in a high amp alternator. but if you are power hungry... you may have to option for more than one of those alternators. by the way, in those pictures of the multi alternator mountings, they are all 200 amp alternators. thats right, 200 amps each. some people don't believe it when I tell them that.

Quick Reply: 102'' Military Style Anetnna & Tie Down.