84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

What luck with truck :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011 | 04:15 PM

What luck with truck :-(

Boy if i didnt have bad luck. I got this truck and have replaced lots of stuff. But things just keep going bad.

I do all the work myself and do know what im doing but i wonder LOL!!!!

First i replaced the drivers door cause it didnt close right then the timing chain guides went so did the timing chain and cover and all new gaskets. Then the head gasket went so i redid that. My boyfreind says he did it but he couldnt even tighten the exhaust which was his job. Also a new radiator and horn and rewire for back up lights. I also fixed the emergency brakes and lots of other things.

BUTTTT now there is a bad water leak that i cant find. Its not in the oil, no water under the truck. Only leaks while driving. Have looked for months and cannot find it. checked hoses, thermostat is new, most hoses are new. not the heater core. Where is the Leak??

Then today i went to back up and lets say the new drivers door didnt fair well so im putting the old door back on. i was watching for my cats and not paying attention.

I now have 3,000 saved so do i try to fix this yota or just say the heck with it and buy another truck. Its a 85 4 runner. I love the truck but want something reliable. What are your suggestions?
Thanks alot for any advice. I dont know what to do. Have a very merry christmas and happy new year. Sharon
Old 12-22-2011 | 04:25 PM

fix it!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2011 | 04:26 PM

85 4 runner V6 or 22r or 22re?
If it is a 22r or 22re you can't get more reliable than that.
I just did a complete engine rebuild on an 82. I got the motor in and went to fire it up and nothing. Fuel pump was toast, then got it running and found out the dizzy mechanical advance would not advance. Dizzy shot. Then the battery died, it was toast, now the radiator is bad and needs to be replaced.
85 is similar in years to this 82. Things need to be replaced after that many years. Once you have the major stuff done the thing will go another 20+ years.
BTW the 82 is now up and running perfectly and should be a reliable truck for a long long time.
$3000.00, should you do the repairs yourself, is a good amount of money to get everything up to snuff.

Last edited by toyospearo; 12-22-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2011 | 04:26 PM

Pics of the 4 runner help.
Old 12-22-2011 | 04:41 PM

Definitely fix it, in my opinion... Its a Yota. And that says it all. I know I wouldnt appreciate it if my wife talked about getting rid of me after a few things went wrong with me... She has, but thats another story.

Keep 'er and fix what she needs.
Old 12-22-2011 | 05:20 PM

Pressure test it. If its a 22RE check the hose behind the alternator. If not that probably water pump.

I put pressure on mine (a lil more than the cap) and let it sit for like 2 hours with out loosing pressure. Then finally found the leak. The hose behind the alt..
Old 12-22-2011 | 06:05 PM

Thanks

Ill check behind the alt. Thanks for opinions. I will probably keep it at least i know whats wrong. something else cheap and used just more headaches.
At least with the yota i can work on it not like new cars.

I may put all my money into it and maybe then have everything all fixed up. All i can do is keep trying. Im lucky i kept the old door so at least that wont cost me anything. Just have to lift when closing LOL!!!!

Ill let ya know if i find out the leak. sharon
Old 12-22-2011 | 06:15 PM

hey i feel ya! dont give up on it! i got my 84 4runner a few months ago. put a lot of new stuff on it, full tune up, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket. exhaust manifold itself. dizzy alternator, starter. and then it started leakin out timing cover, and oil pan again, broke a motor mount and thought i had enough. fixed all that then i had intake manifold leak, fixed that, then a new weber carb and it still has vacuum leaks. then finally blew my headgasket and got a complete new motor, swapped over everything and new motor has intake leaks and i am now leakin out heater core. i cant believe how much time and money i have invested, the motor only cost me 200 bucks, but it was worth it. i didnt wanna fix the headgasket after seeing the person before me put silicone over timing cover on headgasket. sorry for rambling but dont give up! its worth it!
Old 12-23-2011 | 05:35 AM

I though you said it was losing coolant as you drive ? Maybe you have a head gasket leak thats seeping water into the combustion chamber . A bad blown head gasket with blow steam like a steam train but a minor leak you may not notice other then being low on coolant . just a thought . BUT ID DEF KEEP IT !! With the money you have you should be able to take it to a shop and have it fixed up and still have some cash for a new door left over . good luck
Old 12-23-2011 | 06:56 AM
Banned

It'sa25yearoldtruckbuthellovalotcheaperthanacarpay ment!

:wabbit2:
Old 12-23-2011 | 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

This is what I keep reminding my wife. She still hates my truck...
Better then our $500 payment we had on our Dodge truck.
Old 12-23-2011 | 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

I keep telling my wife "Only another thousand!" She nicknamed my 93 "The $ Pit"

Last edited by 93toyrunner2; 12-23-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-2011 | 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 93toyrunner2
I keep telling my wife "Only another thousand!" She nicknamed my 93 "The $ Pit"
Ha that's what my wife calls mine.
Old 12-25-2011 | 05:12 AM

Will keep truck

Well i doubt ill ever get it all fixed and my boyfriend hates my truck tooLOL!!!! But at least i can do the work myself.

I retightened the new head bolts and that seemed to help a little but still cant find the leak. am gonna pressure test it this week so ill keep ya updated when i know.
Heck i love my ugly old truck
Its kinda like me we are both getting old and falling apart but still going LOL!!!!

Have a great holiday everyone
Sharon
Old 12-25-2011 | 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

twasabug...I have $3260 into my 88 Runner including puchase price. It was bad.13 softball size dents on passenger side alone. Your is basically the same as mine only a solid axle.

Doing the work your self you can get it up really nice with 3k. I am 460 miles from turning 300,000 miles and not a problem. I can promise you mine was bad. It was advertised as a parts truck or rock crawler.

I tried to make my build to show as bad as mine was that a nice dependable truck can be made with a tight budget.

I figure by next week I get to join the 300,000 mile club. I have put 32,000 miles on it since getting it home an running.

Check out my 88 build and see if it cant save you a dollar or two and get it to where you want it to be.
Old 01-05-2012 | 10:48 AM

I'm on my 3rd toyo, and yeah, it's a pain sometimes. but, when they're right, there's not a more dependable or cooler rig on the planet
Old 01-05-2012 | 02:52 PM

Well My paln went bust LOL! Had to help out parents and boyfreind so dont have any money now LOL!!!!! Bought a cheap sports car and took yota off road. I still am going to fix up the yota. I always wanted a sports car but now i realise how much i love my yota to my boyfreinds regret LMAO!!!!!! I will save my pennies and get a new head from engbldr. maybe a little more money but they are the best i think. While the yota is off the road ill replace everything i can. All hoses and lines and anything else that breaks and is cheap. then ill sell the car and have more money for the yota. Thanks for all the opinions. Im definatly keeping the yota now. Sharon