84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

truck wont starts sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010 | 09:39 AM

truck wont starts sometimes?

So last friday my truck was running weird one of my cylinders was kickin in an out the checked all the plugs there good has a new rotor cap and new plug wires. so i asked my dad who use to be a mechanic to take it for a drive. needless to say about 20 mins later i got a call from him and my truck wouldnt start so i went down to the liquor store where he was and gave him a push to jump start it. this has happened to me three times since and im very puzzled. when it dies i turn the key all the lights come on my battery is fully charge and all i hear when i turn the key is a lil click coming from the EFI... any ideas?
Old 03-20-2010 | 09:57 AM

Cool Starting Issues

I just fixed this problem on my kids 91 Toyota. He had the cheap replacement bolt on battery connectors instead of one piece cables and his were corroded so bad it went under the wire casing up the wire about 3 inches. I would just replace your battery cables and clean your battery posts. Measure the positive from your starter and the ground from where its bolted to the block or inner fender well. Your wire that runs from the fuse box to the positive side on your battery may need to be replaced as well due to corrosion under the sheathing. Hope this helps ?
Old 03-20-2010 | 10:04 AM

yea this was happening to me too. i have the bolt on battery cables, and what i did was make sure they were completely touching the battery, and then i tightened them even more. now it starts up everytime. If i had the same problem, which it sounds like i did, thats all i needed to do. hope it helps
Old 03-20-2010 | 01:16 PM

Right on ill try that out and ill let you guys know if thats what it is wouldnt suprise me tho because they are old wires
Old 03-22-2010 | 01:24 PM

Jaecen1969 did you buy the cables or did you make your own? if so what did you use? Cause my positive to my fuse box was messed its like 6 wires crimped together
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:31 AM

Smile Battery Cables

For the main Battery Cables I just measured the old ones and went to Auto Parts store and bought whole new cables with connectors attached Because just buying the new connectors and cutting the cables only works temporarily. By the time you cut back far enough to get a great contact your cables may be too short. The corrosion from the battery leaches up the cables and makes them not get a good contact so you usually have to just keep cutting till you get good clean Copper. As for the wire from the Fuse box, it is common for this one to be spliced because people are lazy and dont want to take their fuse box apart. It is very simple to take only that part of fuse box apart. I just went to a wrecking yard and pulled one out of another Truck so its one piece or if you know how to Solder just go too the butt connector closest to the fuse box, cut it there and Solder a new one piece wire instead of using a butt connector and use shrink tubing to seal the connection or Electrical tape then cut wire to the desired length and solder or crimp new connector that fits under the nut that tightens the bolt on the positive Battery connector. Maybe I can try and post some pics if you still have questions ? I just replaced my whole fuse box but I didnt keep any of the old parts but am willing to take it apart again if it will help you. Most likely it will solve your speratic starting problem.
Old 03-23-2010 | 11:31 AM

i have had mine appart a few times so that wont be necessary but thanks anyways, i was just wondering what size wire i should use from the battery to the fuse box?
Old 03-24-2010 | 10:15 AM

Smile Wire

Sorry, I miss understood the question. I think its either a 6 or 4 guage and it is tied into a copper/brass plate held in with two screws. Just best to make it one piece anyway.
Old 03-24-2010 | 11:17 AM

i made one out of 8 gauge and it works really good.. thanks for the help guys i prolly woulda had the whole wire harness tore apart if you hadnt of told me haha