84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Torque Rod Solution for OME 2.5" Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020 | 07:13 PM

Torque Rod Solution for OME 2.5" Lift

I've been running the OME 2.5" lift on my '85 pickup for several years. Pretty happy with my rig's capabilities on and off road. But as I've learned more about these rigs and this particular lift, I decided I wanted to extend the torque rod bracket on the front axle housing to restore the torque rod angle closer to stock. Northwest Off Road Specialties allegedly makes a bracket to achieve this, but they are a real PITA to deal with, and the part is of course out of stock until who-knows-when. So I went with a likely inferior Skyjacker TB30 Torque Bar Relocation Bracket:
Amazon Amazon
When I removed the torque rod, I realized likely when the lift was installed (I had a buddy do the work), the torque rod did not align, so a smaller than stock diameter bolt was used to get everything to bolt up. Big problem. As the photo shows, the hole in one side of the bracket had rounded out to about 150% of its original diameter, and the bolt had a significant gouge in it.

I'm glad I caught it when I did, and hopefully my solution will make the truck handle a little tighter, especially when braking. The TB30 bracket is a real POS. The torque rod seems to want to be clamped in the brackets pretty tight (it is a tight fit in the stock brackets, and the torque spec for the bolts is real tight), but the TB30 leaves a lot of play between the bracket and the steel insert in the torque rod bushing, and leaves some play between the stock bracket and the TB30. I tightened up the gap between the TB30 and the stock bracket with some standard washers, and fabricated some washers out of 1/4" plate to eliminate the gap between the TB30 and the torque rod bushing insert. When I got the TB30 installed and went to install the torque rod, I got another surprise: the fit had gotten worse than without the TB30. Searching the web for the best solution, I discovered there are a few Aussie manufacturers that make an adjustable torque rod. Not sure if there are any US manufacturers out there. I went with the Cozza 4x4 TATHAB (ordered off ebay):
https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/p...THAB/ZPN-17023
Seems like a pretty stout part, and fit was as it should be. The only other item I needed was a 16mmx100mm bolt and locknut, as the stock bolt is not long enough. The shank on the new bolt is not quite as large as the shank on the stock bolt, which I believe is a special 16mm bolt, but it's much closer than what was in there before. Here is everything bolted up:

We'll see how it works and if it gives me any further trouble. At the moment I'm not too worried about the oversize hole since the TB30 mounts with three bolts, and I've got everything washered and tightened up nicely. I've noticed others with torque rod alignment problems with this lift, so I thought I'd post my solution; of course if you have good welding skills that is another way to solve the problem. I know many just ditch the torque rod, but I didn't want to go that route.
Old 08-12-2020 | 01:27 PM

I had to disconnect mine to install my OME lift on my 85. Honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference, thats seems to be a YMMV issue. Upgrading to a hysteer type setup seems to be the best overall solution. Just cost more than a lot of us want to spend.
Old 08-12-2020 | 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlueMidnight
I've been running the OME 2.5" lift on my '85 pickup for several years. Pretty happy with my rig's capabilities on and off road. But as I've learned more about these rigs and this particular lift, I decided I wanted to extend the torque rod bracket on the front axle housing to restore the torque rod angle closer to stock. Northwest Off Road Specialties allegedly makes a bracket to achieve this, but they are a real PITA to deal with, and the part is of course out of stock until who-knows-when. So I went with a likely inferior Skyjacker TB30 Torque Bar Relocation Bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/Skyjacker-Sus.../dp/B000E3FF94
When I removed the torque rod, I realized likely when the lift was installed (I had a buddy do the work), the torque rod did not align, so a smaller than stock diameter bolt was used to get everything to bolt up. Big problem. As the photo shows, the hole in one side of the bracket had rounded out to about 150% of its original diameter, and the bolt had a significant gouge in it.

I'm glad I caught it when I did, and hopefully my solution will make the truck handle a little tighter, especially when braking. The TB30 bracket is a real POS. The torque rod seems to want to be clamped in the brackets pretty tight (it is a tight fit in the stock brackets, and the torque spec for the bolts is real tight), but the TB30 leaves a lot of play between the bracket and the steel insert in the torque rod bushing, and leaves some play between the stock bracket and the TB30. I tightened up the gap between the TB30 and the stock bracket with some standard washers, and fabricated some washers out of 1/4" plate to eliminate the gap between the TB30 and the torque rod bushing insert. When I got the TB30 installed and went to install the torque rod, I got another surprise: the fit had gotten worse than without the TB30. Searching the web for the best solution, I discovered there are a few Aussie manufacturers that make an adjustable torque rod. Not sure if there are any US manufacturers out there. I went with the Cozza 4x4 TATHAB (ordered off ebay):
https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/p...THAB/ZPN-17023
Seems like a pretty stout part, and fit was as it should be. The only other item I needed was a 16mmx100mm bolt and locknut, as the stock bolt is not long enough. The shank on the new bolt is not quite as large as the shank on the stock bolt, which I believe is a special 16mm bolt, but it's much closer than what was in there before. Here is everything bolted up:

We'll see how it works and if it gives me any further trouble. At the moment I'm not too worried about the oversize hole since the TB30 mounts with three bolts, and I've got everything washered and tightened up nicely. I've noticed others with torque rod alignment problems with this lift, so I thought I'd post my solution; of course if you have good welding skills that is another way to solve the problem. I know many just ditch the torque rod, but I didn't want to go that route.
what I've been meaning to ask is how did you set up the sway bar? Are those longer sway bar links?

tks, Brent.
Old 08-12-2020 | 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I had to disconnect mine to install my OME lift on my 85. Honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference, thats seems to be a YMMV issue. Upgrading to a hysteer type setup seems to be the best overall solution. Just cost more than a lot of us want to spend.
Yeah it seems like a lot of people just skip the torque rod, or install a shock instead. There are a few threads detailing those options, just thought I'd post a different alternative. Someday I'd like to go to the hysteer, there's a decent write up here on what's involved in a low-lift crossover setup...someday...
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t....212363/page-2
I think this is the sway bar end link kit I went with. The goal is to get it as close to level as possible. Lots of people just ditch the sway bar too. I'm pretty happy with my wheeling abilities with it connected, but a sway bar quick disconnect seems like the best way to go.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-8119G
Old 08-19-2020 | 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlueMidnight
Yeah it seems like a lot of people just skip the torque rod, or install a shock instead. There are a few threads detailing those options, just thought I'd post a different alternative. Someday I'd like to go to the hysteer, there's a decent write up here on what's involved in a low-lift crossover setup...someday...
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t....212363/page-2
I think this is the sway bar end link kit I went with. The goal is to get it as close to level as possible. Lots of people just ditch the sway bar too. I'm pretty happy with my wheeling abilities with it connected, but a sway bar quick disconnect seems like the best way to go.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-8119G

tks for the info! Those look too short for my lift. I guess our 4runner is lifted more than I thought. The PO didn't have specifics I need to lower the sway bar. It does handle better with it. I've used threaded rod but it broke, not automotive grade.
Old 09-23-2020 | 03:51 PM

I just finished installing the OME onto my '85 truck. I would like to install and adjustable torque rod so I can run the springs unstressed . . . that is, let the front springs locate the axle, and fit the torque rod to match. (I have a post from earlier today where I was looking for one.)

So do you like the Cozza torque rod? How long did it take to arrive?
Old 09-23-2020 | 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ratas calientes
I just finished installing the OME onto my '85 truck. I would like to install and adjustable torque rod so I can run the springs unstressed . . . that is, let the front springs locate the axle, and fit the torque rod to match. (I have a post from earlier today where I was looking for one.)

So do you like the Cozza torque rod? How long did it take to arrive?
Yeah, the Cozza seems to be working as advertised. Looks like it took 8 days to get here via DHL.
Old 09-24-2020 | 11:55 AM

I love DHL. For a few reasons. First, if it came from Australia in 8 days, that's pretty good.

How about this one. A relative of mine married a girl from Ecuador. Didn't work out. After a year here in the US, she ran back to be with mamma in Ecuador.
I helped him with the divorce papers. So, how does one serve papers to Ecuador? I contacted an international company that did process serving. They wanted all kinds of money, for things like translation services. (If you ask me, they already had everything already translated into Spanish. Give me a break.) All we needed was proof that the wife received the papers. FedEx would not guarantee that we received proof of receipt. But DHL did. We sent them down there. I then worked with a very nice lady over the phone, who after two weeks, got me an image of the wife's signature from Ecuador. (If the court clerk questioned it, I also had a copy of her passport, so I could prove that it was the same signature.) The court clerk accepted the signature as proof. After 30 days to respond, there was none, so my relative got a summary judgement. DHL is the best.