84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Pics of the 84......Finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006 | 08:08 PM

Pics of the 84......Finally

i finally got some pictures of my truck. Its still pretty basic. A cheap suspension lift, some 33x12.5 in tires and a custom made box (not complete) Tell me what you think and what you think i could improve.

thanks
Adam
Attached Thumbnails Pics of the 84......Finally-truck-front.jpg   Pics of the 84......Finally-truck-rear.jpg   Pics of the 84......Finally-truck-front-corner.jpg  
Old 08-02-2006 | 08:27 PM

nice man it looks pretty good. I like that custom box u have on there.
Old 08-06-2006 | 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I like it !

I'll suggest sliders next and then on to the full exo !

Old 08-06-2006 | 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Then ARB lockers front and rear along with a re-gear

and then a winch. Followed by fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view.

Old 08-06-2006 | 02:43 PM

I'm with the fuzzy dice........maybe some fringe for good measure

Last edited by fustercluck; 08-06-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2006 | 08:48 PM

thanks for the feedback although I dont know about the exo cage.... have never really been a fan of those. I would like to put some sliders on it at somepoint but im kinda strapped for cash at the moment. The next peice to go on, hopefully tomorrow, is a bumper on the rear. Any thoughts on cheap ways to increase low end power? i can cruise fine but it seems like im a lil bit lacking at the lower RPMs. oh and a floor goes in the box this week too. I was also thinking about running some seafoam in it and see if it makes a difference in milage. Im at about what i got with my trans am. 16.5mpg so im not complaining but every little bit helps. right now im focusing more on things to make it nicer/cheaper to drive and not too worried about the off road mods like sliders becuase i leave for college in a little bit over a week. kinda hard to haul stuff to college with no floor in the box.... lol

adam
Old 08-06-2006 | 08:51 PM

oh and for the fuzzy dice i already have a lego sheman hanging from the mirror with some dental floss... kind of a weird story... and a lil long to type espcially since i just wrote a book however that fringe might accent the sheman's beard nicely.....

Last edited by b82ta3; 08-06-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2006 | 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Damn it! That makes me wish I hadn't sold my '84! Looks good to me. With those tires I don't see much as far as gas mileage improvement though. Try some seafoam anyway, it couldn't hurt.
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good!!

You have to tell us about the Lego Sheman Story......Come on....Give....Give!!
Old 08-08-2006 | 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Running those tires - you will not find any low end power unless you regear
and you will have to do the front and the rear - never just do the rear unless it's 2 wheel drive only !!!!!!!!

I want to regear mine just running 31's but that will have to wait. I think
5.29's would be to much, I'm thinking 4.88 for me. I never plan to run anything bigger than 33's.

I think that you have a nice truck - especially since you just now leaving for college. keep the truck and let it become what YOU want as you become what you want to be. I envy you young guy's ! I would change things if I had the chance to do it over again !!! I'll be 49 next month - but I am still a young -un !!!!
Old 08-08-2006 | 05:09 AM

Can we get specifics on the lift?
As for recomendations, I recommend no rear bumper, let the bottom of the flatbed be the rear bumper, why take away departure angle? Get some sliders ASAP. As someone already mentioned, regear the axles for better low end. If you want a better crawl ratio you can regear the transfer case. That isn't as precise so you can do it yourself.
I wouldn't lock the front end on stock steering. I made that mistake, it was great for a while but ultimately I payed for it by a weekend riding along with someone else at Paragon AP when my steering gave out.
Get a locker in the back ASAP! That is one of the best off road mods you can make. I would do a locker and sliders before anything else.
Old 08-08-2006 | 03:11 PM

lol first things first.... about the lego she man. Once upon a time in the most boring physics class you will ever attend, I had built a catapault out of k'nex for a lab and it just happened to launch lego people. And one day i was just screwing around cause thats pretty much all we did in that class anyways. so i found these two lego people one was obviously a girl and the other was a man with some stubble. So to poke fun at one of my friend who had jsut recently broken up with a girl who basically had sideburns, and found that the girl was still stalking him. I threw the head from the man on the womans body.... long story short it ended up in my truck and just a few days ago my other friend found it on our way to go play paintball and decided it should hang from my mirror. so he found some dental floss in my truck (the dentist gives me floss cause he says i dont floss enough, but it never makes it any further than my car) and cut a peice off and tied it up there. thats about it sorry if it was a dissapointment its mostly a joke between friends.
Old 08-08-2006 | 03:18 PM

now the other posts. I dont plan on selling it. I suppose i would if i was offered enough but it would have to be a lot. The lift is a superlift 3 inch kit. New springs up front and super cheap add a leafs in the rear, but one of the top things on my list is the chevy spring swap, since i have a junk 2wd chevy at my house anyways it should be cheap. I just didnt have the time. my rear bumper isnt going to be any lower than the rear shakles so im not going to loose too much, plus it should be really easy to remove if im going to be doing any sort of serious off roading where ill need max approach and departure angles. i really wish i had the money to do sliders and lockers but that will have to wait till the middle of winter or next spring at the soonest. About how much would regearing cost and how extensive is the work to do it? also what gears would be good? and what locker is a good choice for a daily driven truck?
Old 08-12-2006 | 09:36 PM

First off, sweet yota. It looks a whole lot like my '85 except mines still stock. Not for long. I dont mean to try to swipe the post but whats the deal with chevy springs? Whats the appeal? Im trying to decide which, if any, lift i want to put on my truck and the best mild lift i have found is rough country's 3" kit with rear springs for 400 bucks. If there was some advantage to running chevy springs though, i might do the kit without rear springs in the meantime. ??? Big question1
Old 08-13-2006 | 06:04 PM

from what i have read they articulate better and ride smoother because they are a longer spring with less arc. All i know is that my rear add a leaf is harsh. I avoid a few roads to spare my back and neck the beating. I am looking for ways to soften this up and so far im thinking that the chevy spring swap would be a good way to do that and gain some articulation while im at it.

The wood is just about ready to be installed on my box. Should be some new photos tomorrow of the complete look....for now