84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Overheating - tried almost everything. 22r

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating - tried almost everything. 22r

I've been dealing with this since I got it up and running and while I've made progress it still runs warm when I'm really pushing it. Originally it would overheat with any big hills or at highway speeds, its better now but still overheats going up big mountain roads or in 4x4 in soft sand.

So far I've replaced

Waterpump + belt
Radiator (with an all metal CSF) and new radiator cap (stant)
coolant flush - twice. 50/50 mix of Zerex G05 and water
t-stat (stant OE temp)
fan clutch
Upper radiator hose, lower isn't very old.
I added an electric fan to the front that is activated via toggle switch. This helps a little bit too.

The engine is a relatively new Jasper rebuilt with maybe 10k on it. I've only had the truck for a few months and I don't really know its past history too well. I drive a ton of mountain roads and I'm planning on taking a week long trip to Death Valley next month so I'd really like to get this under control.

Again, the needle will start climbing when I'm going over 60 on the highway or when I'm going up a steel incline. It never gets up to the red line but sometimes gets close.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you install the 3-core radiator from a V6 4-Runner? It's a bolt in swap, and offers better cooling. I do know new engines will run warmer due to increased friction, but you should be past that stage with 10K on the engine.

Maybe try removing the t-stat for a quick trip to see if it helps? It may point to a restriction/flow problem. Or at least eliminate one thing at a time...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like your headgasket has failed and is over pressurizing your cooling system. I would do the following...

1. Get a coolant tester that shows any hydrocarbons in the coolant. If present than you know your headgasket is shot.
2. Pressure check your cooling system to see if there are any leaks and if it holds pressure.
3. Run a compression test and see if you have any internal leaks on the head gasket.

Dig out your Jasper warrenty paperwork...your going to need it.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Jasper engine was done by previous owner, don't have paperwork and I'd rather just do the head gasket myself since I could get it done in a few hours vs waiting on Jasper, as long as the heads aren't warped I'm not going to bother getting them involved.

I am not loosing any coolant and not much is ending up in the external coolant tank. Oil was just changed as well and I didn't notice any water in it nor do I see the typical milkshake sludge in the coolant. I will run a compression tester later tonight before I rule anything out though.

Last edited by pocketrubbish; 10-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by pocketrubbish
Jasper engine was done by previous owner, don't have paperwork and I'd rather just do the head gasket myself since I could get it done in a few hours vs waiting on Jasper, as long as the heads aren't warped I'm not going to bother getting them involved.

I am not loosing any coolant and not much is ending up in the external coolant tank. Oil was just changed as well and I didn't notice any water in it nor do I see the typical milkshake sludge in the coolant. I will run a compression tester later tonight before I rule anything out though.
Do you have a fan shroud on it? May not be a head gasket I've been having the same problem an finally figured it out a few days ago
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM

With out a fan shroud it don't put the heat to the spring on your fan clutch and makes it stay disengaged, just a problem I ran in to