84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

O2 sensor test question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 sensor test question

My 85 4runner is running really rich, so much so that I can not go down the road with the back window down. I dont have much money to put into it this weekend, so I thought this might be a good weekend to spend with the FSM, some test equipment, and get to know the emissions system components, and EFI components.

My question on testing the O2 sensor, is the FSM calls for using a SST at the test connector. I dont have the SST with red and black wire, and I know the connector has four pins. Can anyone tell me which pins to use for the pos and neg probes on the multimeter. Not to ask anyone to do extra work, but a picture would be great.

I know there are several sensors and components that all need to work together to make the right fuel air mixture. But does anyone have suggestions on what has made their rigs run rich in the past.

The truck is not bringing up any CEL during normal driving. I am only guessing that the CEL works at this point. Could someone also let me know which pins are the one to jump on the test connector, and what to do with the ignition key to get any codes out of it.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tmcorbin
My 85 4runner is running really rich, so much so that I can not go down the road with the back window down. I dont have much money to put into it this weekend, so I thought this might be a good weekend to spend with the FSM, some test equipment, and get to know the emissions system components, and EFI components.

My question on testing the O2 sensor, is the FSM calls for using a SST at the test connector. I dont have the SST with red and black wire, and I know the connector has four pins. Can anyone tell me which pins to use for the pos and neg probes on the multimeter. Not to ask anyone to do extra work, but a picture would be great.

I know there are several sensors and components that all need to work together to make the right fuel air mixture. But does anyone have suggestions on what has made their rigs run rich in the past.

The truck is not bringing up any CEL during normal driving. I am only guessing that the CEL works at this point. Could someone also let me know which pins are the one to jump on the test connector, and what to do with the ignition key to get any codes out of it.

Thanks
You can use the small round O2 sensor test connector:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

It has 1 wire as I recall, the other meter probe is grounded. You usually need an analog volt meter or a very good digital meter that can capture the rapid voltage swings, typically ~8 swings from lean to rich in 10 seconds.

Or better yet, pop for an inexpensive Air Fuel meter and hook it up on your dash so you can see the A/F mixture as you drive.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the t connector and checked the engine codes. the t connector had hidden itself. At a cold engine it is not showing any codes. I will check it again after the morning drive to work.

Do I jump the same t terminals to check the timing?

Where do run the air fuel meter to on the engine?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, those two terminals need to be jumped to set the timing correctly. I now keep a SST (paper clip) in the truck all the time.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tmcorbin
I found the t connector and checked the engine codes. the t connector had hidden itself. At a cold engine it is not showing any codes. I will check it again after the morning drive to work.

Do I jump the same t terminals to check the timing?

Where do run the air fuel meter to on the engine?

Thanks
Yep, as noted above, same connector jumper for timing:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

I added a switch for mine:

A/F meter ties into the O2 sensor:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...FuelRatioGauge

Or some hook to a separate sensor, especially if you go with a more accurate wide-band sensor.