84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My brake upgrade experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 04:38 PM

My brake upgrade experience

Well i just did the v6 caliper and FJ60 rotor upgrade. Not knowing anything about it i jumped right in do to the fact i needed brakes a.s.a.p. So dont make the same mistakes i did and not research the upgrade. Heres what i learned.

First, when you get the calipers make sure you get the retaining pins for the brake pads because the old ones will not be long enough.

Second, i ground off the first inner fin of the caliper of both sides due to wheel fitment problems so you might want to do it off the bat right away.

Third, when getting the rotors off you must remove the calipers first and then the hub dial then reinstall the 10mm bolt in the holes for when you bang the hub off you dont crush the threaded holes. Remove the inner snap-ring and 12mm nuts and washers and you will find the those little bastards...THE CONE WASHERS!!! hit the hub with a big hammer between two of the 10mm bolts you reinstalled and try and disburse the impact evenly between them and then rotate untill cone washers give.

Fourth, get a lug nut you do not care about anymore and thread onto each stud and bang each one out. Remove 2 14mm bolts from the back of the rotor and hub and they should separate with relative ease.Install new rotor and 14mm bolt and reinstall studs. Pull the studs threw with a lug nut that is open on both ends using the flat side towards the rotor that way the tapered side does not mess up the hub face.

Fifth, grind off a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the backing plate on the top and the bottom. And walla thats it.

This is the ground off fin

This is the back showing my lovely 4in bolt i got from lows because i could not find the retaining pins mentioned earlier.

This is the trimming of the backing plate on top.

This is the bottom.

This is everything

I hope this helps someone because it would of kept me from runnin all over town had i known any of this. Total cost: Calipers $40 ea. rotors $28 ea.
Pads $21 set Caliper bolts at lows $5. And yes they took my old calipers and didnt know they were the smaller ones