84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Looking for Toyota Specific Mechanic (or shadetree mech.) in NJ/PA/DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 05:38 AM

Looking for Toyota Specific Mechanic (or shadetree mech.) in NJ/PA/DE

Hey all,

Summer is coming to an end and my '85 4Runner has sat topless, in a slumber with a few annoying problems that make it hard to drive it distances (beach, woods, anywhere cool to drive a 1st gen 4Runner). I don't have the time with a new job and moving recently to fix these problems myself. Even after I replace the radiator/cooling system and install a new alternator this weekend, I still need to get my timing/transmissions issues figured out so I can go faster than 60 miles per hour at WOT and climb hills without slamming the RPM's in 2nd gear (could be a solenoid issue w/overdrive).

Does anyone know a competent Toyota specific mechanic, preferably someone who has worked on 22re's in southern NJ, Eastern PA, Northern DE?

Or would anyone here who is accomplished be willing to spend a weekend going over my truck with me? I have no problem paying for your time and parts. I want to learn how to do these more advanced troubleshooting and repairs but I just can't afford to screw it up myself and then look for another incompetent "general" mechanic who puts the wrong spark plugs in my truck again.

I miss my healthy running 4Runner ....

Justin
Old 08-07-2007 | 06:53 AM

BTW - run OEM plugs and wires...

If you want to mess with things - AutoLite 64 but you have to change them every 10k or so...

Is it an engine issue or a Tranny issue?
Old 08-07-2007 | 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
Is it an engine issue or a Tranny issue?
I think a combo of both. The last tune up I got I don't think was done correctly (parts, timing, etc) and the TPS may be out of alignment, or an EGR malfunction.

The engine bogs (unless at WOT) when it goes into 3rd gear and I'm not quite sure if overdrive is working correctly or not. The O/D indicator light stopped working.

Since there is a combo of problems, I'd like to spend a day with someone who knows this stuff and work out the problems all at once.

Justin