84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Help please....waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011 | 07:58 PM

I would find a DEFINITIVE answer as to why the fluid/pressure upon back up wont head to your overflow... And hmmmm, ....doesn't the cap control the flow of fluid/pressure into that elbow/canister, as I was mentioning before? I'll have to look at mine. Do you have an aftermarket cap or OEM? (not saying "ANYTHING but OEM wont work!!!" lol.... trust me, ...)but, lol. I wont use anything but OEM on those lil things. It's not that much more. Sorry if I missed you mentioning that, already.

So, have you been trying to warm it up from cold with the cap off? Sorry, I know it's probably been answered as well, ...just really tired, REAAAAAAAAAALLY tired.

I still think he could have radiator issues. Mine did something very similar...only thing is, ....IT DID fill the overflow, before almost flowing over that, as well.
Old 03-26-2011 | 12:10 PM

Well i finally had a day off and did some more work. Ive come to the conclusion im 98% positive its the head gasket. Ive replaced

New radiator
new thermostat "also ran with no thermostat"
fan clutch

I diddnt bother replaceing the water pump because im fairly certain its the headgasket....And this is why.

I flushed the system with a water hose and a rag rapd around it to build pressure , got some rough looking water\coolant but no real debri's , fill it back up and left the rad cap \ resevoir cap off. Let it run for a while well I noticed that in the resevoir it was bubbleing , pulled the tube out ...no more bubbles. Obviously the gas's from the hg failing are sending air through to the overflow which is making the bubbles. which would be all fine and dandy BUT the small hose does not allow enough gas's to excape to keep the radiator from building pressure which is whats causeing my overheating\pressure issues...

It sx because a hg repair is going to cost me around 1,000....which means im gonna have to get rid of the truck...idk what ima do about a ride. Bluh

Old 03-26-2011 | 12:24 PM

I'm really not an expert, like Roger(4crawler)... but are you CERTAIN it's the head, and not a blocked water port somewhere, etc? Not saying you're wrong, ....and YEP, you definitely wanna catch it before it goes any further, .....if indeed it is a HG.

1000$??? If you're just concerned about getting back on the road, and you'd be without a car anyway, if you let it go....WHY NOT DO IT YOURSELF? it's NOT that big a deal, Zack, and we'll set you up with links, offer any help we can, to walk you through it.

Do you WANNA try and do this? If you have a FEW TOOLS, you can. You can rent the rest at Autozone or whatever.

You would wanna have the head checked out, just for the heck of it, maybe resurfaced, and clean up the block really well, and slap in a new HG for around 150$ parts, including Intake Gaskets, maybe exhaust gaskets, fluids?

c'monnnnnnn, you can do it! lol.

Mark
Old 03-26-2011 | 12:29 PM

yah but even if i did do it myself , having a head done around here takes a month or more because we only have 2 head shops and they do TONS of business. Not to mention i have no torque wrench or time to really work on the truck...bluh
Old 03-26-2011 | 12:34 PM

Zack, ....are you quitting that easily? You can find shops, ALL OVER THE NET, that will send you a head, minus core, for yours. Torque wrench? .... Harbor Freight 1/2" Clicker is 24$. Sounds like you just don't wanna do it, eh? lol.

engnbldr.com for a brand newly cast head, HG, shipped for around 350$! it's BOLT ON, you just have to keep your rocker assembly, maybe ask one of those shops to take a quick look at your rockers and CAM, ...then slap it all in. C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnn, hahaha.

Well, if you don't wanna do it, ya don't wanna do it, I guess.
Old 03-26-2011 | 12:42 PM

at this point im so bummed....the trucks not worth it to put that money into really...5th gear in the trans doesnt work. the body\interior are shot. The driver side tire is set back towards the firewall "I think the bolt holding the leaf pack centered broke" And ive found brand new heads with the cam already install for like 220. But you still gotta get it checked out by a machine shop for high\low spots. I dont mind doing work...Im just already tire of the truck after 3 weeks. I previously owned a 93 nissan 300zx 5spd. That i built from the ground up , suspension , engine , rear end , trans , etc. idk man...idk what ima do...gotta do something though im supposed to be going to north carolina here soon for college.
Old 03-26-2011 | 03:26 PM

Yep, it's tough when the "NEEDS" come and the "WALLET" isn't filling up as quickly as said "NEEDS_LIST", ...know the feeling.

Any way you could just part out enough to get yourself a running beater, ...ya know, just to get you through college? I find 80's Cressida's(new w/pump, timing belt done), etc., for around 1000$ all the time.... Maybe you could sell some high dollar parts off it and grab an "A to B" for now?

Best wishes on that, man..... I know what it's like to be up a creek......without a paddle.......unable to even find the boat, anyway! lol.

PS> Maybe if the bolt sheered off you can take the load off, center it, recenter everything, put an add in craigslist for just enough to cover some beater you find, etc.?
Old 03-26-2011 | 09:06 PM

Yah idk....i was out at the local mudd hole tonight just hanging out and there was a older fella out there probably 35sh that said if i can get it to his house he can have it done blind folder in about 2 or 3 hours. And would do it for free. He said something about he used to run around with my dad back in there high school days. But he had also been drinkin...so idk how serious he was lol. If hes serious....awsome. If not...idk..lol