84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by westy44runner
have you considered running air bumps in place of poly bumpstops.
Didn't they run some article recently in an off-road mag regarding those. Pretty good review from what I remember.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bumps? Would this be the same as Air Bags?

I know the SFA will not perform like an IFS, however I thought that running the Dual's up front it may provide some improvement rather than the spine jarring park bench like ride I am so accustomed to! LOL I had an IFS a while back that had Duals and I liked it, I just hoped with the softer TG springs that shocks would work in conjunction with the spring to provide an improved ride over a single shock set up.

Sleeper or Westy - do you recall which Off-Road mag ran that story? I would be interested in reading it if I knew what publication it was in.

John
Old 04-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by westy44runner
I am not sure if the double shock deal with be much of an advantage or how noticeable it will be. Most solid axle Toys, and swapped trucks have only a few inches of up travel and I think you will find running the desert washes that you will quickly bottom out, and frequently.

Instead of spending money on extra shocks and the hoop, have you considered running air bumps in place of poly bumpstops. I would think that would be money much better spent. As of late, I have seen a couple pairs on Pirate for $200.

I will search Pirate4x4 for those Westy! It's been so long since I have had a lifted 1984-85 Toyota 4x4 SFA I don't truly recall that there was much of anything that could be done to help with the rough ride of the Straight Front Axle. The Dual set up is about an additional $150-200 over single shocks. The other reason I considered it was the Dostch Tech MV-12 shocks I read are valved to be in a multiple shock application.

And hey, who knows, I just may run 8 shocks on the rear axle. Mmmmmmm.......Un-necessary money spent and too many shocks..........LOL

Seriously though, I value and appreciate the input and opinions of fellow Yota Tech members.....

John
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM

I didnt see the magazine article regarding the air bumps. I believe Flygtenstein here on YT runs them...maybe shoot him a PM or post up in Off road tech forum and see if you can get some answers.

Pirate will have info, and if you search the classifieds there you will see some for sale.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 PM

After thinking about it a while, I think I will runt the single shock up front. Then, if more dampening is needed I will then go to the dual hoops. I think I need to see how the springs and MV-12's do on there own before I jump into the additional $200 cost. I can always replace the single hoops with duals if I want down the road.

John
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 PM

You won't need dual shocks for the front or rear. Get a good shock like a Bilstein 5125 and you'll be fine.

I can see the benefit of air bumps after my trip to Moab. My front 4" TG springs are soft and when I was headed down hill and dropping off of 1-2' ledges, I would make contact with the bumpstops. I have my bump stops set so when the spring is flat, they hit.

The bumpstops TG provides in their kit are rock hard. I might replace them with something softer and see how that works. If I still don't like that, I will look into air bumps in the future.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 84-4Runner
You won't need dual shocks for the front or rear. Get a good shock like a Bilstein 5125 and you'll be fine.

I can see the benefit of air bumps after my trip to Moab. My front 4" TG springs are soft and when I was headed down hill and dropping off of 1-2' ledges, I would make contact with the bumpstops. I have my bump stops set so when the spring is flat, they hit.

The bumpstops TG provides in their kit are rock hard. I might replace them with something softer and see how that works. If I still don't like that, I will look into air bumps in the future.
Well, that might be where I go. I am just leary of the supposed 'Firm' ride of the Billy's. You have the same set up I will soon be going with, what did you think about the TG springs with the Bilsteins? Are they that noticably firm where your ass is tired after an hour of bumps?

John
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM

The leaf springs will be more of a determinant of how firm or soft the ride will be, much more so than the shocks.

Bilstein, Fox, BBCS...these are all good shocks. You can get Bilsteins in different valving. You can order the BBCS valved for leaf springs.
Check out Poly Performance.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:58 PM

The TG springs are very soft so having a firmer shock like a Bilstein is a good thing IMO. I felt the TG/Bilstein combo was great for my truck and worked well in Moab.

I drove the truck for a week straight for at least 5-8 hours a day and didn't feel too wore out. Hitting the bumpstops going downhill repeatedly did suck though.

Kinda of the trade-off for flexy springs though. I like flexy springs
Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 84-4Runner
The TG springs are very soft so having a firmer shock like a Bilstein is a good thing IMO. I felt the TG/Bilstein combo was great for my truck and worked well in Moab.

I drove the truck for a week straight for at least 5-8 hours a day and didn't feel too wore out. Hitting the bumpstops going downhill repeatedly did suck though.

Kinda of the trade-off for flexy springs though. I like flexy springs
Ok, thanks for the feedback on those Billy's. That is the route then I will go! Real world testing is the facts I like to hear!

John
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Ok, just an update. 10 days to go to begin the installation! I have ordered the shocks, hoops, steering stabilizer and front spring bushings. I just need to take the rear springs down to get a set of spring bushings for them.

Shock Update: I did a lot of calling. I checked into many options. I called TG to get the Billy's and they were out of the 12" and they were on BO. I also checked into eBay for some. After doing some calculating of finances (taxes are due here in 3 days!) I found I had to go with a alternative route. I ordered some DT3000 12" Doetsch Tech shocks. I couldn't fork out for the Billy's right now. The DT3000 are a fine mid range / valved shock. I won't be running so hard something will break. I can't chance or afford to have my DD in disarray. This lift will be an improvement and it's going to always be a work in progress.

I see there's several build up threads, and I think that is totally cool! I can't wait to build up with these other members and help one another in learning what to do and what not to do!

John
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

I got 2 sets of Bilsteins

5125 10"s and 12"s that are new but returns if you are interested that I can cut you a deal on if interested email me.

10s for the rear and 12s for the front

Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the offer Wabbit - perhaps down the road i will consider the Billy's. I have been pieceing this whole lift together and I have to start trimming back the outbound $$$ - that is why I didn't do them initially!

OK GUYS! T minus 4 days and counting! I have the batteries for the Digital Camera, I have all but the shocks waiting to be installed (shocks should be here by mid week!) and I spoke to the brother in law this morning! I have a date with a Sawzall and a man with a MIG (welder that is!) so I can hardly wait! My short and curly's are straightening out due to anticipation!

John
Old 04-20-2007, 11:22 AM

So, you started it yet
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom
So, you started it yet
I am working on documenting (via pictures) the current stock 4 Runner. Tonight I will be taking pictures and post up the remaining parts I have gotten. Tonight I will also be loading up all the tools I need, the parts and getting ready to head out to my Brother-in-Laws house @ 8:00am.

OMG - TOMORROW I INSTALL MY LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Look for the additional parts later on this afternoon. I am going to take a BUTT load of pictures before, during, and after the process!

John
Old 04-20-2007, 05:19 PM

MORE PARTS PICS! 12 hours and counting....

Here are some more parts I got - I have everything needed to do the lift!!

Here are the Dostch Tech 3000 series shocks. They are 12", 28" extended & 17" collapsed. The CD is a reference to size:

Shocks & Shock hoops (the hoops will be painted after the install!

More pictures coming.....

John
Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Began painting the parts I could.....

This yellow is what I hope the entire truck will be someday!

The tie rods are nice and black for the time being, however will eventually be yellow too!

John
Old 04-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Congrats on your parts piling up. I'm hoping to do my 3'' lift on Sunday!! Have fun and be sure to post up afterwards.

Where did you end up getting the hysteer from?

Hayes
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Congrats on your parts piling up. I'm hoping to do my 3'' lift on Sunday!! Have fun and be sure to post up afterwards.

Where did you end up getting the hysteer from?

Hayes
Thanks for the support & thoughts! Good luck with your lift on Sunday! I bought it from YT member INSANE04 - he is a dealer for Trail Gear and it was $300 roughly w/ IFS Box Brace to my door.

John
Old 04-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Dang, that couldn't have been with the hysteer, ifs mount and ifs box, right?

Hayes

Quick Reply: Got an Install Date! 5" up, up & away!!! My '85's Buildup