84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Full Restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019 | 08:53 PM

Full Restore

So 2 years ago I bought an 85 SR5 Turbo that needed some love. I have replaced the head, water pump, alternator, shocks, ball joints steering stabilizer etc. My next is going to be leaf springs and rear axles as the axle seals are leaking and its sagging in the rear. After that it will be on to body repair. The majority of the body will be simple sanding with a little bondo here and there, but the bed side panels have some pretty aggressive rusting that either requires replacement or or some weld repairs. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with finding a replacement bed for a reasonable price or panels. I'm finding these parts either hard to find or crazy expensive ( in the thousands). Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-15-2019 | 05:00 AM

We are on similar projects. I'm restoring an '84 Pickup - no rust, mechanically solid, new suspension... bed was a rotten mess. Actually, the previous owner abandoned the bed and replaced it with a very well-built flatbed. The truck is at the bodyshop right now - should (might) be out of paint and being reassembled.

I'm going to keep my eye open for a bed, but I'm not optimistic - I've seen the same $$$ numbers you're seeing. The beds seem to rot a lot faster than the rest of the truck.

The more I look at other (some) flatbeds and think of the utility of the flatbed, the more I'm liking it... and thinking I'll stick with it. My current flatbed is being modified - we're going to narrow it (it's slightly wider than the body) and notch the corners. The spare is going to be on a swing-away behind the cab - vertical, off-set to the driver side. Just like on a rear bumper, but up against the cab. I'm going to extend the (custom, not-yet-built) sliders beyond the cab, up and over/around the rear wheel, tied into the flatbed; sort of integrating the flatbed. Also considering a vertical section behind the cab - outlining the cab, window. But, that'll be "phase 2"... or 3.

Oh, and if you call it a "tray back" it seems more "global."

Last edited by Manhattan; 11-15-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2019 | 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Manhattan
We are on similar projects. I'm restoring an '84 Pickup - no rust, mechanically solid, new suspension... bed was a rotten mess. Actually, the previous owner abandoned the bed and replaced it with a very well-built flatbed. The truck is at the bodyshop right now - should (might) be out of paint and being reassembled.

I'm going to keep my eye open for a bed, but I'm not optimistic - I've seen the same $$$ numbers you're seeing. The beds seem to rot a lot faster than the rest of the truck.

The more I look at other (some) flatbeds and think of the utility of the flatbed, the more I'm liking it... and thinking I'll stick with it. My current flatbed is being modified - we're going to narrow it (it's slightly wider than the body) and notch the corners. The spare is going to be on a swing-away behind the cab - vertical, off-set to the driver side. Just like on a rear bumper, but up against the cab. I'm going to extend the (custom, not-yet-built) sliders beyond the cab, up and over/around the rear wheel, tied into the flatbed; sort of integrating the flatbed. Also considering a vertical section behind the cab - outlining the cab, window. But, that'll be "phase 2"... or 3.

Oh, and if you call it a "tray back" it seems more "global."

I personally do like the idea of the flat bed, however this project is ultimately going to be my girlfriend's baby. I'm very excited to paint it, going with blue pearl. But as it stands now I'm probably looking at taking it to the weld shop for repairs unless someone has some luck or advise. Hopefully by springtime I can figure this out lol. Would love to see pictures of yours mine will be going up soon.