84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

found: SOLID Axle 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found: SOLID Axle 1st Gen

Question is I don't know what year 198_?: Here is what I do know:
20R, Round headlights.....I've heard some things about the transmissions in earlier hiluxes stating that the bolt patterns are dramatically different and therefore extremely hard to get and or buy parts for. Any info on this statement?

This truck has an extremely rusted frame, so if I decide to purchase it for 500 bucks I will have to buy a new frame or get a donor, and or patch the sonof a rustbucket. The cab however is perfect...the engine runs well, and supposedly the 4wd works great. I've seen the truck and am contemplating buying it for 2 reasons: frame rusted to hell, and rumors about the older 1st gen trannies being difficult to impossible to service.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:25 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
The round headlights where used 'til 83. 84 was the starting year for the square lights. Is it a 5 speed? As for the servicing of the older tranny's, sorry can't help ya there. And as for the rust issue, is it just surface rust or can you tell if it goes beyond the surface? Total judgement call dude.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Oh, its much more than surface rust. I could shove my finger through both sides of the frame below the rocker panels. I'm looking for a trail-only buildup rig....this the the perfect truck just with the worst frame. hmm....wondering how hard frames are to come by. Well anymore information is welcom....oh the truck is a standard.

82trekker, if your reading this, do you have access to some older sa frames....any ideas? If anyone would know I figure you would

Last edited by rngrchad; 07-28-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here's some 1st gen info(i know everything.)

'79-81 - round headlights
'82-83 - rectangular headlights

'79-80 had the 20R and L43 4 speed tranny
'81-82 got either the L45 4 speed or L50 5 speed tranny
'83 got the L52 5 speed

the older trannies had a bad reputation since they weren't as strong as the later models. they can be built stronger by marlin, or replaced with a later model unit(requires crossmember relocation and driveshaft work). as far as "bolt patterns" the transfer case and engine(as long as its a 20R, 22R or 22RE) are all the same. the transmissions are a dime a dozen if you look.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
20R, Round headlights.....I've heard some things about the transmissions in earlier hiluxes stating that the bolt patterns are dramatically different and therefore extremely hard to get and or buy parts for. Any info on this statement?

This truck has an extremely rusted frame, so if I decide to purchase it for 500 bucks I will have to buy a new frame or get a donor, and or patch the sonof a rustbucket. The cab however is perfect...the engine runs well, and supposedly the 4wd works great. I've seen the truck and am contemplating buying it for 2 reasons: frame rusted to hell, and rumors about the older 1st gen trannies being difficult to impossible to service.

Chad,

You want a 1st gen I'll find you one in good shape. You need a solid frame to start with bro.

Also, mine's an 82 with square headlights. Use that as a guide when looking at others
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rngrchad

if it indeed has round headlights, then you're probally looking at a 81 trekker - VERY rare winnebago conversion using a toyota 4WD hilux. it should have a metal cab and a fiberglass bed.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
if it indeed has round headlights, then you're probally looking at a 81 trekker - VERY rare winnebago conversion using a toyota 4WD hilux. it should have a metal cab and a fiberglass bed.

Round headlights are on the Hilux back to the 70s. Why would it have to be a Trekker considering they didn't even MAKE the Trekker till 82 and it had square headlights? No trekker has round headlights. Maybe a wolverine if you can find one, but not a Trekker. They were only made in 82 and for half a year in 83 1200 total 1175 of them stayed in the U.S. most shipped to Colorado and California. The odds of finding a real trekker back East is rare.

Also, Chad, a real Trekker will have a sticker under the steering column from Winnebago displaying both VIN numbers
Old 07-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 82trekker
Round headlights are on the Hilux back to the 70s. Why would it have to be a Trekker considering they didn't even MAKE the Trekker till 82 and it had square headlights? No trekker has round headlights. Maybe a wolverine if you can find one, but not a Trekker. They were only made in 82 and for half a year in 83 1200 total 1175 of them stayed in the U.S. most shipped to Colorado and California. The odds of finding a real trekker back East is rare.

Also, Chad, a real Trekker will have a sticker under the steering column from Winnebago displaying both VIN numbers

learn something new every day... i knew they made something similar to the trekker (wolverine) w/ the round headlights. i ASSumed that it was still a trekker..
Old 07-29-2005, 04:46 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...64780779QQrdZ1

Chad,

Buy this one above, I'll go to NJ with you with my trialer and pick it up.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:46 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Chad - 82 Trekker is dead on - there is no earthly reason to ever STart out with a rusted out frame on a truck so common. And a 'frame replacement' is probably the single most difficult 'job' imaginable, especially with a rusted out rig. Can you imagine dissassembling an entire truck? Engine, trans, axles, springs, cab, bed, radiator, brake lines, fuel lines - everything laid out in your yard? Get a good foundation first, the rest can follow.

Bamachem - Toyota didn't make the Wolverine - it was a 4wd conversion, like a Quigley conversion today.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

i say skip this truck and find one in a better condition.... unless its really cheap and you plan on making a truggy with a tube frame anyways...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:51 PM

a 'frame replacement' is probably the single most difficult 'job' imaginable, especially with a rusted out rig. Can you imagine dissassembling an entire truck? Engine, trans, axles, springs, cab, bed, radiator, brake lines, fuel lines - everything laid out in your yard? Get a good foundation first, the rest can follow.
Can I imagine? Yep, I've done a complete frame-off on a 1985 3/4ton chevy. I have the resources, the tools, and the garage. I just don't have the time. I really like the idea of getting a great foundation to work with. You guys are dead-on, I can rip a vehicle down to the frame and rebuild, but I've never dealt w/ such a rust problem.....I'm going to hold off for a little while longer on that rusted yota. I hope I come across another one in better shape....man I had my heart on that truck

83trekker, your help is much appreciated, along with the rest of the great fella's on Yotatech.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM

We'll get you in one Chad. Just be patient. Besides, it's not like your havin' problems keepin up on the trail anyways

Vince is setting up a Jonny Quest Field trip to the guys place that had my Trekker up by Mansfield. He just kinda collects yotas, fixes em' up, sells them. If he doesn't have one, he will know who will.

Next weekend if you can make it.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

rngrchad,
if you really want the veh. and need a new frame check out www.budbuilt.com
I think he has been working on new frames for these rigs, But I dont know if he has them for sale yet though. I would give him a call and find out. His website is not always up to date.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

here is a pic of one from Buds website.

Its not for sale yet, but is going to be.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 82trekker
We'll get you in one Chad. Just be patient. Besides, it's not like your havin' problems keepin up on the trail anyways

Vince is setting up a Jonny Quest Field trip to the guys place that had my Trekker up by Mansfield. He just kinda collects yotas, fixes em' up, sells them. If he doesn't have one, he will know who will.

Next weekend if you can make it.
Next weekend sounds great! I'm almost positive I'll beable to go with you two if your heading that way. This weekend I'm going climbing in WV....yeee haaaa. Keep me posted Mark.
I really have to check out those budbuilt Frames. Those look great....
-Chad
Old 07-29-2005, 05:26 PM

Wow! I just checked out that budbuilt site. NICE. I'm going to keep my eyes on that.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by seaflea
here is a pic of one from Buds website.

Its not for sale yet, but is going to be.
Um...that's friggin SAWEET!!!! Chad, get ahold of budbuilt and see what you can do with one of these. Man a frame up rebuild is just what we need if we can just get the frame. If you call, see if he has the tabs all worked out etc. engine mounts all the good stuff. Thanks for the post up SeaFlea. Stellar as usual
Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the only problem is that they've been TBA for as long as i can remember. getting jigs set up for that kind of work has got to be difficult. i've spent many a daydream drooling about a galvanized frame all pre-fabricated with crossover steering mounts and a dropped front crossmember though...

the trekker was mostly produced in '80 and '81, in 2wd and 4x4 models. never seen pics of a 2wd though. i've heard of some '82 trekkers but the only type of rig i've seen from that year was a trailblazer(similar, but different company).
Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 PM

Yeh 83trekker, I'm stoked to see someone is coming up with aftermarket frames. I read on budbuilt's site that they will also be offering 1/2 and 3/4 frames which may be an even more economical route should I end up needing to go this route.

kyl22r, you know anything of when or if you think budbuilt will ever put these into production.

Quick Reply: found: SOLID Axle 1st Gen