84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

First Yota! 85' 4Runner build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012 | 06:19 PM

First Yota! 85' 4Runner build.

Hey all, First off, I am new to this site, so bear with me. Second of all, What a recourse this place is! My roomate introduced me to it and wow! Learned a ton already.

Well anywho.. About a month ago my roomate convinced me I needed a truck (he was right) and I just so happened upon a killer deal! (in my eyes anyways). Searching craigslist found an 85' 4Runner listed for 2k. So I am thinking, dang, thats a bit out of my budget, but what the hey, I will ask him about it. So I text the kid that was selling it, only to find out that he crashed into a pole!! Well, after getting some pics from him, and some input from the roomate and a family friend, I took the two hour drive from Spokane down to lewiston and after a little bit of haggling I towed it home!

Here was the damage from the wreck.

So as can be seen there was some damage.. More than most would want to tackle (most normal people), but I had access to some equipment, so I figured, hey, why not!?

Here was the Damage list:
*Broken Tie Rod
*destroyed bumper and mounts
*broken grill
*Radiator support core was bent inwards so the fan shroud was up in the belts
*all radiator mounts were broken
*Hood was jacked
*Drivers side window wouldnt crank up. Gears were stripped.
*Muffler was missing the front side
*Rust in the usual places

The good about it
*Frame was minimally tweaked, not bad at all
*Motor had been rebuilt 60K ago
*had new timing guides in
*Came with 3 sets of tires (2 on rims)
*Came with 2 12" subs in a ported box with an amp (anyone want to buy a ported box?)
*Its an 85!

So I only had 3 weeks to get this thing road worthy (had to leave for college in Rexburg ID. 500 Miles away) So work began. Unfortunately I didnt get many pictures of the work in progress, but I got some mostly finished ones.

I managed to get a new Tie Rod off an 83 pickup from craigslist and a hood off an 88 off craigslist. $25 each
I ordered an OEM Grill for 25 bucks online.
Day one we got the damaged parts off, and put in the new tie rod. An alignment was short to follow We also swapped out all major fluids. That kid did not take care of it! it only had about 1.5 qt. of sludge (dont know that you could call it oil...) and the brake and clutch fluid looked like dirty oil...

I threw on the new hood and off I went. Here is what it looked like in front of my house next to my roomates 87' (inferno451 on here)

So while I waited for the grill to come in, I started building a bumper. I traded an older compound bow to a co-worker for an extra set of pickup doors (white with brown interior, just like the runner!) and about 200 feet of 1", 1 1/4" and 2" pipe. (I would say that was quite the deal is I may say so myself!)
I picked up a winch plate form Harbor Freight (35 bucks on sale!) which served as the main platform for my bumber. I cut 7 inches off the ends and used those as the mounting brackets. Because the bumper mounts on the frame were jacked, I welded on some bolts as studs to some 3/8" scrap steel I had from work and welded all that to my frame. It not only strengthened up the front end, but also is an AWESOME platform for mounting.
Here is a pic of us test fitting the winch plate onto the studs.

I made the winch sit much higher than most. I like the look of that better and it doesnt ruin the approach angle. We used a 12,000lb winch as the test fitter, and it looked good. One day later the bumper was done and ready to go!! To this day it still needs painting, But I am at school now, so that makes finding the time a little more difficult.

Here is a pic of the first wheeling treck with it. Handled like a champ!! DEFINITELY needs new shocks. I feel every bump 6 times and its in serious need of a Zuk mod. All bump stops have about an inch of travel... yeah...

I have also done a few side projects on it in the mean time. Swapped out window regulator, and door panels etc. Detailed the inside pretty well and fixed the passenger seat (didnt slide forewards).

Here is how it stands today (although right now its is topless and doorless )

So far the task list has been this.

Done (Built or Replaced):
*Radiator Core
*Tie Rod
*Grille
*Bumper
*Hood
*Starter
*Battery
*Window Regulator
*Door Panels
*New Glass Pack Muffler

To Do soon:
*Paint Bumper (already have)
*Charge AC
*Replace Stereo (already have)
*Change all Gear Oil (already have)
*ZUK Mod (any suggestions?)
*Shocks
*Extend Diff Breathers
*Install the CB Radio and PA (already have)

Well There you have it! Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Spazzcdnm; 09-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2012 | 06:21 PM

hmm... the pictures dont seem to want to work.. any advice?
Old 09-18-2012 | 07:25 PM

Try using Photobucket, always works for me also very easy
Old 09-18-2012 | 09:58 PM

Much better looks like a nice project! Any big plans?? Gears, tires, lift, etc.??? Either way looks like fun
Old 09-19-2012 | 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 17toyotaman
Much better looks like a nice project! Any big plans?? Gears, tires, lift, etc.??? Either way looks like fun
Well, Being that I am still a poor college student, BIG plans, while yes I would love to do them, just arent feasible. So really its small things at a time for me. It still needs to be my DD and college commuter for now, so nothing that would put it out of commission for more than a few hours.

Eventually I would like to get some 33"s on there and maybe a slight lift. But until I am more established, I want mostly stock. Once I have a career (and the funds that come with that), I can turn it into the big project crawler.
Any recommendations on cheap and easy mods that can be done in the parking lot?
Old 09-19-2012 | 05:25 AM
Banned

You should add working pics to original post. Helps make more sense.

Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Old 09-19-2012 | 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You should add working pics to original post. Helps make more sense.

Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Awesome! Thanks a lot! I didnt realize I could edit after having it posted for that long!