84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Cold start injector - stuck or clogged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020 | 06:29 AM

Cold start injector - stuck or clogged?

I am trying to revive an '85 (I do rhymes) that has been sitting a few years. It is an Arizona truck, no rust and super clean and original. I drained the varnished gas and pulled the tank, cleaned it, sealed with redkote and installed a new fuel pump. I realize I need to change the fuel filter, I will do that this weekend. However, I wanted to see if the fuel pump was working. I could not hear it running while cranking, so I jumpered the check connector and then I could hear it with key on. I tried to start the motor and it would catch for a second and die. I wanted to see if fuel was getting past that fuel filter so I pulled the banjo bolt out at the cold start injector and it sprayed gas just fine at that fuel line. I reinserted the banjo bolt, had my buddy crank the motor and no spray from the cold start injector. I could hear a gurgling sound. I pulled the injector and I am looking for a place to get it ultrasonicly cleaned. How can I tell if the injector is still good before I pay to have it shipped and cleaned? Is gurgling an indicator it is stuck or clogged? I put 12v to it in my garage and can hear it clicking.
Old 09-30-2020 | 12:03 PM

You can pull the injector off the TB, reattach the banjo bolt so it has fuel, and it's electric plug, place it into a container to catch the fuel it sprays, if any. Make sure then engine is good and cold. Then watch the spray pattern it makes, if any, when the truck is cranked.

You'll be able to tell quickly whether the injector is functioning at all, and if so, how.

Remember, if it doesn't spray at all, you have to determine if it's the CSI's temperature sensor, wiring, the CSI itself, whatever.

Good luck!
Pat☺